benbyf

Admin doesn't really function without js

PW Admin doesn't really function without javascript, and my question would be, should we care?

I think, however, either way it might be nice to add a "<span>Javascript doesn't seem to be available, therefore you may not be able to access the full functionality of the admin</span>" somewhere maybe?

• Like 1

pw needs javascript all over in the admin so there's no way to make it work without.

i agree it would be nice to add a warning. the login screen would be a nice place. you could do a PR and add some warning here that would be hidden via javascript and therefore only visible to clients without javascript.

https://github.com/processwire/processwire/blob/master/wire/modules/Process/ProcessLogin/ProcessLogin.module#L427-L451

• Like 2

8 hours ago, benbyf said:

PW Admin doesn't really function without javascript, and my question would be, should we care?

I would say that it's been many years since developers had to worry about a site not working without JS. Back in the early 2000's it was considered evil and we did all sorts of things to avoid using it (and to make sure we used graceful degradation techniques), but these days there aren't many sites that you can use without it even on the frontend, so expecting it for the backend of a site shouldn't be an issue at all anymore. 

Facebook does this:

59c3b663b8ae9_ScreenShot2017-09-21at5_53_11AM.png.529bd552a274f7d5ba9be80ab57af117.png

but you guys should take a look at the old "m.facebook.com" site with javascript disabled - it looks ancient :)

• Like 3

i totally agree. i don't think it's necessary, but i think it would be nice to have a warning on the login site. a simple noscript tag could make things clear and save us from support-requests like "hey, my admin tree does not show up" where one's first thought could be a permission problem or the like...

• Like 5

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Noel Boss
      Admin Theme Boss
      A light and clear theme based on Uikit 3
      Features
      Three unique color options Beautiful typografy using Roboto Condensed Extended breadcrumb with edit links Extends AdminThemeUikit, you can continue using all AdminThemeUikit features Option to activate theme for all users Color Variants:
      ProcessWire Blue

Vibrant Blue

Dark Black

Requirements
      Requires AdminThemeUikit installed and activated.
      $config->defaultAdminTheme = 'AdminThemeUikit'; Installation
      Make sure the above requirements are met Go to “Modules > Add New“ Open “Add Module from URL“ and past the following url: https://github.com/noelboss/AdminThemeBoss/archive/master.zip Click “Download“ Click “Install“ on the “AdminThemeBoss“ Module

Install manually
      Make sure the above requirements are met Download the theme files from GitHub or the ProcessWire Modules Repository. Copy all of the files for this module into /site/modules/AdminThemeBoss/ Go to “Modules > Refresh” in your admin Click “Install“ on the “AdminThemeBoss“ Module  
    • By joshuag
      Hey guys, 
      Thought I would share a quick preview of Designme. A module we (Eduardo @elabx and I) are building for visually laying out your templates/edit screens. 🙂
      This is a really quick, zero polish screen grab. FYI. 

• By matsn0w
      Hey all,
      I am working on a website and I want to style the login page, but I'm a bit confused. 
      I want either the existing login page styled in my own way using some CSS (I guess I prefer that) or I want to create a custom page with a form to login. (Which I could style too).
      I used the code from Ryan and Renobird posted here - which works great - but that doesn't replace the original login page. 
      Is there a way to some sort of 'disable' the original login?
      I hope my question is clear and thanks in advance,
      matsn0w
    • By msavard
      Is the UIKit admin theme supposed to look like this when editing fields and templates? It seems like I did something wrong.

• By Jimmie Bragdon
      Wondering if anyone can help me get past a sticking point.  
      I'm setting up a Processwire instance in a multiple site setup (using Soma's multisite) to run several related websites.  I am getting stuck on the tagging system that I am using (adapted from a standalone PW site I'm running).  I have the tags themselves set up as Pages, and the Tags field on the related pages is and ASMselect field that populates based on the pages underneath /tags/ in the tree.  This system works fine on the standalone site.
      Where I am running into issues, is with trying to use them with the multisite setup.  Specifically, choosing the proper subset of pages for tags on the ASMselect input tab.  I want to choose only the tag pages for the site in question.  
      My tree is laid out like this:
      Multisite / 
                | site1.com
                     | subsections
                | site2.com
                     | subsections
                | Tags
                     | site1.com
                          | tagA
                          | tagB
                     | site2.com
                           | tagC
      So far, the best I've been able to do is to use  'parent.has_parent=/tags/' in the Custom Find or Selector String portion of the Selectable Pages section of the input.  This gives me the options of choosing tagA, tagB, or tagC on a page under site1.com.  What I'd like to find is a selector that allows me to only see tagA, tagB as options from a page under site1.com and only tagC on a page under site2.com.
      Elsewhere in my php templates, I'm using $page->rootParent->title to set the proper scope and URLs for things, but I have not found a way to get that to work in this field input setup.  I am trying to avoid creating specific fields and templates for each site, as unified templates were part of the purpose of going with a multisite install.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.