web host expectations

Alex

Hi,

I have had a problem installing processwire, I had some compatibility problems during install (see screen grab) but tried to push through as I know sometimes they are not critical. After entering an admin username and password I got the admin page but with no page tree, when I navigate to my folder where I installed processwire the page is completely blank.

post-165-0-49646900-1358112944_thumb.jpg

The web host is running PHP 5.1.6, I asked them to upgrade to at least 5.2.4 and they have said:

"We have an update from our service engineer, they advised that this is shared web hosting and they do not do any upgrade for one user. The web server platform is using zeus not apache."

In addition I had to ask them to create a database, they do not give open access to create your owbases.

Can anyone confirm for me its likely the version of PHP holding me back here, also is the zeus server a problem also?

Should I expect better from the web host?

Regards,
Alex

Looks like the version of PHP would be the main thing. I would be wary of any host who is not in a hurry to upgrade from what is now a quite old version of PHP to be honest.

Also Zeus means .htaccess won't work and you need a whole different set of rules from memory as it's quite different in that regard.

Okay, so I was beaten to the post by the twins above!

The rewrite rules have to be different, but you are messed up by the php version anyway - in fact, I am not many recent releases of CMSs will run on that - some are insisting on 5.3 minimum now.

I would strongly suggest you change web hosts, to be honest. That doesn't sound like a main stream hosting company to me - I am not even sure if Zeus is even being developed any more. I know it got bought a few years back and their old support site seems to have been last updated in 2010.

Joss

• Like 1

thanks for the quick replys, much like I thought.

I dealt with a different host who was using Zeus, and they shifted the client's site over to Litespeed with no problem after a couple of emails.

I'll give this host another chance to help me out...

cheers

It would be good if there was a 'how to' or tutorial on getting processwire working on a Zeus server (if its possible!)

This is the second time I have encountered a Zeus server and I don't build many websites.

@Alex

There are a lot of them around, which is interesting because I did a lot of digging last night about Zeus and I certainly would not install it now.

It was highly regarded as a lightweight and scalable server, but when Riverbed bought Zeus in 2010, they were interested in their balance loading systems and not the server.

Consequently, they just shove anyone needing support over to the old Zeus support site which has hardly been touched for pushing on three years.

It might still work, but you would have to question why a host would not be migrating away from it as fast as practically possible!

Joss

I've encountered it once in 10 years and dozens of clients. I moved the site to a new server after days wasted trying to resolve issues that don't exist with other hosting.

This was names.co.uk as well some years ago.

I had some more contact with this IT company, seems they are ending sales of some products including web hosting.

So thats why they have such an old set up and its not being supported at all.

Yes time to move!