Cropimage Thumbnail Subfolder

reems

Hi,

With the CropImage Module thumbnails are created with a prefix and stored in the same directory as the original file.

Instead, I would like the thumbnails be saved in a subdirectory with the same name as the original file.

This because of a slideshow script I use.

What is the easiest way of tweaking the module to accomplish this?

Thanks,

Reems

Hi Reems

Generally, I would think it a whole lot better to work with a more versatile slideshow script. I am assuming you are using one that creates a slideshow from the whatever is in a folder, but that is rather limiting.

If you use a script where you simply list the images using the PW API with a foreach loop, then you can take advantage of being able to do things like change the order they appear in by changing the order of the images in the field.  You can loop through the thumbnails (whether created by the cropimage module, or thumbnails created using the API on a normal images field) separately from the main images very easily.

I must admit, I have not come across a script that just uses folder contents for a long, long time - I didn't think anyone wrote them like that anymore. :)

Hi Joss.

I agree, but scripts for background slideshows are limited. And in this case images are indeed loaded using the PW api and a foreach loop.

Only for the thumbnails, a directory is needed. I asked the slideshow developers if that could be changed, but it will take some time still.

So in the time between I'm looking for a solution as mentioned in my post.

Loads of them listed on Google, search for JQuery Background Slide Show

The main problem with using a folder based system is that you are completely stuck with it on the page you want - one version only.

With any other system, you can create a different slideshow on every page if you want, or even several on each page, all easily customised from the back end.

• Like 1

If you want to use that one, you can also do something like this:

myGallery = new mbBgndGallery({
    containment:"body", // or "#myGalleryElement"
     "elements/1.jpg",
     "elements/2.jpg",
     "elements/3.jpg",
     "elements/4.jpg",
     "elements/5.jpg"
     ],
});

That way you don't have to read a directory or folder.

Reems, if you were to specify exactly what you need the functionality to do on the page (without thinking about the script you are trying to use), what would it be?

background slideshows?  :undecided:  ;)

@Reems

What 'other' problems did you encounter with the other scripts? Maybe better to state those here and get (hopefully) solutions rather than use a script that constrains you... :D;)

• Like 1

My idea was not to bother you with all the problems that I had with other gallery scripts. It's a PW forum, not a JQuery forum.

But, maybe, knowing that (what Joss asks) I need only a basic fullscreen background slideshow, with the possibility to:

• transitions and effects
  • controls
  • thumbnails including flexibility in placing
  • generating the image and thumbnail list with the PW api as I already do now for the images itself

Then....maybe one of you has already good experience with another script then BgndGallery.

See as it is now http://www.travelinluxury.nl

The controls on the left in the footer are also part of the script.