thomasaull

Rest-API site profile

I recently started to build Vue SPAs with ProcessWire as the backend, connected with a REST API. Thanks to code and the help of @LostKobrakai (How to use FastRoute with ProcessWire) and @clsource (REST-Helper) I got it up and running pretty quickly and now have put all of it in a site profile for others to use. It includes the REST API with routing for different endpoints, JWT Auth and a simple Vue SPA which shows the process of logging in a user (nevertheless, you don't have to use the Vue part, the API will work on it's own).

Check it out here: https://github.com/thomasaull/RestApiProfile

I'm pretty sure, it's not the perfect or most sophisticsted solution, but it gets the job done for me…

Feedback or Improvements are very welcome :)

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Seems great. Awesome Job!.

Thanks for sharing.

I think the JWT Auth may become a module on it´s own.

For folks who don´t know about JWT. It´s a standard for Authentication Using Json.

https://jwt.io/

:)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, thomasaull said:

I recently started to build Vue SPAs with ProcessWire as the backend, connected with a REST API.

Sounds awesome, never done anything like this before, can we see an example application?

3 hours ago, SamC said:

Sounds awesome, never done anything like this before, can we see an example application?

Unfortunately, one is not public – the other one not finished (not public either, but I might put in in my portfolio with a screencast or anything)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, clsource said:

I think the JWT Auth may become a module on it´s own.

Are you working on it? ;) I'm not sure if you need a module for that, the only thing which makes sense being managed by the backend is the JWT Secret maybe… But by all means it might make things easy for people who are not familiar with JWT!

13 minutes ago, thomasaull said:

Unfortunately, one is not public – the other one not finished (not public either, but I might put in in my portfolio with a screencast or anything)

Yeah that'd be good, thanks.

Nice! 

But I wonder if the JWT are really necessary here—or why the implementation?
Doesn't the server session / processwire handle that already?

On 4/12/2017 at 6:19 PM, thomasaull said:

Are you working on it? ;) I'm not sure if you need a module for that, the only thing which makes sense being managed by the backend is the JWT Secret maybe… But by all means it might make things easy for people who are not familiar with JWT!

Not really at the moment. Just an idea :)

4 hours ago, blynx said:

Nice! 

JWT is just a communication system.
If you look at the profile is the Processwire auth system that is used at the end.

Instead of using oAuth or Basic Authentication
JWT can be used for getting user roles and data without requiring to log in the user on every request,
saving server resources :)

• Like 2

15 hours ago, blynx said:

Nice! 

It's not necessary, just one way of authentication. Basic Auth is perfectly fine aswell :)

• Like 1

On a sidenote jwt is perfect when things need to "scale" (i.e. in a microservice architecture). Just share the secret across multiple instances and you don't have to care about syncing sessions and related data. The backend thus can be "stateless" (regarding logins) and just used to deliver data.

• Like 3

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By carrdesigns
      In the admin, I am trying to access data from a page that contains an inputfieldand autofill that data into the modal edit window for a new entry.
      For instance, I have a template which contains a PageTable field. When I add a new entry to the PageTable, I want to capture the ID from the originating admin page and add it to a field in the edit modal as a way of linking the new entry back to the originating page. The new PageTable entries are NOT children of the originating page, and cannot be for structural reasons. I have attached an image which I hope will help to clarify the basic result I want to achieve.
      Is there a practical means of accomplishing this? I've been able to achieve something similar with the ConnectPageFields module, but it does not work with PageTable fields. Any input would be much appreciated.

• By Vinnie
      Hi all, Im trying to fill an options field in all the children of the parent page, after I save it. 
      the options field is configured as multiple select checkboxes. here's the code i have so far:
      $this->addHookAfter('Pages::saved', function($event) { $page = $event->arguments[0]; //set the page if($page->template == 'sport-verenigingen-overzicht') { //get the subcategories from the parent textarea, split on newline $subcats = preg_split('/[\n\r]+/', $page->subcats); //(also tried without imploding and adding the array, also doesnt work) $subcats = implode("|",$subcats); //get the children $children = $page->children(); foreach ($children as $child) { //set the options(sport_categorie is the options field) $child->sport_categorie = $subcats; $child->save('sport_categorie'); } //if i use a normal textfield instead of an optionsfield, //all the children have the correct data e.g: test1|test2|test3 //how to get the values into the options field?? } }); Hope you guys can help! Keep up the good work, I'm loving what you're doing with PW!!
    • By celfred
      Hello,
      Still in my 'teaching game'. Here's my problem : I 'find' all players with a request like

$allPlayers = $pages->find("template=player"); [/code Then, I limit to players belonging to the team of the logged in player with [code] $teamPlayers = $allPlayers->find("team=$loggedPlayer->team");
      No problem so far. But my scoreboards rely on either :

$allPlayers->getItemKey($loggedPlayer);
      or

$teamPlayers->getItemKey($loggedPlayer);
      to find the logged player's position in the charts.
      On the 'global' newboard with scoreboards based upon $allPlayers, everything works as expected.
      BUT on my 'team' newsboard, even though I'm using $teamPlayers, the returned indexes are based upon $allPlayers. Am I clear ? In other words, I have a total of 125 players, and my logged player is 61 out of 125 regarding the number of places he freed. But in his particular team of 25 players, he sould be 15 whereas he's still 61
      I'd like to reset my indexes (and start back from 0), but I can't find my way out of this...
      If someone has a hint to help, I'd appreciate.
      I have a second part in my worry : I had a way around it by simply making another 'raw' request :

$teamPlayers = $pages->find("team=$loggedPlayer->team");
      Then my team indexes were right, but I faced another issue : Reordering my wirearray according to the scoreboard I want usually worked fine (simple sort() based upon an integer field, for example, player's coins, player's karma...) and indexes were updated BUT resorting with places.count ('places' field is a pageArray) doesn't update the indexes returned by getItemKey and my logged player is always at the position he was when I first did my initial $pages->find() query  
      So my way around found its limit and that's why I'm posting here, after struggling with this for a couple of hours...
      Thanks in advance for the help. 
    • By SwimToWin
      I am using ProcessWire as the back-end to manage contents on multiple sites (I call them "sub-domains"). I use ProcessWire as an editing system and database only. The ProcessWire templating system is not in use. I want to use ProcessWire's API and in particular the Include & Bootstrap method to output contents -- pretty much in the same way you do, if contents is stored in a MySQL database and output in PHP files that use PDO to load data.
      The issue is that I cannot get ProcessWire to fully work on each of the "sub-domains".
      https://processwire.com/api/include/ says:

> You can do anything with ProcessWire's API that you can do from a template,
      > so all of this still applies, as does everything in the developer API.
      How can I get access to variables such as $input when using Include & Bootstrap?
      I tried these:
      $wire->pages->get("/foo/bar/"); echo "Segment1: " . $wire->input->urlSegment1; # Returns null $wire->pages->get("/foo/bar/"); echo "Segment1: " . $wire->input()->urlSegment1; # Internal Server Error $p = $wire->pages->get("/foo/bar/"); echo "Segment1: " . $p->input->urlSegment1; # Returns null $p = $wire->pages->get("/foo/bar/"); echo "Segment1: " . $p->input()->urlSegment1; # Returns null @ryan Can the API Variables documentation be updated with a section / an example that explain how to use "Include & Bootstrap" for each variable (since this is a really strong feature in ProcessWire)?
      $page $pages - Example: $homepage = $wire->pages->get("/"); $input $sanitizer $session $fields $user $log $templates $config
    • By noelboss
      Maybe I'm missing something here, but I'm haveing a hard time to get absolute urls if PW is installed in a subdirectory thought the API...
      I need an absolute URL for the backend (as a redirect url of Oauth provider). To build the url i would normaly use
      url()->root.url()->admin – but this results in the install-path beeing present twice;
      domain.com/path/ + path/admin/
      In order to not use $_SERVER['HTTP_HOST'] I fetch the admin page from pages – but this is also not to easy since I need to remove the root folder from path as well. My current solution is somewhat complicated:
      $backendUrl = pages()->get('path="'.str_replace(urls()->root, '', urls()->admin).'", include=all')->httpUrl; The above code seems to be the savest way to get the absolute url to the backend using pure PW API, am I right?
      It would be great if one could fetch absolute urls with something like this
      $backendUrl = urls()->admin->httpUrl // or $backendUrl = httpUrls()->admin  
      SOLVED:
      Thank you @adrian – of course this HAD to be simpler:
      urls()->httpAdmin;