100+ modules reached!

Soma

Some modules are so valuable that I think they could go to the core tho shrink your 100 modules list.

• I hope eventually that your Modules Manager would merge in the Modules section in PW.
  • Selector Test, would be a great one to be delivered with the core (uninstalled by default)
  • Admin Hot Keys ( only realy works if you use it all the time )
  • Page Delete ( un-installed by default )

That would be 4 modules less :P

• Like 2

I must have a go at a module. Mind you I have no idea where to start and only the very vaguest idea of what to make a module for.

There again, the most successful piece of music I ever wrote started just like that! :)

Joss

PS: I was thinking vaguely of a customisable short-link admin menu thing so you could have a dropdown/button that says "add new blog post" or whatever that is just a short cut. Or does that already exist?

PS: I was thinking vaguely of a customisable short-link admin menu thing so you could have a dropdown/button that says "add new blog post" or whatever that is just a short cut. Or does that already exist?

This doesn't not already exist. But it seems like a good idea for a module. 

• Like 1

(We already discussed this Joss in an other thread? I still think using a special ProcessModule to create admin menu would be a great way. Like having a menu "Add" and subpages "News, Article, ...". But since default admin still has no pulldown menu it would only work well with themes like teflon. I was thinking a little about other alternatives and I think it would be easy to build a module that let's you add entries to a url in the backend to add , but haven't found a good idea where to add the "menu" and of what type.)

My personal thinking here is: Why add this whatever dropdown if you already have the most easy way to add a new page using the page tree. And it is in the same manner for all content and as you do it with all pages in PW. Once the user knows it, he knows it and it's consistent and gives a "ah it's there in the page tree" feeling you don't have if you have one big button somewhere that says "add Blogpost". If you mix these things up to much you "un-educate" the user a little and he will come every other day to ask where to do this and that. If you get what I mean. My experience with non-technical users and PW admin, so far is really, really great and they just get it first time. Never really had support with these things, and I'm a strong believer in the simplistic approach of the admin and it's flow. Clients told us they're really surprized and love the way it all works together. I think adding noise to the admin in form of buttons and features will hurt these balance. I know Ryan built it this way for a reason, it's not something that he forgot or is not possible. I believe many new devs that try out PW first time are thinking "there's nothing, so it can do nothing"... They seem to be infected by other systems that go the opposite route and hardly understand flow in a application anymore.

Also maybe this should really be part of a bigger modules that add a dashboard like admin page where you could add such things. MadeMyDay's dashboard has this functionality in I think.

I hope eventually that your Modules Manager would merge in the Modules section in PW.

This is the plan. We just need to find a way to integrate it all and make it scalable and I look forward to working with Soma on this if he's agreeable to it. I don't think the current method of displaying all the modules on 1 screen will be sustainable as the directory grows. Plus, if/when ProcessWire gets really popular, the server probably won't be able to handle the load. I'm thinking we'll eventually need the modules manager to start with a "categories" selection list, "author" selection list, "what's new", "what's popular" and "installed/updates" options, so you have to choose one of these before you start getting lists of modules. Then once we are listing modules, we've got to have a way of paginating them once it goes past 100 or 200 or something like that. Once we get to that point, we've got something that is sustainable as part of the core. I'm thinking we should target this for 2.4. 

Edit: will also want to make it skip over any modules that don't match the requirements of the installed PW version (maybe it does this already, not sure). 

Selector Test, would be a great one to be delivered with the core (uninstalled by default)

I agree, this is a "core" for me. But the reality is, once modules manager is part of the core, we'll want to potentially reduce the number of modules included with ProcessWire as part of the core. It'll be so simple for people to install modules that it simply won't be necessary for any modules to be part of the core except for the minimum set needed to install and run a blank PW. 

• Like 2

I agree, this is a "core" for me. But the reality is, once modules manager is part of the core, we'll want to potentially reduce the number of modules included with ProcessWire as part of the core. It'll be so simple for people to install modules that it simply won't be necessary for any modules to be part of the core except for the minimum set needed to install and run a blank PW. 

1001 things I love about ProcessWire, but the vision behind it I love the most.

• Like 3