PW 3.0.191 – Core updates

ryan

This week there have been various small core updates and fixes but the biggest change was to the installer in 3.0.191. Last week we removed all but the site-blank profile from the core, cutting in half the size of the core. And because of this, the installer now needed to provide more direction about downloading and installing other site profiles. So it now does that and it also links to a new page that describes all of the past and current site profiles, along with additional details on how to create and install site profiles.  

Speaking of creating site profiles, the Profile Exporter module was also updated this week. It is now PW 3.x exclusive and is updated to recognize and work with various aspects and $config properties that are specific to 3.x. 

ProcessWire 3.0.191+ and the Profile Exporter module now support a custom /site/install/finish.php file which is a template file that is called when installation of a new ProcessWire and site profile has finished, but before it has cleaned up the installer. It is a plain PHP file that has access to PW's API and the installer, so it can do pretty much anything you could do from a regular template file or module. I added this because I noticed a few issue reports for the Profile Exporter module were requesting support of one thing or another, and I found that nearly all of them could be added just by having a profile-specific finishing file, for those that want it. So if you want your site profile to perform any other types of customizations on top of what you can already do with a site profile, this is the place to do it. 

This is where things are at this week but perhaps we'll continue to go further with the installer in supporting more things too in the new year, as there have been several good ideas. Thanks for reading and I hope that you all have a Merry Christmas and/or Happy Holidays! 

Edited by ryan
Fixed link
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 4

So it now does that and it also links to a new page that describes all of the past and current site profiles, along with additional details on how to create and install site profiles ..... added just by having a profile-specific finishing file, for those that want it. So if you want your site profile to perform any other types of customizations on top of what you can already do with a site profile, this is the place to do it. 

Hi Ryan, Big thanks for doing this, as it adds to beginners friendly and jump start with Processwire.

Merry christmas to the Processwire Family

• Like 5

@ryan I am unable to create pages with 3.0.191

I wanted to use the quiet days to set up a small website for a friend.
DEV 3.0.191, multilanguage German and English with German as the default, as I did countless times.
The website was pretty basic with only AOS and Combo modules. When I wanted to setup a basic page structure I noticed that I cannot create pages, as PW redirected me to Admin - Access - Users, with the warnings that the page name is already in use, the page has been created, and has been renamend to xxxx-100, which wasn't the case. No page was created.

A downgrade to 3.0.190 solved the problem and everything works as it should.

Screenshot:

page-creation.jpg.00de0792b1af8e930fa04d2eed691436.jpg

Translations:

1. The page /de/bio/test-100, using template Standardseite(basic-page) has been created.(not true)
  2. Warning! the page name test is already in use and has been changed to test-100(not true)
  • Like 1

@ryanI'm also having problems. If I try to change the template I get:

ProcessWire: ProcessPageEdit: Page cannot be its own parent
DEBUG MODE BACKTRACE ($config->debug == true):
#0 C:\inetpub\wwwroot\wire\core\Page.php(708): ProcessWire\Page->setParent(Object(ProcessWire\Page))
#1 C:\inetpub\wwwroot\wire\core\Page.php(1769): ProcessWire\Page->set('parent', Object(ProcessWire\Page))
#2 C:\inetpub\wwwroot\wire\modules\Fieldtype\FieldtypeRepeater\FieldtypeRepeater.module(1126): ProcessWire\Page->__set('parent', Object(ProcessWire\Page))
#3 C:\inetpub\wwwroot\wire\modules\Fieldtype\FieldtypeRepeater\FieldtypeRepeater.module(766): ProcessWire\FieldtypeRepeater->getRepeaterPageParent(Object(ProcessWire\Page), Object(ProcessWire\RepeaterField))
#4 C:\inetpub\wwwroot\wire\core\Wire.php(423): ProcessWire\FieldtypeRepeater->___wakeupValue(Object(ProcessWire\Page), Object(ProcessWire\RepeaterField), NULL)
#5 C:\inetpub\wwwroot\wire\core\WireHooks.php(951): ProcessWire\Wire->_callMethod('___wakeupValue', Array)
#6 C:\inetpub\wwwroot\wire\core\Wire.php(485): ProcessWire\WireHooks->runHooks(Object(ProcessWire\FieldtypeRepeater), 'wakeupValue', Array)
#7 C:\inetpub\wwwroot\wire\modules\Fieldtype\FieldtypeRepeater\FieldtypeRepeater.module(636): ProcessWire\Wire->__call('wakeupValue', Array)
#8 C:\inetpub\wwwroot\wire\core\Field.php(980): ProcessWire\FieldtypeRepeater->getInputfield(Object(ProcessWire\Page), Object(ProcessWire\RepeaterField))
etc...

It happens on pages with templates that have repeaters. It looks like this commit https://github.com/processwire/processwire/commit/b47297fd4adafcd6f1b12e943380e3f796793b7b is the culprit? Pages.php, line 1899, commenting this line: if($id !== null) $options['id'] = $id; fixes the error.

This is weird. I set up a clean installation as well, single language with shipped blank profile, and cannot create a new page with template basic-page.

However... I can create a new template and create exactly 1 new page with it. A second page redirects me to the edit screen of the former created page... what's going on here?

Hello @ryan and others.

In this 3.0.191 version of PW i seem to have access to field "ProFields: PageTable" is that a mistake?

I can choose it, and such and configure it, but have no ide how to configure it cause i can´t find any info for its use.
And since i am not a ProFields member maybe i can´t access that info,

Happy Holidays and Happy New Year.

On 12/29/2021 at 5:37 PM, rick said:

You can use the query feature of Tracy (ProcessWire Info Panel) to search various categories, such as github...
https://github.com/processwire/processwire/search?utf8=✓&q=PageTable

Thank you for the tips.

But imagine that i was not that advanced and just wanted some documentation to know how the field worked and should be used, where could i find that without going through the code itself?

Happy new years.

1 hour ago, EyeDentify said:

But imagine that i was not that advanced and just wanted some documentation to know how the field worked and should be used, where could i find that without going through the code itself?

I know what you are looking for. Unfortunately, there isn't any. However, there is another alternative search that might help. For example:
site:processwire.com/talk your-query-here

You can substitute "blog" for "talk" (talk == this forum) and get a listing of articles covering your specific query, which is the closest thing to the type of documentation you are accustomed to.

I see by your post count you have been here a while, so you know how helpful all the members are when you have a question. That is one of the best things about ProcessWire; This community.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rick said:

I know what you are looking for. Unfortunately, there isn't any. However, there is another alternative search that might help. For example:
site:processwire.com/talk your-query-here

You can substitute "blog" for "talk" (talk == this forum) and get a listing of articles covering your specific query, which is the closest thing to the type of documentation you are accustomed to.

I see by your post count you have been here a while, so you know how helpful all the members are when you have a question. That is one of the best things about ProcessWire; This community.

Ok. Thank you @rick for all your help.
I will investigate further and return if any questions arise.