celfred

OR-group in selector ?

Hello,

I'm facing a weird behavior (to me)... Why are these requests not returning the same values ?

// Test 01 : not working > returns empty
$allPlayers = $pages->find("team=$team"); // Returns the 10 players (1 of them has HP=14, others have HP>15, no players have coma=1)
$dangerPlayers = $allPlayers->find("(HP<=15), (coma=1)")->sort("coma, HP"); // Returns nothing ???
// Test 02 : Working as expected
$dangerPlayers = $pages->find("parent.name=players, team=$team, (HP<=15), (coma=1)")->sort("coma, HP"); // Returns the low HP player

If you can explain this to me, I would appreciate because this is causing me a headache right now 🙂 

Thanks !

OR-groups are a feature of PageFinder selectors - selectors that query the database, e.g. $pages->find(), $page->find(), $page->children().

WireArray::find() is a completely different kettle of fish and doesn't support OR-groups.

Related:

@ryan, it would be good if the distinction between WireArray/PageFinder selectors were covered somewhere in the official documentation.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Zeka said:

@Robin S So in @celfred's first example first call of find method performs find on DB level and the second one on memory, right? 

Correct.

• Like 1

Well that's a great answer ! Thanks a lot @Robin S I was completely unaware of the distinction and your explanation is perfect. I had to struggle with similar issues before and that's quite a step forward for me. Thanks !

I'm gonna take some time to think about all this and read over my code.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Robin S said:

it would be good if the distinction between WireArray/PageFinder selectors were covered somewhere in the official documentation

It is scattered all around the forum, for example:

It just needs to be compiled I guess.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By jds43
      Hello, I have a Page Reference by template radio button field to promote a certain page (only two options), but I'd like to target the page that isn't selected. This would be used dynamically throughout the site.
      Does anyone know how I could accomplish this? Would I use something like remove() or not()?

• By Hubris
      Hi there!
      I'm using some page reference fields to create lists of tags, categories, years, etc.. I'm able to find the pages like so:
      $pages->find("template=project, {$filter}={$page->title}"); Which dynamically does something like: 
      $pages->find("template=project, tags=Experimental"); Only if the value (the page name, like "Experimental") starts with letters. If it starts with numbers, find returns nothing.
      Why is this and how can I fix it?
    • By Elchin
      Hi.
      I want select pages where now between date and end_date or now bigger than date and end_date is empty.
      I have five tried variants:
      $start = strtotime(date('Y-m-d') . " 00:00:00"); $results = $page->children("foo=(date<$start,date_end=''),bar=(date<$start,date_end>=$start),sort=-date,limit=12"); $start = strtotime(date('Y-m-d') . " 00:00:00"); $results = $page->children("date<$start,(date_end='',date_end>=$start),sort=-date,limit=12"); $start = strtotime(date('Y-m-d') . " 00:00:00"); $results = $page->children("date_end=''|date_end>=$start,date<$start,sort=-date,limit=12"); $start = strtotime(date('Y-m-d') . " 00:00:00"); $results = $page->children("!date_end|date_end>=$start,date<$start,sort=-date,limit=12"); $start = strtotime(date('Y-m-d') . " 00:00:00"); $results = $page->children("date_end>=$start|!date_end,date<$start,sort=-date,limit=12"); All this variants not worked for me and returned zero results.
    • By pwFoo
      I played with the Selectors object and would like to use it for a special use case...
      That is a custom Selectors object with dummy data converted to an php array to see the structure (Selectors object is a WireArray with "fields" added)
      Array ( [0] => Array ( [0] => Array ( [field] => seg1 [value] => val1 [not] => [group] => [quote] => [forceMatch] => ) [1] => Array ( [field] => seg2 [value] => val2 [not] => [group] => [quote] => [forceMatch] => ) ) )  
      But instead of "seg1" the field name is "field" with value "seg1" (= my field name).

So I can't search the Selectors WireArray (= custom WireArray with added Selectors objects) with PW "find('seg1=val1')", Is there a way to search with "find()" or build a simple wrapper to make the elements searchable / filterable with find()?
    • By j__
      On a site that lists events, I am using a repeater field 'event_time', which contains two Inputfield Time fields 'event_time_start' and 'event_time_end'. Some events take place multiple times, others just once. Here's an example for the data structure:
      event1 title: First Event event_time (1): event_time_start: 08:00 event_time_end: 09:00 event2 title: Second Event event_time (1): event_time_start: 08:00 event_time_end: 09:00 event_time (2): event_time_start: 14:00 event_time_end: 18:00 event3 title: Third Event event_time (1): event_time_start: 07:00 event_time_end: 09:30 First, I'd like to generate a list of all events, sorted by event_time_start, with every repeater item added as an actual event (similar to a SQL JOIN clause). The desired output would be:
      07:00-09:30 Third Event 08:00-09:00 First Event 08:00-09:00 Second Event 14:00-18:00 Second Event A selector like
      $pages->find('template=event,event_time.event_time_start!=,sort=event_time.event_time_start'); would only return each event page once:
      07:00-09:30 Third Event 08:00-09:00 First Event 08:00-09:00 Second Event without
      14:00-18:00 Second Event Is there a possible alteration of the selector to take all different occurrences into account?
      Also I'd like to filter for events taking place in the morning, using a selector like:
      $pages->find('template=event,event_time.event_time_start>=06:00,event_time.event_time_start<=12:00,sort=event_time.event_time_start'); However, this would only return each 'event' page, which then contains also the afternoon version of event2.
      While I have the impression these are rather simple tasks, I struggle finding a selector-based solution to it. In this example on opening times are some similarities, but it does not deal with multiple occurrences. I'd appreciate your ideas to it.