pmarki

module
General site settings module

46 posts in this topic

This module provides a solution for keeping various site settings in one place (titles, slogans, api keys, emails, addresses, etc.).

Features

- Admin can create unlimited number of settings
- Settings can be grouped
- Admin can set setting label, notes, property name, field width and type
- Settings can be of type text, checkbox, radios, select, email, url, integer

How to use

In module configuration create as many settings as needed. Customize their label, type, width and provide a name you want to use in a template files (property name). After that admin can set those  settings on "General Settings" page in "Setup" section.
Every time you wish to output eg. site name you can use $settings->site_name or wire('settings')->site_name or $settings->option2 to get value of 'Check it' as seen on the first screenshot. (Checked checkbox returns 1).
You can change global name ($settings) to something else in module configuration.

To get basic markup with all settings and their values use $settings->render(), usefull to check returning values (esp. select/radios - their values are sanitized as page names).

Current limitation:
-no way to change order of settings,
-new settings can only be added at the bottom.

Multilanguage

To make fields multilanguage aware create a field with a same property name with '_languageName' appended. Example: Your site has two languages: default and french, create site_title and site_title_french fields. Put in a template $settings->site_title. If a user has set french language, this module output site_title_french, otherwise site_title. Please notice that render() function is not language aware.

https://github.com/pmarki/ProcessGeneralSettings

Screenshot_20160920_110011.pngScreenshot_20160830_180429.png

Edited by pmarki
new features added
10 people like this

I'm using my MultiValueTextformatter module for such things, added to the Home page. Works fine, though it's for the developer only, not for the client because he could easily mess things up. If I use an InputfieldTextaraeaLanguage then it's multilanguage too - btw, is your module multilang capable?

I have another idea in mind for such a module that would heavily depend on JavaScript (namely Vue.js). It would be responsible for the UI, all settings would be saved as one JSON.

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, tpr said:

I'm using my MultiValueTextformatter module for such things, added to the Home page. Works fine, though it's for the developer only, not for the client because he could easily mess things up. If I use an InputfieldTextaraeaLanguage then it's multilanguage too - btw, is your module multilang capable?

I have another idea in mind for such a module that would heavily depend on JavaScript (namely Vue.js). It would be responsible for the UI, all settings would be saved as one JSON.

Yes, I used to use MultiValueTextformatter for this and had the same worries. Just modified it a little to have 'some kind of multilanguage support', not as convenient as built in pw, but better than nothing :rolleyes:

1 person likes this

Multilanguage can complicate things a lot and most non-techie people doesn't even recognize that. At one of my workplaces they asked me to place 3 language flags to the header - they thought it's just as easy like that :)

2 people like this

I have reorganize module settings, it uses JSON and ASM Select for fields, now it's possible to reorder settings, add, delete and so on. The only drawback is that it's not compatible with previous version. If you want to update, you will lose all entered  settings.

1 person likes this

Nice! I haven't used it yet just had a quick look.

How about removing the "pencil" icon from the asm items and open the edit modal on click? I think this is the "natural" way of setting asmList item options in PW so people should be aware of that.

27 minutes ago, tpr said:

asmList item options

Where are those options? Have I missed them so far? The only similar behavior is the action of the "drop down headers" of Repeater items (but those have the arrow like "greater-than sign") like this:

repeater-example.png

We can only drag-and-drop or delete standard asmSelect list items, at least that's what I have thought so far. Am I missing something?

Eg when editing a template you can click on a field (asmList item) and set a few things there (overrides). Is that new to you? :) 

Luckily, I have not had to update templates recently :P Jokes aside, yeah, now I see what you meant, but as a side note let me add that even those asmSelects have "text with links on them" and I thought you were referring to simply clicking on the bounding box itself and not on an additional element of it like the <a> in this case. The pencil icon might not be used in the ProcessWire admin in this context, but some sort of indicator is used, and generally I like these indicators, so that even newcomers can figure out the intended behavior. 

Well if they get used to the pencil icon then when wil they learn the default PW workings? :)

There's an issue in the module: its SettingsJS.js is added not only in the module's page but every (admin) page and asmList items get the "pencil" icons. Of course clicking on them do nothing, apart from this error:

SettingsJS.js:50 Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'undefined' of null

Setting line 42 to this fixes it:

if ($this->wire('user')->isLoggedin() && $this->input->get('name') == __CLASS__) {

3 people like this

2 hours ago, tpr said:

How about removing the "pencil" icon from the asm items and open the edit modal on click?

I think I'll leave it as is. It's a good indicator for newcomers and obvious for advanced.

38 minutes ago, tpr said:

Setting line 42 to this fixes it:

Thanks, fixed

Have you updated the module in the module directory? Update says the latest is v110.

20 minutes ago, pmarki said:

Done, but honestly I thought it's done automatically.

It is done automatically, once a day I think (?)...However, you can always do it manually if you can't wait :-) 

9 hours ago, monchu said:

Hi pmarki, can I use this module for pw 3.xx version?

Yes, it works with pw3. Just updated module info and added textarea field.

2 people like this

If only I knew how to do this...

Adding file fields isn't easy, beacuse you have to store a file somewhere. So far I haven't find a way to achieve this :(

But any advice would be appreciated :)

I'm sorry, but I'm facing exactly the same problem. I'm no expert at all, but I guess the module has to create a new file/image field, a new template with that field assigned and finally a new page based on that template. Then this page could be used to store the image. Somehow. Maybe. :rolleyes:

i would think that a general site settings module should just store settings, and not any files or images - if you need those just add a custom field to your settings template (?)

alternately ftp upload the image to a specific folder and then reference that file's path in the setting...

1 person likes this

14 hours ago, Macrura said:

alternately ftp upload the image to a specific folder and then reference that file's path in the setting...

There's certainly nothing wrong with that approach and for sure it's quite common, but I think it is somewhat limited:

• the customer/editor has to leave his known environment (ProcessWire backend in this case) and has to use FTP/SSH whatever
  • the referenced image is not available for image manipulations, for example: automatic creation a favicons in different solutions

it depends - a lot of times if you are talking about a logo, that is a really specific image that might be precisely sized and optimized for display, may have light/dark versions, smaller icon version for mobile, maybe a version with a tagline, as well as possibly retina versions;

it could be something you don't want the client to have access to change.

On the other hand if you did want the client to have access to it and be able to change it, you might need a multi-image field with tags, so that you could upload all of the versions of the logo and tag them (light, dark, retina, icon or whatever). This is why i would recommend using the system's native image fields for images...

1 person likes this