The all new Processwire homepage design

totoff

The goal here is to show ProcessWire in several different contexts to portray a lot of diversity, but that probably doesn't come across yet since we just have one set of screenshots in play at the moment. The way I see it, ProcessWire is a system, not an admin theme. If we're going to show them the system, I want to present it in the way that looks best on the page. I thought Nikola's screenshot was more attractive than mine in this context, but it's still showing the same system (and the Futura theme is beautiful). But what I'd really like is to have several sets of screenshots to rotate in here. So far I've not been able to get anyone else to send me any. :) Would love to get some screenshots of your admin theme tweaks you posted the other day in there--actually would like to implement those in the default admin theme.

• Like 3

Hey Ryan,

Totally understand (and agree with) your points. My 2 cents would be to show the default admin first, and then rotate into a theme.

Despite my few tweaks, I really like the default theme. :)

Might also be nice to have a way to give some details about what each screenshot is showing.

I'm not suggesting to make it look like this, it's just the first example that came to mind:

http://www.realmacso...re.com/courier/

Anyhow, I'll shut up on that subject for now — I should know by now that whatever you have planned will be amazing. :)

Re: My admin tweaks.

Would be honored to have those included on the default theme. I have only made a few small CSS changes that effect things when wrapped in a Fieldset.

Probably pretty easy to extend to the entire admin. I'll see if I can put that together as a theme to test it out.

Update: It also doesn't hurt to read the entire thread before commenting. :P

• Like 3

Re: My admin tweaks.

Would be honored to have those included on the default theme. I have only made a few small CSS changes that effect things when wrapped in a Fieldset.

Probably pretty easy to extend to the entire admin. I'll see if I can put that together as a theme to test it out.

I would love that, too ;)

• Like 1

At the risk of being overly critical (keep in mind it's out of absolute love) — something about the white line under the nav area feels weird to me.

Quick suggestion might be something like this:

post-474-0-78570600-1354553521_thumb.png

P.S. In that screenshot above, I also removed the shadows from the around icons. The icons are great, but the shadowing kind of makes that area look a little grubby. That said, this design is some very nice work "yet-to-be-named designer" ;)

• Like 3

At the risk of being overly critical (keep in mind it's out of absolute love) — something about the white line under the nav area feels weird to me.

Quick suggestion might be something like this:

post-474-0-78570600-1354553521_thumb.png

Much better to me. :)

• Like 1

My 2 cents would be to show the default admin first

i agree as i think the look & feel of the admin area is a very strong decision making point when choosing a cms (silverstripe has recently put much effort in revamping its admin for that reason). people should see what they get with the default install.

and, me personally, i like the default admin :)

... Antti initiated use of the Goldilocks approach in the development, which seems like the best responsive way to go ...

Aaww nuts! I wish I had come across this before committing to 320andUp. Seems like a great alternative.

I've already converted my pixels to em/rem and all widths to use percentages. However my mediaqueries are pixel based.

Be cool for my next project, thanks for the link Ryan.

Love it.

The clouds don't move for me in Chrome or Firefox on Windows 8 but they do in Safari... albeit very jerkily! Whether they move or not isn't essential though since it's the content that counts and the focus should be on the screenshots.

I'm seeing both sides of the argument (not that anyone's arguing) on having the Futura admin theme on the homepage - I wonder if these three areas should be some sort of slideshow instead? Perhaps the middle panel could start out as the default admin theme - if only to match the colours - and then fade through? It's a tricky one as all the shots show off the admin or a module, but I wonder if somehow it needs to show what you can create with ProcessWire too as Tripsite and VillaRental from your site sold me on ProcessWire ryan!

• Like 3

It's a tricky one as all the shots show off the admin or a module, but I wonder if somehow it needs to show what you can create with ProcessWire too as Tripsite andVillaRental from your site sold me on ProcessWire ryan!

I agree that it might be good for us to show what you can do with ProcessWire rather than just admin screens. Once we have a nice site directory setup, I was thinking these screenshots could pull from that, and perhaps lead into it. But I don't want to stick screenshots from my own sites into there unless they are also in rotation with other people's sites. But I'll experiment here and see what we can do. In the short term, we do need to get some more screenshots in the rotation, regardless of what they are.

Perhaps there could be a FormBuilder form set up to begin collecting these before the Site Directory is built?

Seems like a case of setting up the form and then using the publish to page option here: :)

I really like the new design. It's modern, sleek and most importantly clearly stating all of the important features up front with try out demo download links. That is what most of every other CMS has it on their site to promote their CMS. Congratulations to Ryan and his team who work hard to make it happen.

Just the small thing I have notice on the Chrome browser. Main features text is not showing up clearly (font is breaking up) on the Chrome browser. Please see attached snapshot and highlighted area. If I turn-off font-weight then looks much better. I would suggest to make a change since Chrome browser has gain lot of share in the market now-a-days.

Without CSS modification:Original

post-777-0-15642700-1354727630_thumb.jpg

With CSS modification:Removed Font-Weight

post-777-0-27344100-1354727652_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I really like the new design. It's modern, sleek and most importantly clearly stating all of the important features up front with try out demo download links. That is what most of every other CMS has it on their site to promote their CMS. Congratulations to Ryan and his team who work hard to make it happen.

Just the small thing I have notice on the Chrome browser. Main features text is not showing up clearly (font is breaking up) on the Chrome browser. Please see attached snapshot and highlighted area. If I turn-off font-weight then looks much better. I would suggest to make a change since Chrome browser has gain lot of share in the market now-a-days.

Without CSS modification:Original

post-777-0-15642700-1354727630_thumb.jpg

With CSS modification:Removed Font-Weight

post-777-0-27344100-1354727652_thumb.jpg

Thanks much for the feedback. That's nice of you.

Well Chrome != Chrome, looks like you're on Windows? It looks top sharp on Chrome OSX.

That's how it looks for me. So changing it to other font-weight will make it look to bold here :D.

But I'm sure we can look into it, but have to say it's the usual webfont != webfont != browser != os. Never can get it perfect for all except chosing Arial or Verdana. I'm sure you know already.

post-100-0-83292500-1354733109_thumb.png

Well, maybe just a tin larger will make it look better.

• Like 1

fmgujju, Can you check on processwire.net? I just made it a little larger, which can't hurt. Well thinking about it, it looks really strange on your computer, as if font smothing isn't on for your browser under a certain fon size (i'm sure it's this).

• Like 1

Big improvement, glad to see it I know the original design contributed to me initially overlooking PW.

The one thing that is driving me nuts right now is the "motor" mono-space font in the documentation, something about it I just find really hard to read, in fact I've gone as far as to use stylish to force it back to courier. Anyway, just my opinion, not really a great idea to get fancy on pre-formatted text used for docs.

• Like 3

The one thing that is driving me nuts right now is the "motor" mono-space font in the documentation, something about it I just find really hard to read, in fact I've gone as far as to use stylish to force it back to courier. Anyway, just my opinion, not really a great idea to get fancy on pre-formatted text used for docs.

I have to agree with adamspruijt here. I thought about mentioning that earlier, but felt like I used up my critique quota. :)

• Like 1

fmgujju, Can you check on processwire.net? I just made it a little larger, which can't hurt. Well thinking about it, it looks really strange on your computer, as if font smothing isn't on for your browser under a certain fon size (i'm sure it's this).

Still same. I already tried that approach to see if that make any sense but looks almost same.

I think the new look is fantastic, and just what the project needed. The new design, as others have mentioned, is modern, fresh, and more in tune with current design aesthetics. This is not to say I didn't like the previous design, which I loved, but I think this new look really gives it an edge. Typography and colours look superb on the iPad with retina display, and the buttons in the homepage look attractive and enticing.

I also think, as someone mentioned, that the focus on ProcessWire's main selling points is an absolute winner. It lets visitors know, at a quick glance, what the system is all about. The icons used to present this information are also very appropriate, as they provide extra relevant information to help visitors process all the info immediately.

So, congratulations to those who worked in the new look, you did a great job.

Claudio

• Like 6

I would love to see some more attention directed towards templates on the homepage - not just fields. This type of functionality is what I searched for when looking for alternatives to Wordpress and Drupal (although they call it Custom Post Types and Content Types instead of templates)

• Like 1