Noel Boss

ProcessWire & Vue.js — a Lovestory

ProcessWire & Vue.js — a Lovestory

Introducing the all new ICF Conference Website

1*djImM7EcqwatIB3qajgdsQ.gif

The new ICF Conference Page — Fearless

» What would happen if we were equipped to fearlessly face the daily challenges and live a life without fear? «

This question is at the core of our next ICF Conference in 2019 in Zurich. Its also the question we set out to answer in terms of developing the new website; the all new ICF Conference website is our most advanced website in terms of technology, designed to take advantage of the latest web-technologies.

Its a brand new design powered by a lean setup, using ProcessWire for easy content management and a slick frontend based on Vue.js, Quasar and a heavily customized Uikit theme.

1*plq5P41aaXsPpKQpfehzIQ.png
Technology-stack — From backend to frontend, technologies that are fun, easy and fast to develop with

We built on the ICF Ladieslounge website as a solid foundation and took our learnings from building our last Conference Booklet PWA (Progressive Web App) and applied it to the new website.

Some highlights of the new ICF Conference website:

• Completely decoupled backend and frontend
  • Custom design based on Uikit frontend framework
  • Changing of languages happens instantly, no page-reload required
  • Easy content updates thanks to ProcessWire
  • All data is transferred using a single request returning custom JSON

1*XCkzveKuuTXVMseFagAJNg.thumb.png.1281a6fc015b23c8f0dbd0ccf696c33c.png

1*scCtiQn8RXDlYQxQo-8cvg.thumb.png.11a72fde5fc30902d7d456dac9cf4600.png

1*S8JmWkkgQMRXxvKxzLCguw.thumb.png.45d3673ffcdafa5bd7f6a3dd87f75ad3.png

1*XIiAKhMJOxmlYTXrKWEgeA.thumb.png.360c140119033d9b71b0578455a90faf.png

» Continue reading on Medium

And please don't forget to clap and share: 

519389360_ScreenShot2018-06-28at22_14_15.png.02f31a216015d01939b18d579f56f601.png

• Like 22

This looks really interesting, thanks for taking the time to write it up, and provide that module!

Can anyone give a pointer where someone... you know... lets say a friend... who has maybe fallen way behind in terms of front-end technologies and has never touched vue.js or any of its kin, where they might start learning how to implement this PageQueryBoss module and turn it into a complete front-end?

• Like 1

On 7/6/2018 at 4:24 PM, cjx2240 said:

Can anyone give a pointer where someone... you know... lets say a friend... who has maybe fallen way behind in terms of front-end technologies and has never touched vue.js or any of its kin, where they might start learning how to implement this PageQueryBoss module and turn it into a complete front-end?

It has not much to do with vue.js specifically and PageQueryBoss. You can make an AJAX request with any librrary, you build your JSON like the the link in medium above: https://gitlab.com/snippets/1729012

In vue.js, the JSON you get you add to the data of your component. I have not the time at the moment to explain in detail how we did it (apart from using Qusar as a starting point with vuex to store and retrieve data) but maybe this will help you:

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-use-vue-js-and-axios-to-display-data-from-an-api

All nice and I know there's ways to get around it, but the Site has no content to crawl, just empty html. And if JS is not enabled you see this: "This is your fallback content in case JavaScript fails to load."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@Soma 

Yeah this is my issue with Vue.JS - I use Vue.JS often for two way data-binding which is amazing to be able to easily update content and do visual changes to the site based on those updates. For example adding something to a basket. It's much easier with Vue than jQuery or JavaScript. 

My issue with Vue is exactly that. You can use it just on a component basis or you can use it to render your entire UI. To me it just doesn't make sense to use it to render an entire UI with a website. A web app sure, but a website it's often overkill and introduces that exact problem. You can introduce server side rendering of Vue with Nuxt but then it just seems like another layer of 'over complication'.

I personally stopped using Vue for websites unless I absolutely needed two way binding. It just didn't make sense and the extra complication of implementing it such as having to convert everything from ProcessWire into a JSON feed. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By louisstephens
      So I have been hard at work creating url segments for a template (api) and everything is working swimmingly in creating a simple end point for svelte.js. I have however, run into a few questions that I can wrap my head around.
      In my api template I have:
      if($input->urlSegment1 === 'clients') { header('Content-Type: application/json'); $clients = $pages->find("template=clients"); $client_array = array(); foreach ($clients as $client) { $id = $client->id; $title = $client->title; $url = $client->url; $clientName = $client->client_name; $clientColor = $client->client_color->value; $assigned = $client->assigned_to->user_full_name; $client_array[] = array( 'id' => $id, 'code' => $title, 'name' => $clientName, 'associated_users' => $assigned, 'url' => $url ); } $client_json = json_encode($client_array, true); echo $client_json; } The output json from this is:
      [ { "id":1644, "code":"abc", "name":"Test Name", "associated_users":null, "url":"\/pw\/clients\/abc\/" }, { "id": 1645, "code": "xyz", "name": "Test Name", "associated_users": null, "url": "\/pw\/clients\/xyz\/" }, ] I was curious is it possible to add in "clients" before this output json so it would appear as 
      clients: [ { "id":1644, "code":"abc", "name":"Test Name", "associated_users":null, "url":"\/pw\/clients\/abc\/" }, { "id": 1645, "code": "xyz", "name": "Test Name", "associated_users": null, "url": "\/pw\/clients\/xyz\/" }, ] I was not really sure of how to tackle this in my php code, and have spent more time than I care to admit trying to figure it out. Another question I have is that "associated_users" is returning null, which in this instance is correct. It is a multi page field that is set to pull a custom name field from the users template, ie "Louis Stephens" would be associated with the first page. I understand that I need to use a foreach to get the correct data, but I was really unsure of how to place this inside an array, or update the array with the new data. Any help with any of this would greatly be appreciated.
    • By schwarzdesign
      We recently rebuilt the Architekturführer Köln (architectural guide Cologne) as a mobile-first JavaScript web app, powered by VueJS in the frontend and ProcessWire in the backend. Concept, design and implementation by schwarzdesign!
      The Architekturführer Köln is a guidebook and now a web application about architectural highlights in Cologne, Germany. It contains detailled information about around 100 objects (architectural landmarks) in Cologne. The web app offers multiple ways to search through all available objects, including:
      An interactive live map A list of object near the user's location Filtering based on architect, district and category Favourites saved by the user The frontend is written entirely in JavaScript, with the data coming from a ProcessWire-powered API-first backend.
      Frontend
      The app is built with the Vue framework and compiled with Webpack 4. As a learning exercise and for greater customizability we opted to not use Vue CLI, and instead wrote our own Webpack config with individually defined dependencies.
      The site is a SPA (Single Page Application), which means all internal links are intercepted by the Vue app and the corresponding routes (pages) are generated by the framework directly in the browser, using data retrieved from the API. It's also a PWA (Progressive Web App), the main feature of which is that you can install it to your home screen on your phone and launch it from there like a regular app. It also includes a service worker which catches requests to the API and returns cached responses when the network is not available. The Architekturführer is supposed to be taken with you on a walk through the city, and will keep working even if you are completely offline.
      Notable mentions from the tech stack:
      Vue Vue Router for the SPA functionality VueX for state management and storage / caching of the data returned through the API Leaflet (with Mapbox tiles) for the interactive maps Webpack 4 for compilation of the app into a single distributable Babel for transpilation of ES6+ SASS & PostCSS with Autoprefixer as a convenience for SASS in SFCs Google Workbox to generate the service worker instead of writing lots of boilerplate code Bootstrap 4 is barely used here, but we still included it's reboot and grid system Backend
      The ProcessWire backend is API-only, there are no server-side rendered templates, which means the only PHP template is the one used for the API. For this API, we used a single content type (template) with a couple of pre-defined endpoints (url segments); most importantly we built entdpoints to get a list of all objects (either including the full data, or only the data necessary to show teaser tiles), as well as individual objects and taxonomies. The API template which acts as a controller contains all the necessary switches and selectors to serve the correct response in <100 lines of code.
      Since we wanted some flexibility regarding the format in which different fields were transmitted over the api, we wrote a function to extract arbitrary page fields from ProcessWire pages and return them as serializable standard objects. There's also a function that takes a Pageimage object, creates multiple variants in different sizes and returns an object containing their base path and an array of variants (identified by their basename and width). We use that one to generate responsive images in the frontend. Check out the code for both functions in this gist.
      We used native ProcessWire data wherever possible, so as to not duplicate that work in the frontend app. For example:
      Page names from the backend translate to URLs in the frontend in the form of route parameters for the Vue Router Page IDs from ProcessWire are included in the API responses, we use those to identify objects across the app, for example to store the user's favourites, and as render keys for object lists Taxonomies have their own API endpoints, and objects contain their taxonomies only as IDs (in the same way ProcessWire uses Page References) Finally, the raw JSON data is cached using the cache API and this handy trick by @LostKobrakai to store raw JSON strings over the cache API.
      Screenshots

• By louisstephens
      So I reread my first draft, and it made absolutely no sense (I deleted it to hopefully better explain myself).  I am trying to make a system (that to me is a bit complicated) utilizing jquery and processwire together. My whole goal is to put a url like https://domain.com/launch?first_name=jim&occupation=builder in a script tag on another site(just a localhost .php page) to then pull out the data for that person and append to divs etc. Basically, the initial script tag would point to "launch" which has a content-type of "application/javascript". Using jquery, I would pull out the persons name and occupation and then make a specific ajax get request to "domain.com/api" (in json format) for a look up of the person. Essentially then I could pull that particular person's information from the json data, and do with it how I please in the "launch" page.  In processwire, I have a page structure like:
      People -Jim Bob (template: person ) --Occupations (template: basic-page) ---Builder (template: occupation) ---Greeter (template: occupation) It is really just a bunch of people with their occupations and a few fields to the occupation template. With the "api" (template: api) url, I was hoping to return all the data (of people) in json format like:
      Example Format:
      { "id": 1, "title": "Jim Bob", "occupations": { "builder": { "id": 44, "title": "Builder", "years_worked": 1, "etc": "ect", }, "Greeter": { "id": 44, "title": "Greeter", "years_worked": 1, "etc": "ect", }, } } Where I get lost is really outputting the page names and nesting in the occupations into json. I have used Pages2JSON before, but I was a bit lost on how to implement what i was thinking.

I have access to all the local host files, but I was hoping to kind of build out a "system" where I could place the script tag/parameters in any project, and be able to interact with the data without doing an ajax call on the actual site. In a way, this would keep processwire handling all the data and requests, and my other "projects" just with a simple script tag. This might all be way too much/over complicated, but I couldn't quite wrap my head around how to achieve it. 
    • By AndZyk
      This is a website for the musical area of the protestant town church Pforzheim, Germany. Our agency designconcepts developed a website that provides informations about the choirs, ensembles and orchestras as well as dates for their rehearsals, services and concerts.
      The website was build with help of the framework UIkit.
      www.musik.stadtkirche-pforzheim.de

Features:
      Events Download dates  
      Events

The events for rehearsals, services and concerts were created in Microsoft Excel and then imported as pages from CSV. For better organization, events are cross-referenced with choirs, ensembles and orchestras. Services and concerts are displayed in a events list, but rehearsals are only displayed on the page of the choir, ensemble or orchestra, to make the events list more compact.

Download dates

It is possible to download every event date as ICS file, which will be generated on clicking the download button. You can then add this event easily to your calendar app and stay up-to-date.

Modules used:
      Email Obfuscation (EMO) Front-End Page Editor Import Pages from CSV Markup Sitemap XML ProCache Tracy Debugger Upgrades Wire Mail SMTP  
      Regards, Andreas