New blog post: ProcessWire vs. WordPress

ryan

I've been traveling in the second half of this week, so will release ProcessWire version 3.0.107 for next week. This week we look at the WordPress vs. ProcessWire series of videos by Jonathan Lahijani. We talk with him about the how the videos are made, what inspired them, what’s been learned, platform strengths, future plans, and more. 

https://processwire.com/blog/posts/wordpress-vs-processwire/

• Like 7

I think that's a good idea. Though I'm not sure we've got enough existing material on the forums to warrant creating a new board for the purpose just yet (?), but would suggest maybe the Pub or Beer Garden as a good place for now. We can always create a new board when the amount of content reaches a critical mass, which is the strategy we've been using so far. I don't think we can support video uploads here, though embedding from YouTube/Vimeo is a good way to go for this. 

• Thanks 1

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for accepting the idea, I really appreciate it.
It is a next step in the process to bring more awareness to processwire.

Using Pub and Beergarden, the uploads will become mixed up with the posts
being done there. As for the experimental nature of the promotion material,
I don't think youtube or vimeo will be a good place either.It has to be a
central place only for uploading processwire promotion material. Since I
have unlimited storage on my Hosting, I will open a storage place there.
Can't wait to start this up already  ?

Been chatting to a business owner this month about moving his site from WordPress to Processwire.

I think we were close to going ahead but a major problem for him was 3rd party proof that WP to PW was a positive move.

Hey Peter, before we get to that, I can't find any real data for how processwire is dramatically better than wordpress. Can you send me studies and data to support this?

I think he's got a very fair point. Sure, there's some info on Google but relative to my beliefs and enthusiasm for the move, there's very little supporting evidence for business owners. 

These videos will really help with future projects.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Peter Knight said:

Hey Peter, before we get to that, I can't find any real data for how processwire is dramatically better than wordpress. Can you send me studies and data to support this?

Just give him 2 offers. One for realizing his project on Wordpress, one for realizing it on Processwire. Show him the initial costs for the realization and also approximate maintainance costs. Make Wordpress a lot more expensive, of course - then he has "real data".

Sorry for that comment. I know it's not that easy. I'm just a little annoyed by such statements, and I hope you get my point ?

It's like asking "I want to go on vacation, which car is the best?". Good luck for googling that and getting a good answer with "real data"... It's not always about finding the right answers to the wrong questions, it's sometimes a lot more about asking the right questions ? 

• Like 2

The problem is that the definitions of real data, studies and 3rd parties have a super broad range.

I personally understand them like this:

real data = comparable numbers or features
studies = examples, references, sites built with ProcessWire
3rd parties = ProcessWire experts (long time ProcessWire users, integrators and developers)

We are all 3rd parties (experts) that could create any kind of studies (show examples and projects) to show real data (used features, development time).

The videos Jonathan created are a super nice look behind the scenes for someone who is already in web development and CMS-things.
My clients aren't into this. They ask me to give advice. They trust me. They want me to tell them what they need. I am the 3rd party (expert) that knows about pitfalls.

Let's turn things around.

We shouldn't compare ProcessWire to another CMS.
We should show and tell the benefits of ProcessWire.

For example:

• ProcessWire is easy to extend.
  • ProcessWire is easy to use.
  • ProcessWire manages all kinds of data structures (books, movies, cars, clothing, what, ever, ...) right from the start.
  • ProcessWire generates all kinds of data exchange formats (RSS, XML, JSON, CSV, ...).
  • ProcessWire doesn't need a dedicated or specialized hosting to perform well.
  • ProcessWire is highly customizable.
  • ProcessWire delivers what is needed.
  • [Your statement here]

Just my two cents.

• Like 6

to extend @wbmnfktr's list:

• very well documented
  • very good multilanguage handling in the core
  • every input field is already custom, by design (no need for 3rd party extensions)
  • a very good API with a small learning curve
  • easy to bootstrap into other PHP web apps
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, bernhard said:

Sorry for that comment. I know it's not that easy. I'm just a little annoyed by such statements, and I hope you get my point ?

Absolutely I get your point. I realise you’re only joking too. 

To be fair to the business owner he absolutely heard me out and was quite interested to hear that his 3 week old site had such potential problems. 

I actually approached him about the move and he really hadn’t been using WordPress long enough to experience any big problems. His attitude (and rightly so) was that he didn’t like hearing about the security issues etc but that he’d just paid to have it done in the first place. 

Actually in the end nothing happened because a niche WordPress plugin which was vital to his site wasn’t going to be easy or economical to re write as a native PW module. 

Ive moves several WP sites to PW at this stage and the clients couldn’t be happier with the improvement. This one just wasn’t possible right now. But who knows, give him a year or so and they may back. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tpr said:

Could we know which one is that?

Some crypto currency payment methods. They integrated with WooCommerce.

I could probably move from WooCommerce to SnipCart and Stripe easily enough but the crypto part wasn't feasible or something I really wanted to support right now.

• Like 2