hellomoto

How to AJAX refresh field on change of another in editor?

I have a manufacturers page select field and a dependent models one with pages of template `model` which are allowed children of pages with template `manufacturer`. So I have this as the findPagesCode for the models page options field:

return $page->manufacturer->children();

However this requires the page be saved in order to display options. This is not ideal. 

I have a singular autoload module with the following:

public function init() {
    $this->pages->addHookAfter('render', $this, 'filterModels');
}
public function filterModels($event) {
    $page = $event->arguments('page');
    if($page->template != 'boat_vessel') return;
    $this->message("models filter");
}

It's doing nothing. 

I was thinking I could work out something with this example but I would need the above test to be working first anyway...

$this->pages->addHookAfter('changed', function(HookEvent $event) {
  $page = $event->object;
  $change = $event->arguments(0);
  if($page->template == 'boat_vessel' && $change == 'manufacturer') {
    // execute some code 
  }
});

But what? How do I refresh the models field?

Is there a way to do this in the field settings? I would think in the custom PHP textarea that `return $page->manufacturer->children();` would work but it doesn't. 

Actually it does, but you have to save the page to get the childpages field options.

How can I auto-save the parentpage field on selection change and immediately subsequently auto-refresh the childpage field?

I'm trying to alter some code I used to do something similar (fields for selected template) on another project (here) and so far just this simple direct snippet is not doing anything:

public function init() {
    $this->pages->addHookAfter('render', $this, 'filterModels');
  }

public function filterModels($event) {
    $page = $event->arguments('page');
    if($page->template != 'boat_vessel') return;
    $this->message("models filter");
  }

The module is active... Why no results?

There is limited (and undocumented) AJAX 'dependent selects' support built into Page Reference fields. You must use the 'Custom find' or 'Selector string' option for defining selectable pages, and reference the source Page Reference field (that exists on the same page) using syntax like this:

parent=page.page_reference_field_name

Based on testing I have found:

• It only works for Select, Select Multiple or AsmSelect inputfields
  • It does not work inside a repeater item
Edited by Robin S
Included 'Custom find'
  • Like 6

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By quickjeff
      Hi Guys, 
      I recently have received a client who has various page layouts. I wanted to give them the ability to simply add their HTML into a body field with CKEditor to allow HTML customization.
      However, the client isn't very familiar with HTML.
      This has left me to build a template that has multiple of the similar field types.
      The thing is, I cannot use the repeater since I cannot repeat lets say an image for repeated item 1 and only body field for repeater item 2.
      Therefore, I have to literally add 15 fields for them to totally be able to edit the page without issues.
      What are your thoughts on this approach?
      Also, I have to name the template according to what it contains, so I was thinking of using numbers instead of words.
      Reason being, numbers can describe the amount of title fields, body fields and images.
      Therefore something like, 3-3-2.php or three-three-two.php 
      I have never run into a situation where the client needed so many fields. I was always able to get around it with repeaters etc. 
      Thoughts?
    • By EyeDentify
      Hello There fellow PW gurus.

I am trying to make a field show as open only if the field is filled out with at string.
      for example: "my_styles.css" and stay hidden if the field is empty.

The field in question is of type "text" if that helps.

And i put in the "show this field only if"
      css_filename!=''

because the field name is "css_filename"

But no mather what the field is closed because i have choosen it as "closed" as default.

What am i doing wrong?

i am running PW 3.0.83 Dev.

• By bobbit6k
      Hi guys, 

is there a way to declare numbers other than integer and float?

My issue is that intgere is not enough for me because i'm dealing with multiple of bilions (let's say something like 111,532,372,567)

Thanks,

Rob
    • By abdus
      There's native `Fieldset in Tab` for creating editor tabs, but sometimes it could make more sense to put a field that's not directly related to `Content` into `Settings` or `Children` tab (such as for body class or some toggles that I see being used often). You can use the hook below to move fields between the tabs.

// site/ready.php wire()->addHookAfter('ProcessPageEdit::buildForm', function (HookEvent $e) { // make sure we're editing a page and not a user if ($e->process != 'ProcessPageEdit') return; // RESTRICT BY TEMPLATE // $page = $e->object->getPage(); // if ($page->template != 'home') return; // RESTRICT BY ROLE // $user = $e->user; // if (!$user->hasRole('editor')) return; $form = $e->return; $contentTab = $form->children->get('id=ProcessPageEditContent'); $settingsTab = $form->children->get('id=ProcessPageEditSettings'); // $childrenTab = $form->children->get('id=ProcessPageEditChildren'); // if page template is set noSettings = true, $settings will not exist if (!$settingsTab) return; // MOVE TITLE FIELD TO SETTINGS TAB $title = $contentTab->get('title'); if (!$title) return; $contentTab->remove('title'); $settingsTab->prepend($title); });  

• By abdus
      Based on this forum post, I wanted to find a more elegant solution for changing a field's settings per template. Hooking the page editor after it generates the form works and may still be needed for more complex modifications. But using field & template context, it's easier to modify the field settings and it greatly reduces the need for creating an almost identical field just to adjust a few things.
      In my blog post, I've written on how to extend contextual options to allow any fieldtype / inputfield settings to be changed depending on the template. Hope you find it useful, and if you have any questions or comments, feel free to post them here.
      https://abdus.co/blog/doing-more-with-fewer-fields-in-processwire/