benbyf

Admin doesn't really function without js

PW Admin doesn't really function without javascript, and my question would be, should we care?

I think, however, either way it might be nice to add a "<span>Javascript doesn't seem to be available, therefore you may not be able to access the full functionality of the admin</span>" somewhere maybe?

• Like 1

pw needs javascript all over in the admin so there's no way to make it work without.

i agree it would be nice to add a warning. the login screen would be a nice place. you could do a PR and add some warning here that would be hidden via javascript and therefore only visible to clients without javascript.

https://github.com/processwire/processwire/blob/master/wire/modules/Process/ProcessLogin/ProcessLogin.module#L427-L451

• Like 2

8 hours ago, benbyf said:

PW Admin doesn't really function without javascript, and my question would be, should we care?

I would say that it's been many years since developers had to worry about a site not working without JS. Back in the early 2000's it was considered evil and we did all sorts of things to avoid using it (and to make sure we used graceful degradation techniques), but these days there aren't many sites that you can use without it even on the frontend, so expecting it for the backend of a site shouldn't be an issue at all anymore. 

Facebook does this:

59c3b663b8ae9_ScreenShot2017-09-21at5_53_11AM.png.529bd552a274f7d5ba9be80ab57af117.png

but you guys should take a look at the old "m.facebook.com" site with javascript disabled - it looks ancient :)

• Like 3

i totally agree. i don't think it's necessary, but i think it would be nice to have a warning on the login site. a simple noscript tag could make things clear and save us from support-requests like "hey, my admin tree does not show up" where one's first thought could be a permission problem or the like...

• Like 5

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By mjut
      Hello!
      I am trying to get some extra css-file into my admin templates. I managed to modify my admin.php to this:
      <?php namespace ProcessWire; require($config->paths->adminTemplates . 'controller.php'); echo "<link rel='stylesheet' type='text/css' href='" . $config->urls->templates . "css/admin.css'>"; By doing so, the css <link> is added to the very end of each parsed admin-html. (right AFTER the closing </body> tag.)
      That causes some trouble. e.g. the page tree is not displaying any more. Although, other pages are working - like the edit form of a page.
      My question: is there a correct way of adding my extra css to the admin area?
      Thanks for you help!
      Stephan

• By LukeCage
      Hi! I have a big problem with a client of mine. I have to do something that i don't do very often with processwire, and i'm very afraid that i'm not gonna able to do it. So i write to search some help from you experts.
      The website that i'm gonna create will have a database with infos about users. This users are not the actual registrered users, but possible users. I'll try my best to explain this. What i will have is a datasheet in the database with infos about all the users (name, surname, fiscal Code) that can register to the website. So during registration the website is confront with this database of people, and accept or not your registration to the website.
      Now. The problems are: the client need a page in the CMS to insert this people in the first place (Custom Admin Page?) in the database. I read what i need to create it, but i don't understand what i need to do next. What i need to do for reading and writing to the database, with data, directly from a custom admin page in processwire?
      The other thing is. I can do this control during registration? I Can extend fields in the user account?
      I'm completely in your hands.
    • By Robin S
      Breadcrumb Dropdowns
      Adds dropdown menus of page edit links to the breadcrumbs in Page Edit.

Installation
      Install the Breadcrumb Dropdowns module. The module requires ProcessWire >= v3.0.83 and AdminThemeUikit.
      There is a checkbox option in the module config that determines if the breadcrumb dropdowns will include pages that the user does not have permission to edit.
      Features/details
      The module adds an additional breadcrumb item at the end for the currently edited page. That's because I think it's more intuitive for the dropdown under each breadcrumb item to show the item's sibling pages rather than the item's child pages. In the dropdown menus the current page and the current page's parents are highlighted in a crimson colour to make it easier to quickly locate them in case you want to edit the next or previous sibling page. Unpublished and hidden pages are indicated in the dropdowns with similar styling to that used in Page List. If the option to include uneditable pages is selected then those pages are indicated by italics with a reduced text opacity and the "not-allowed" cursor is shown on hover. There is a limit of 25 pages per dropdown for performance reasons and to avoid the dropdown becoming unwieldy. If the current user is allowed to add new pages under the parent page an "Add New" link is shown at the bottom of the breadcrumb dropdown. If the currently edited page has children or the user may add children, a caret at the end of the breadcrumbs reveals a dropdown of up to the first 25 children and/or an "Add New" link. Overriding the listed siblings for a page
      If you want to override the siblings that are listed in the dropdowns you can hook the BreadcrumbDropdowns::getSiblingsmethod and change the returned PageArray. For most use cases this won't be necessary.
      Incompatibilities
      This module replaces the AdminThemeUikit::renderBreadcrumbs method so will potentially be incompatible with other modules that hook the same method.

https://modules.processwire.com/modules/breadcrumb-dropdowns/
      https://github.com/Toutouwai/BreadcrumbDropdowns
    • By MischaK
      I'm someone who has been developing websites for a while, mostly doing full stack .NET development and ASP scripting before that, while using Silverstripe and some other PHP frameworks for some smaller projects which worked well enough for quite some time. 
      Now I have some time on my hands and decided to evaluate some different CMS options. 
      Diving in as a newbie into: 
      Wordpress 
      Processwire 
      CraftCMS
      After a short while I decided that Wordpress was out while I'm still evaluating Craft and Processwire. 
      My question is, is there any interest here in reading about my experiences in trying to get the feature set I want up and running, with these other systems?
    • By gnanasekar
      Hello All,
      Hope all doing good, I am a newbie to processwire. I have an issue please help me out!!!
      Here is my question:
      I have two usernames with one email apparently. when rebuilding my Jenkins server, I get a failed to authenticate and now I cannot reset the password of the other account. Any help would be appreciated.
      Thanks