ProcessWire Wikipedia Page is Down

clsource

The Wikipedia log shows that the page was previously deleted and restored, but there is no deletion log for this disappearance.

So the only thing I can think of (and I don't know how Wikipedia works) is that the page was unpublished for editing, to be re-published at a later stage. To me, that doesn't make too much sense unless, perhaps, multiple members of the community are working on the page (however, there is no Talk page).

Looks like the page was deleted on 16 August for reasons of "Searches are finding only PR and trivial links, nothing at all summarizes to actual substance." Which is bizarre as a Google search for ProcessWire would obviously turn up a large number of results.

Then the page was restored (by the same user who deleted it) on 1 October without explanation as to why, but only restored to Draft status.

I emailed with the guy that deleted it last month. I didn't get a clear answer about what the problem was, but there were a couple of old links in there that went to 404s, so I think that was part of it. It also sounds like some people helping to manage content at Wikipedia don't think that those involved in a project should be the same ones to maintain the Wikipedia page on it. I think that makes sense in a lot of cases (like for commercial projects especially), but doesn't make much sense in our case. I am aware that nearly all the other CMS projects (open source and commercial) are maintaining their own Wikipedia pages. If someone else would be interested in helping to maintain the Wikipedia page I think that would be good, so that it's clear it's a community and not just some dude in his basement trying to write a Wikipedia page for something that nobody knows about. 

I did make a lot of edits and removed old links, updated information, etc., but honestly can't figure out how to publish it. So it remains a draft for now. I think we may need someone that knows Wikipedia better to figure this out. :) But I would like to go ahead and re-publish our Wikipedia page. But how?

• Like 4

All sorted - I published it which actually requires: More > Move

Thanks @adrian great to see it back! It looks like you know Wikipedia much better than me, would you be able to help maintain the page for ProcessWire going forward too?

• Like 3

it seems, that @arjen also knows Wikipedia:

@horst That's great! Thanks @arjen! The more people we have working on it I think the better. I think part of the issue before was just that I created the page 5 years ago and had been the only one making updates to it, and likewise only one that crosslinked it to the CMS and CMF list pages on Wikipedia. I'm guessing this flags it somehow, as Wikipedia likes to see more community involvement (which makes sense). Since I'm still the person that originally created the page, I think it's also best that I'm not the one that adds it on other sections in Wikipedia. If any of you guys thinks that ProcessWire belongs on the Wikipedia CMS and CMF lists, would you consider adding ProcessWire to these pages below?

List of content management systems:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_content_management_systems

List of content management frameworks:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_content_management_frameworks

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ryan said:

Thanks @adrian great to see it back! It looks like you know Wikipedia much better than me, would you be able to help maintain the page for ProcessWire going forward too?

haha - in reality it was Google that knew it better than you :)

But I am happy to help maintain it.

It might be nice if we have one person assigned to updating the latest stable version / release date info on the list of CMS's just so that a bunch of us don't go looking every week (or whenever you push dev to master which is pretty often these days) to see if it's already been done. I can put it in my calendar to take care of this.

• Like 2