Weekly update – 4 October 2024

ryan

In the last couple of weeks I’ve been to several cities in Spain, France and Italy. I’d never been to any of those countries before (or Europe for that matter), so it was an exciting trip. Though the goal was for my kids to broaden their horizons and experience other parts of the world, as well as spend time with my parents and family. We got back this week and have been recovering from jet lag (another thing I’d not experienced before). The 6 hour difference was no problem getting there, but coming back, it’s a little harder to adjust! 

Next week I turn 50 years old (ugh), and then the following week I’m back in Europe again, except this time in the Netherlands on a bike trip with a client, and without my kids and parents. I’m not sure I’ll be able to do many core updates during the 10 day trip but do expect to have internet access this time, so will at least be online regularly and hope to be here in the forums. After that trip, I won’t be traveling again for a long time, and the focus will be on getting our next main/master version out. 

I noticed this week that @Robin S is now beating me as our most prolific module developer, with 72 modules! Great job and thanks for all the great modules Robin S.! 

• Like 23

Glad you're having a good time on our continent, Ryan! Nice choice!

It is so cool you are about to celebrate your first half of a century! Seems like you're having a great life do far. But you didn't have all those 50 years to work on PW pitifully, as you had to spend time on childhood and etcetera. Your next half centuries you won't have this excuse))) So waiting for the things to come!

Congratulations to @Robin S! Your modules really make the ecosystem a place to thrive! Thank you!

• Like 2

Welcome to the 50s. And nice to know that @Robin S is so prolific. I sometimes get asked by clients what happens if I have a collision with a proverbial bus, and it's a really good selling point to be able to say there's another Kiwi (what we New Zealanders call ourselves after our national bird - not a fruit) who's a major contributor to the system I use for most of my sites, and who's also developed some quite high profile national sites with it.

I suppose I should get a move on and write some modules, but I guess it's testimony to the ProcessWire ecosystem that I haven't needed to as yet (well I have, but they're for specific client business processes, so not something I can release publicly.)

Speaking of broadening horizons and geography, even though Robin is on the same island as me, we're at opposite ends, and he's at least a 12 hour drive away. I know I shocked my mother-in-law when she came here, because her idea of an island was that there'd be sea all around, and I took her on a trip that involved very full days with 3 or 4 days without ever seeing the coast.

• Like 2

@ryan Happy upcoming birthday! Great to see that you're getting some travel in!

2 hours ago, ryan said:

I’m not sure I’ll be able to do many core updates during the 10 day trip

M'dude, you're going to be in the Netherlands. The core can wait IMHO 👍 We had a great time when we last visited, enjoy!

@Robin S doing the lords work 🙏

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ryan said:

Great job and thanks for all the great modules Robin S.!

My pleasure. The hooks and inputfields APIs in ProcessWire make module development an absolute dream. It's very satisfying seeing the results you can get with just a little code, and working on modules provides a motivation to dig into the core code so I learn a lot in the process. Also, another shout out to @adrian's amazing Tracy Debugger, which has been transformative for my coding. I have several more modules in progress so watch this space. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2