Installation stops after database information page

devlisa

Hello. I'm not new to Processwire (I've been using it on a Mac environment for multiple site builds), but I am new to installing it on a Windows environment. I have unsuccessfully installed Processwire 3.0.62 both via downloaded zip file and GitHub on my Windows machine. The Site Installation Profile and Compatibility Checks are successful, and I am able to get past the MySql Database screen. However, this is where the installation process stops (step 3). The Test Database and Save Configuration screen says my database connection was successful and the configuration was saved to ./site/config.php and that's it, but I know from my ProcessWire experience I should also see fields for setting up the admin login etc. on this screen. I can't go any further after this. I've redone this process multiple times. I am running XAMPP, if that helps. Any clue what could be stopping the installation process?

Hi, so you passed "Database Config" (see on this page too) but "Admin Panel Information" is missing from the page while "Test Database and Save Configuration is there"? Any PHP error log entries? You might have a HTTP Host name issue. Try to use 127.0.0.1 instead of localhost.

Edit: added missing link to @clsource's blop post

Edited by szabesz
typo
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, szabesz said:

Hi, so you passed "Database Config" (see on this page too) but "Admin Panel Information" is missing from the page while "Test Database and Save Configuration is there"? Any PHP error log entries? You might have a HTTP Host name issue. Try to use 127.0.0.1 instead of localhost.

Edit: added missing link to @clsource's blop post

Yes, "Admin Panel Information" is missing from that page. The error log entries in the site/assets folder state "You must assign a template to the page before setting custom field values (title__data) [pageClass=Page, template=]". The error log only shows up when I go back to my project's main localhost folder, not the /install.php location (which is what the process gets stuck on). I tried using 127.0.0.1 with no difference in result. Thanks for the suggestions so far!

1 hour ago, clsource said:

Hello,

maybe Xampp have some problems in PHP or Apache config.

try using something different like http://www.wampserver.com/en/

:)

Thanks for the suggestion! I tried WAMP but got the same result: installation process stopped on same screen as before.

3 hours ago, szabesz said:

You might also want to peek under the hood and see what is rendered in the browser, maybe a partially rendered page? That reminds me of this:

Are you sure you php ini settings are ok?

I saw that post too and had enabled debugging - thank you. No change or extra debug errors, except giving me the expected errors on when I go to the index.php page of the site (since it didn't complete the install process). The browser only renders the fields that show up on step 3's page - stops after that.

1 hour ago, clsource said:

Maybe is the browser thats blocking something.

Have you tried using different browsers?

Yes, just tried a different browser and installation stopped at the same place.

@devlisa I am working with ProcessWire under Window$$ and have never had any issues. To make sure it is working fine, I would suggest you to try OpenServer which is much  much more than just a WAMP and has super control over your server. On top of that, it creates a folder ../domains/ so any folder you place there would become an active domain after a server restart by adding a record of it to your hosts file (if you allow it). Here is the URL for the server to download (just type the numbers at the field, leave the distribution dropbox by default and click on the button next to it - the page is in Russian but can be easily translated with Chrome etc. Oh, and it is absolutely free with no add/spy-wares and whatsoever. There are only two minor things to consider - it is being actively developed by a Russian team which might have some settings on Russian but you have the ability to change to English or whatsoever. The other thing is its size - about 1GB for the whole pack which includes a few test browsers, phpmyadmin and so on and so forth. 

The cherry of the cake is that PW works out of the box with. Same thing happened with WP, Presta, etc. Good luck!

20 hours ago, clsource said:

Maybe enabling test mode in the installer could bring more data :)

https://github.com/processwire/processwire/blob/master/install.php

Trying this was actually interesting. I ran the installer again, and at Step 3, instead of the typical messages I was receiving (noted in my original post), the screen read: 

Test Database and Save Configuration
Database connection successful to [databasename]
TEST MODE: Skipping profile import

The Admin Profile part of the screen was there this time in test mode, so I filled out the information. However, on the next screen, I received this message: 404 page not found (no site configuration or install.php available).

17 hours ago, fbg13 said:

Check the error logs of xampp, not pw.

I did just that. Log was stating:

script 'path/to/my/xampp/domain/install.php' not found or unable to stat, referer: localhost/path

I searched this error log message for possible answers. The only one so far that possibly makes sense is this could be a permissions issue?

18 hours ago, MilenKo said:

@devlisa I am working with ProcessWire under Window$$ and have never had any issues. To make sure it is working fine, I would suggest you to try OpenServer which is much  much more than just a WAMP and has super control over your server. On top of that, it creates a folder ../domains/ so any folder you place there would become an active domain after a server restart by adding a record of it to your hosts file (if you allow it). Here is the URL for the server to download (just type the numbers at the field, leave the distribution dropbox by default and click on the button next to it - the page is in Russian but can be easily translated with Chrome etc. Oh, and it is absolutely free with no add/spy-wares and whatsoever. There are only two minor things to consider - it is being actively developed by a Russian team which might have some settings on Russian but you have the ability to change to English or whatsoever. The other thing is its size - about 1GB for the whole pack which includes a few test browsers, phpmyadmin and so on and so forth. 

The cherry of the cake is that PW works out of the box with. Same thing happened with WP, Presta, etc. Good luck!

Going to try this next.

Well based on the XAMPP error you mentioned, if you did not already tried to redownload the source and try to install PW - I would do that before testing any other server. I was using XAMPP in the past, then switched to Ampps but found the OpenServer to be the best feature and parameters wise so switched to it. I would think that you might have had an issue with a setting in XAMPP apache modules or else, but to not be able to install the PW, maybe it is not right to blame the server itself.

One other thing I could suggest (just to be safe here ;) ) would be to do a drive scan for errors as I had several cases where customers complained of not being able to open files but after a scan of the HDD their issues were "miraculously" fixed (I know it sounds too much but it is a possibility ;) )

• 9 months later...

@devlisa  I have switched from uniserverZ on windows and I just had the same issue with XAMPP and the problem was in the XAMPP php.ini default settings.

In XAMPP php.ini file please change:

max_execution_time=30

to

max_execution_time=1000

if this won't help, please set it even higher, for example to 3000.

After those changes please make sure to stop and start appache once again, so new values will take effect.

The real problem here is that the script will silently stop execution and you won't get anything in the server/php error log file, so it is quite hard to narrow this issue.

I remember that I had the same problem few years ago in XAMPP with other scripts (mainly Joomla!) where installation stops while importing database dump without any errors.

Anyway, this helped me to solve exactly same issue with latest XAMPP version, so it may be worth to try ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I know this doesn't solve the issue but I gave up on XAMPP (on windows), was too much hassle in the end, upgrading PHP versions etc... @bernhard pointed me in the direction of Laragon and I've never looked back since, it's a great solution and super easy to upgrade and set up your virtualhosts.

I would really suggest giving it a try (maybe not now though as the site seems to be having problems).

• Like 3