alan

isLoggedin() and isSuperuser() doing nothing (as if commented out) in a PW3 site - did I miss something?

Sorry folks if this is obvious to most and I missed something in the docs or here in the forum, but, I have cheerfully used code such as:

if($user->isLoggedin()) {
  echo " loggedIn";
} else {
  echo " notLoggedIn";
}

in PW 2.x sites.

Now on a v3 site I am finding even the most basic test to see if the viewer is logged in or `isSuperuser()` is not giving an error but simply doing nothing - not evaluating.

For example, the top of a typical template reads:

<?php namespace ProcessWire;

if($user->isLoggedin()) {
				echo " loggedIn";
			} else {
				echo " notLoggedIn";
			}

I have `debug` turned on.

Is there something obvious I have missed, perhaps a step required for v3 that's not required for v2 to allow access to $user data?

Thanks for any pointers.

Nothing different from PW2 to 3 really. This code is even in the default install themes and working normally.

• Like 1

Thanks @Soma for confirming that.

I'm confused in that case as I have a site where this test is failing.

I'll go back and re-re-check to see if I am missing something else.., thanks again for the sanity check 👍

Thanks @Mustafa-Online - I was pretty certain it was good, now the worse bit, working out what else I have here that's causing this ;)

• Like 1

Check $user with var_dump if it has the expected user. My guess is that you overwrite $user somewhere. Where do you have this code?

• Like 2

Thanks @tpr, I wondered if I had too and so previously had done a `print_r($user)` and got a dump that looked convincingly like an array of user info, so I assumed I had not overwritten it. But I now see I get the same dumped output whether logged in or not... So that seems to suggest it's not null, is an array but looks like maybe it's an array of stuff that is not the $user object!

Thanks for the pointer, I will go back and look harder at that now and report back here, cheers!

:-[ Oh nos... I was convinced I had ruled out any chance it could be session data, browser cache, etc, for example opening the same URL in a browser I don't use for dev. But I think it was somehow polluted session from using the CodeKit url `http://myMacName.local:5757/` rather than the LAMP url that I tell CodeKit is where my site is running in one tab, and the LAMP (non-CodeKit) url in another tab.

tl;dr: $user may not behave as expected when previewing on a CodeKit URL, or if you do and another tab is open at the non-CodeKit URL.

Takeaway, check this first and/or if I insist on keeping both Admin and end-user view open, at different URLs, use two different browsers.

2 hours ago, alan said:

I wondered if I had too and so previously had done a `print_r($user)` and got a dump that looked convincingly like an array of user info

Sorry if it seems like I am promoting Tracy here, but if you were using her, you could just do this in the Console panel and you'd instantly see if $user is an object and what the name of that user is. 

59ea34e926131_ScreenShot2017-10-20at10_38_31AM.png.e392b8063aa383e3962d26fdfffa0253.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@adrian not at all! I love being reminded of Tracy.

Off to go look it up again. I am embarrassed to say I looked briefly when you released Tracy and I think I saw some dependancy of mine that meant a slight question and I never went further.

I am very impressed to see that you can do per your screenshot, clearly I am a total newb' in some respects, when it comes to debugging, I will turn on, er, `debug` and that's about as far as I get, then it's adding `echo` here and there to see stuff.

tl;dr I am eXCITEd to go look at your module!

Thanks! 👍

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, adrian said:

Sorry if it seems like I am promoting Tracy here

Developing a website or whatever without Tracy is for masochists! Sorry I can't resist! :lol:

• Like 5

o_O
s t u n n e d
to see what I have been missing by not using Tracy.

THANK you again @adrian for the post and for Tracy! ^_^

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, adrian said:

Sorry if it seems like I am promoting Tracy here, but if you were using her

Never considered Tracy as a she :). But yeah, its a girl's name isn't it.

I'm gonna call Tracy a `she` from now on.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Been meaning to do it for awhile, this reminded me. Gonna go and install her now.

• Like 1

One of those times that even though I'm pretty pleased with my progress, a quick scroll in there tells me I've only just got over a few small rocks at the bottom of the massive PHP mountain.

59ea4d861f15e_ScreenShot2017-10-20at20_19_51.thumb.png.71d180eba0f693917d168e9b9638c908.png

Do you leave this on when a site goes live or uninstall it?

Actually @alan - I should note that in some instances using the Console panel for this purpose may not achieve what you are looking for. If your template had overridden $user somewhere you might be better off doing bd($user) or bd($user->name) just before that isLoggedin() check so you know you are getting the value that is being used right there in your code.

You can do this in your code editor, or you can even do it in the Template Editor panel and use the "Test" button - that way no changes are even made to your template files, so no need to remove debug statements when you're done. Have a read here: https://processwire.com/blog/posts/introducing-tracy-debugger/#template-editor-panel

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SamC said:

One of those times that even though I'm pretty pleased with my progress, a quick scroll in there tells me I've only just got over a few small rocks at the bottom of the massive PHP mountain.

Firstly, sorry about the number of settings in Tracy - that isn't a sign of your lack of PHP knowledge, but rather a sign of my indecisiveness :)

7 minutes ago, SamC said:

Do you leave this on when a site goes live or uninstall it?

Really this is up to you. I leave it running - it's not accessible to regular users anyway. In production mode it can send you emails when it logs errors. But if you want you can uncheck the "Enable Tracy" option so there is no load at all from it, although it's not noticeable in production mode anyway.

• Like 2