abdus

Extending Template-Field contexts to increase field reuse

Based on this forum post, I wanted to find a more elegant solution for changing a field's settings per template. Hooking the page editor after it generates the form works and may still be needed for more complex modifications. But using field & template context, it's easier to modify the field settings and it greatly reduces the need for creating an almost identical field just to adjust a few things.

In my blog post, I've written on how to extend contextual options to allow any fieldtype / inputfield settings to be changed depending on the template. Hope you find it useful, and if you have any questions or comments, feel free to post them here.

https://abdus.co/blog/doing-more-with-fewer-fields-in-processwire/

• Like 13

very interesting article and very well put together.

i'm wondering why for example the maxfiles setting for images fields is not activated by default for template context. any ideas on this?

• Like 1

From @ryan in this blog post

But thus far, it has been limited to predefined properties: field label, description, visibility, column width, and required state. I've been reluctant to go further than that, because I think there's a fine line between what's useful and what's problematic here. Taken too far, you could easily end up with a confusing mess. Ultimately, the best ones to determine what's useful for field/template context and what's not, are the developers of Fieldtypes and Inputfields. 

• Like 1

yeah, he is the developer of the images fieldtype... so the question is why he thinks it would be bad to handle allowed extensions and maxfile settings in a template context?!

1 minute ago, bernhard said:

yeah, he is the developer of the images fieldtype... so the question is why he thinks it would be bad to handle allowed extensions and maxfile settings in a template context?!

Personal preference, I should think, but he also gave us (well, those of us skilled enough to take advantage) the tools to change that behaviour. ^-^

Hi @abdus,

Do you know if it's possible to use this technique to add config fields such as minWidth and maxWidth to the template context for InputfieldImage? My first attempt isn't working:

// Add more image config fields to template context
$this->addHookMethod('InputfieldImage::getConfigAllowContext', function (HookEvent $e) {
    $allowables = ['minWidth', 'minHeight', 'maxWidth', 'maxHeight'];
    $e->return = array_merge($e->return, $allowables);
});

I have a feeling that the reason this doesn't work is because those config fields are inside a fieldset. Adding the whole fieldset would be fine, but the problem is that the fieldset doesn't have a name to add to getConfigAllowContext().

Any ideas?

-----

EDIT: have sussed it out. I used another hook to give names to those fieldsets.

// Give names to image config fieldsets
$wire->addHookAfter('InputfieldImage::getConfigInputfields', function(HookEvent $event) {
    /* @var InputfieldWrapper $wrapper */
    $wrapper = $event->return;
    $f = $wrapper->getChildByName('maxWidth');
    $fieldset = $f->parent;
    $fieldset->name = 'maxDimensions';
    $f = $wrapper->getChildByName('minWidth');
    $fieldset = $f->parent;
    $fieldset->name = 'minDimensions';
});

// Add more image config fields to template context
$this->addHookMethod('InputfieldImage::getConfigAllowContext', function (HookEvent $e) {
    $allowables = ['maxDimensions', 'minDimensions'];
    $e->return = array_merge($e->return, $allowables);
});

• Like 4