Make processwire better with these improvements

dotnetic

Install Process

Why not try to create a database automatically if it does not exist?

When I entered HTTP Host Names and the DB Auth failed, I had to enter this information again.
Please do not delete data in input fields if something was entered incorrectly.

Adding fields
When I add a field, I want to add it directly to one or more templates.
This is solved very cumbersome.
It would be better if I get a list of all templates and select in which templates the field should be added.

Deleting fields
"This field can not be deleted because it is used by one or more template ( s ) ."
It should be displayed, in which templates the field is used.

New Option: Force delete field
There should be an option to force delete a field.
"The field $fieldname is going to be removed from the following templates
  • a
  • b
  • c

Are you sure to delete it? (yes)(no)"

New Option: Force delete template
This Template is used by 3 pages:
  • Page 1
  • Page 2
  • Page 3
Are you sure to delete it? (yes)(no)"

What should happen with pages that have this template currently assigned after removal?
( ) Delete them too
(X) Assign a new template

Creating new templates

When i created a new template with template->new from the dropdown-menu i don´t want to get back to the overview page for templates. I want to edit my newly created template directly. So please redirect to the edit page instead. This is a different behavior to adding fields, which works as intended.

What was that fieldname again?
Please show the name of the field after the label if debug mode is on (or always?)
P5Mk0cEMcdhef2pMwpEbrQ9nOJ4ctk.png

Easier select field
The option/label should be only divided by =
If no label is assigned, display the option as label
uPhzOvwNz0mO8VKBQqXBm36VxHcrt6.png

What do you think of these improvements?
  • Like 5

What was that fieldname again?

Please show the name of the field after the label if debug mode is on (or always?)

Uh, this is already available when debug=true :-)...though a bit wonky in a few use cases...You need to hover on the arrow on the right of the field when editing a page. 

Otherwise, some of your suggestions are neat :-)

+1 for some of these, especially the force delete field/template ones. It's apparently a safety feature to make it harder to lose important data, but also very, very annoying at times. IMHO a proper warning would be quite enough: "this will remove [the field from following templates / following pages using this template], are you sure you want to continue?"

Deleting fields

"This field can not be deleted because it is used by one or more template ( s ) ."

It should be displayed, in which templates the field is used.

This functionality already exists as well - albeit not at that stage of the process  :)

On the Fields page, there is a column in the table for "Templates", which has a number in it next to the fields. Click the number and it will show you the templates that are using it. This actually goes to the templates page and activates the "Filter" menu at the top.

post-1537-0-71712100-1397205667_thumb.pn

+1 for some of these, especially the force delete field/template ones. It's apparently a safety feature to make it harder to lose important data, but also very, very annoying at times. IMHO a proper warning would be quite enough: "this will remove [the field from following templates / following pages using this template], are you sure you want to continue?"

I'm actually glad that ProcessWire has a lot of this type of safety features.  This particular one has saved me many times. Sometimes I'm very bull headed about things.  Even with a warning I would have deleted a template (because of course I know what I'm doing).  Whenever I get that error, I have to stop and think "Oh yeah, I forgot about that" and then to proceed to delete the template where it won't affect what I have spent hours working on.

I can't speak for everyone, but sometimes I think I'm smarter than I am.  The safety feature makes me smile because I know that ProcessWire is a development platform that protects me from myself.  :rolleyes:

Maybe there could be an option to turn off some of these safety features for anyone else.  I just hope that one doesn't change anytime soon.

As stated earlier, some of these suggestions have merit.

• Like 6

+1 for a config option to lower the security for people feeling like heros :)

seriously: It should be configurable in $config but for superusers only.

not seriously: Then I wish to have a module that tests me on login as superuser to check my reactions and according to that enable or disable it. (Or even don't let me login if the testresult is to bad :) )

• 2 weeks later...