Sign in to follow this  
JeevanisM

First PW Website

Hello All,

I started with Joomla on this CMS parade. Then later I put my hands on Wordpress and eventually settled into Concrete 5.  Recently I came to know about ProcessWire CMS, while I was looking for a better replacement for Concrete 5 in terms of robust, easiness, compact.  I went through few Video tutorials of PW and read the documentation. The installation of PW was smoothy.

The concept of Page is awsome. I like the relation of Page, Fields & Templates. There are many things I can equal to Concrete 5 from ProcessWire, yet PW offers a tiny minimal, code level approach for CMS. We have full control over design & data. There are some pitfalls I felt such no sitewide settings, global logo setup etc but it is easily tackled with some API codes. PW api seems amazing, it is par with what Concrete 5 Offers.

I have done a simple website in ProcessWire now and going to do a lot further :
http://insignnia.in/

• Like 13

Your website looks great!

For sitewide settings, you can simply use a page which is not listed/published or:

http://modules.processwire.com/modules/process-general-settings/

http://modules.processwire.com/modules/textformatter-multi-value/

EDIT: In my last project, I've simply added a fieldset with settings fields in it to the bottom of the home (root) page.

Then get values from anywhere like:

$pages->get(1)->site_name; //"home" is always 1

• Like 4

Welcome to Processwire! I inherited a club website built in Concrete 5, and it was so slow that page loads were taking over 20 seconds. The way the site had been structured wasn't particularly intuitive either. I'm not sure if it was a Concrete 5 issue or poor implementation, but after I converted it to Processwire, I had a dramatic improvement in page load times, and found the page editing was far more intuitive to the point I could hand over day-to-day editing to non-technical users, whereas the previous webmaster, even with several years using the system and some technical knowledge, still ended up making mistakes on Concrete 5.

Processwire passed my '1/2 hour test', ie by looking at the documentation for no more than 1/2 an hour, I was able to have enough of an understanding of the system to start customising sites.
As a developer, a 2 minute install is nice, but if it then takes hours to understand the structure of the system to start customisation, then it's not great.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, theo said:

Your website looks great!

For sitewide settings, you can simply use a page which is not listed/published or:

http://modules.processwire.com/modules/process-general-settings/

http://modules.processwire.com/modules/textformatter-multi-value/

EDIT: In my last project, I've simply added a fieldset with settings fields in it to the bottom of the home (root) page.

Then get values from anywhere like:

$pages->get(1)->site_name; //"home" is always 1

Thank you theo for your suggestions. I shall check them out for sure

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kiwi Chris said:

Welcome to Processwire! I inherited a club website built in Concrete 5, and it was so slow that page loads were taking over 20 seconds. The way the site had been structured wasn't particularly intuitive either. I'm not sure if it was a Concrete 5 issue or poor implementation, but after I converted it to Processwire, I had a dramatic improvement in page load times, and found the page editing was far more intuitive to the point I could hand over day-to-day editing to non-technical users, whereas the previous webmaster, even with several years using the system and some technical knowledge, still ended up making mistakes on Concrete 5.

Processwire passed my '1/2 hour test', ie by looking at the documentation for no more than 1/2 an hour, I was able to have enough of an understanding of the system to start customising sites.
As a developer, a 2 minute install is nice, but if it then takes hours to understand the structure of the system to start customisation, then it's not great.

I can partially agree with you on that C5 loading time. I have experienced sluggy feel in the dashboard when I manage with administration. C5 extensively uses a lot of Jquery  and mostly for their  In-Context editing Feature.  I have a website fully developed with c5 here : (kaakkakkoottam.com) which I am going to port into ProcessWire soon. Let me see the difference. 

6 hours ago, psy said:

Welcome to PW and congrats on a lovely site!

Thank you for your good words..