horst

Session Handler Database - do not delete old sessions

Hi, I'm using the Database Session Handler the first time with a site and have noticed that the no more used sessions get not deleted automatically. They get deleted when I'm logged in and go to Setup -> Sessions.

Is this normal behave or is there something wrong with the server the site is running on.

How is the deletion triggert? Can I do something together with lazy-cron?

I believe in one of the posts about session files not getting deleted Ryan mentioned that the database session handler also relies on the native PHP garbage collection. On some Ubuntu servers, with default settings php gc does not run. Maybe you're on a ubuntu server as well?

http://processwire.com/talk/topic/5787-sessions-thousands-of-them/?fromsearch=1

• Like 2

@SiNNuT: thanks, yes it's Ubuntu. I will try that fix first with:

ini_set("session.gc_probability", 1);
ini_set("session.gc_divisor", 100);

And if this doesn't do it, I will delegate it to a cron-job.

• Like 2

Let me know you that goes for you, because i am just in the middle of these issues on a Ubuntu server myself and by the looks of it setting these options in config.php does not seem to work but i'll give it a couple of days more.

Ok, I try out a few days and come back here.

(actually it looks promising, I have 5k+ sessions and the oldest one was created 24 hours and 10 minutes ago)

EDIT:

Now, almost 2 hours later, I have 200 records less. Oldest entry is 23 hours and 30 minutes ago.

Server-Engine: Apache 2.0 Handler - PHP 5.4.24-nmm1
Linux dd13102 3.2.0-57-generic #87-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 12 21:35:10 UTC 2013 x86_64
Edited by horst

High five, putting those settings in config.php seems to have solved it for me as well.

• Like 2

Whoa, just got bit by this as well. Couple of my sites (on an Ubuntu server) were using SessionHandlerDB, so this happened:

> select count(*) from sessions;
+----------+
| count(*) |
+----------+
|  1561416 |
+----------+

1.5 million rows in the sessions table – "whoops". Should probably add sensible session.gc_probability number for these sites 😅

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Juergen
      Hello @ all,
      I am creating a new inputfield/fieldtype to store opening hours, but I am struggeling to save values from multiple dynamic created inputfields in 1 column of the database.
      Scenario:
      The user can enter one or more opening times per day in a UI.
      Fe:
      Monday open from 08:00 to 12:00 and from 14:00 to 17:00 Tuesday open from 08:00 to 12:00 and from 14:00 to 19:00 and so on
      Via a little JavaScript you can add as much opening times as you need per day - the additional inputfield will be created dynamically.
      After form submission all the values are in the POST array -> this works (see example below):
      ProcessWire\WireInputData Object ( [openinghours_mo-0-start] => 09:00 [openinghours_mo-0-finish] => 13:00 [openinghours_mo-1-start] => 14:00 [openinghours_mo-1-finish] => 18:00 [openinghours_mo-2-start] => 21:00 [openinghours_mo-2-finish] => 23:00 [openinghours_tu-0-start] => 09:00 [openinghours_tu-0-finish] => 13:00 [openinghours_tu-1-start] => 14:00 [openinghours_tu-1-finish] => 18:00 [openinghours_we-0-start] => 09:00 [openinghours_we-0-finish] => 13:00 [openinghours_we-1-start] => 14:00 [openinghours_we-1-finish] => 18:00 [openinghours_th-0-start] => 09:00 [openinghours_th-0-finish] => 13:00 [openinghours_th-1-start] => 14:00 [openinghours_th-1-finish] => 18:00 [openinghours_fr-0-start] => 09:00 [openinghours_fr-0-finish] => 13:00 [openinghours_fr-1-start] => 14:00 [openinghours_fr-1-finish] => 18:00 [openinghours_sa-0-start] => [openinghours_sa-0-finish] => [openinghours_so-0-start] => [openinghours_so-0-finish] => ) The property name is always the name attribute of the field 😉 . If the property is empty means closed on that day.
      Now I need to combine all those values into 1 array (or json array) and store it in the database in 1 column called 'hours' in my case (see screenshot below):

In my ___processInput(WireInputData $input) method I have tried to make it work like this:
      public function ___processInput(WireInputData $input): self { $name = $this->attr('name'); $value = $this->attr('value'); //input object includes always every input on the page, so lets filter out only inputs from this field //we need to do this, because the number of values is variable - so extract only values that starts with $name.'_' $nameAttributes = []; foreach($input as $key=>$value){ if(substr($key, 0, strlen($name.'_')) === $name.'_'){ $nameAttributes[$key] = $value; } } // loop through all inputfields of this fieldtype $time_values = []; foreach($nameAttributes as $nameAttr => $value) { $time_values[$nameAttr] = $value; } } //save it in the database $input->set('hours', serialize($time_values)); return $this; } The only important part of this code is the last part with the serialize function.
      After saving it will create a record in the database, but the value is always NULL (default value) (see below).

Checking $time_values returns all the values, but printing out "$this" shows me that the property "hours" inside the Openinghours object is empty (see below) - so the mistake must be there, but I dont know where?!?!?!?
      [title] => Home [openinghours] => ProcessWire\OpeningHours Object ( [data] => Array ( [hours] => ) ) If I check the sleepValue() method or the sanitizeValue() - they are also empty. So it seems that the values will not reach these methods. I havent found a clear documentation of whats going on behind the saving process of an inputfield.
      As far as I know the saving process starts with the form submission. The values are in the POST array and will be processed by the processInput() method. Before they will be saved in the database they will be sanitized by the sanitizeValue() mehtod and afterwards they will be prepared for storage in the sleepValue() method.  The last step is the storage itself.
      Has someone an idea what is missing by storing values from multiple fields into 1 database column or has someone a working example of such a scenario on github to help me out.
      A clear explanation of the storage process will be also helpful.
      Thanks and best regards
    • By Pip
      Hi Everyone 
      I've been working on Processwire for two months now. Structuring the website as needed. Unsure why but I'm getting this one now. Seems my fields has crashed. 
      I've tried googling some answers but can't seem to find a step by step guide on how to rectify this. Any advise? Practically new on this. 
      TIA. 

• By Rodd
      Hi everyone!
      I have a website in a production environment and I want to duplicate it in a local environment. I exported the content of the website (with the 'Site Profile Exporter' module) but I cannot use it actually. I've got an issue with the database. I imported this one in MAMP then.

I also exported the pages (with the 'ProcessPagesExportImport' module), but I cannot import it to my local website because the fields don't exist. So I created this fields, but I have this error :
      How can I use the elements that already exist and are presents in my database? How can I duplicate correctly the templates, fields and pages?
      Thanks by advance
      PS: Sorry if my english is bad

• By derelektrischemoench
      Hi guys,
      I'm facing a somewhat strange issue here which I can't quite wrap my head around. 
      I have a PW site in development which runs on three machines simultaneously, one staging server which is accessible as a preview instance for my customer, my PC and my laptop. 
      I have three completely identical settings on each of the three machines (same apache version, same php version, same codebase, same database); however on my PC I am unable to log into the backend. I get no error message or anything, when I try to login; i just get redirected to the login  page. I have already enabled database driven sessions (I enabled them on my laptop, then I dumped the database and copied it to my pc); I have cleared the cache directory; I cleared the sessions in the database; I cleared my browser caches, I tried different browsers, all to no avail; I am unable to login when using my pc, the instances all have the same .htaccess.
      Is there something I'm missing here or does anyone have a clue as to what my issue here might be? I'm using processwire 3.0.123
      Thanks for any input, greetings
      derelektrischemoench

//edit: I've noticed something interesting; despite the directories of my web folders being the same layout; when I open the admin page i get a 404 on the processwire/ resource in the networks panel of chrome; on my laptop I get a  200.... I guess this is where my problem is; but why?

• By derelektrischemoench
      Hi guys,
      I'm facing a somewhat strange issue here which I can't quite wrap my head around. 
      I have a PW site in development which runs on three machines simultaneously, one staging server which is accessible as a preview instance for my customer, my PC and my laptop. 
      I have three completely identical settings on each of the three machines (same apache version, same php version, same codebase, same database); however on my PC I am unable to log into the backend. I get no error message or anything, when I try to login; i just get redirected to the login  page. I have already enabled database driven sessions (I enabled them on my laptop, then I dumped the database and copied it to my pc); I have cleared the cache directory; I cleared the sessions in the database; I cleared my browser caches, I tried different browsers, all to no avail; I am unable to login when using my pc, the instances all have the same .htaccess.
      Is there something I'm missing here or does anyone have a clue as to what my issue here might be? I'm using processwire 3.0.123
      Thanks for any input, greetings
      derelektrischemoench