pwFoo

FrontendUser: login, logout and register users / members

Hi,

You could check the url param to render the login / register form OR the password reset content?

I don't use register and login at the same page. I use different pages and urls like /login and /register.

Forgot Password is just the core module. You also could disable the integration and implement / load it with custom code.

Hi pwFoo,

I think I have discovered a small part for improvement towards the user.

Currently, when a user chooses a username containing umlauts and/or mixed case (like: MötörCode), the first email will display the username as given, since it was sanitized by "text" only.

in the next step, the username in the session (which still has umlauts and mixed case chars) will be put inside the username field.

If the user now chooses a password and submits, this name will be sanitized by "pageName" - which in the above example will result in "mtrcode".

This username is correctly displayed in the second and final E-Mail.

Since PW stores username as a page pagename is correct, but I think it should be displayed as such in the first email as well.

And I would propose to use sanitizer "pageNameTranslate", since then the above would result in "moetoercode".

Regarding the first email, I think FrontendUserRegisterEmailValidation.module line 90:

wire('session')->set('registerUsername', $form->fhValue('username', 'text'));

changed to

wire('session')->set('registerUsername', $form->fhValue('username', 'pageNameTranslate'));

would do.

For the second part, I've hooked into before save,

$fu->addHookBefore('save',function($event){
        $event->object->userObj->name = $event->object->form->fhValue('username','pageNameTranslate');
    });

but I'm not sure where this would be covered best in the module's process.

Let me know what you think, unsure about the "username" part, since maybe it would be of greater flexibility to have a "nickname" field (which can keep up and lowercase and umlauts), independently from the "name" field - but even then "pageNameTranslate" would make for better page names in the backend for umlauterists. :-)

EDIT

ah, I just re-read the documentation on bitbucket, and in the plugin section I see you have covered the nick name case. Nice! :-)

Cheers,

Tom

• Like 1

Hey Guys,

I just installed the module and it seems to work since it's actually outputting a register form, but I don't have any styling to go with it?

The .css files in the modules directory are all but empty, just like the .js files, I also redownloaded the master file outside of processwire

and it doesn't contain any styling either. I read that It's possible to overwrite the styling by putting files with the same names as the ones

in the modules directory in templates/FrontendUser,  but the originals are pretty much empty, so what is there to overwrite?

Also, I can't find where I could change sentences like:

"Password must be at least 6 characters and have at least 1 letter and 1 digit. Password may not have whitespace."

Can anybody help me out?

thanx! :)

Bram

Hello,

module uses the PW form api and isn't styled:

https://processwire.com/talk/topic/2089-create-simple-forms-using-api/

https://processwire.com/talk/topic/6184-form-and-css/

Just overwrite the (emtpy) style and script files ;)

Link to the documentation:

Styles, scripts & templates

The error message is defined by the form api / inputfield. You can overwrite it too.

https://processwire.com/talk/topic/4659-customizing-error-messages-for-inputfields/

Regards

• Like 1

Hi pwFoo,

Thanks for your reply! I checked out Soma's code and I understand it for the most part, but I find it hard to

translate the pieces of code for FrontEndUser to his examples since I don't know whether to use the same

code, or change $form to $fu and so on... So i was hoping you could help me out abit.

I implemented a register form already, and styled it myself O:)

I'm redirecting that form to /profile when its submitted succesfully. 

Now it does create a new user with the right attributed ( a role ) but

it doens't log the user in. And I don't know how to set this up.

Also it would be nice to send the new User a small confirmation email 

with his email and password. Is there any change you could point me

in the right direction for this? I would greatly appreciate any help with this :)

Thanx!

Bram

You could use the email verification plugin (https://bitbucket.org/pwFoo/frontenduser/wiki/Documentation#markdown-header-register) or use PW hooks to add your own features (that's the way FrontendUser is built).

https://bitbucket.org/pwFoo/frontenduser/wiki/Register%20extensions%20and%20plugins

https://bitbucket.org/pwFoo/frontenduser/wiki/Login%20extensions%20and%20plugins

Send an email after user registration just use the PW addHookAfter (PW hooks) the method FrontendUser::save to send an email with WireMail.

All FrontendUser module messages should be translatable. For example ("$this->_()"):

/**
     * Save the temp User object
     * @param User $user Temp User object to save
     * @return boolean Sucessful (true) saved or not (false)
     */
    protected function ___save($user) {
        if (empty($user->name) || empty($user->email) || $user->pass->hash == '') {
            return $this->_('Register process unexpected failed!');
        }
        if ($user->save()) {
            return true;
        }
        return $this->_('User registration failed!');
    }

Registered user won't logged in automatically, but you could add a hook to do it. addHookAfter FrontendUser::save and execute $this->session->login() or the FrontendUser method auth()

• Like 3

hi pwFoo!

Thanks for the reply! I've been dabbling around with it for hours but I can't get it to work  :huh:

why is this so fucking hard? :( :( I just want it to log in after registration and it simply doesn't.

$fu = $modules->get('FrontendUser');

// prepare register form
$fu->register();

// Default parameter
$fu->register(array('username', 'email', 'password'));

// De rol "ZZP" toevoegen aan gebruiker
$fu->addHookBefore('save', function($event) {
    $user = wire('fu')->userObj;
    $user->addRole('zzp');
});

// Login na succesvolle aanmelding
$fu->addHookAfter('save', function($event) {
	$this->session->login();	
});

// Additional email pre-register validation plugin (built-in)
//$fu->register(array('username', 'email', 'emailValidation', 'password'));

// Redirect destination:
$redirect = $pages->get('/zzp-ers/gegevens/')->url;

// process register / form submit
$fu->process($redirect);

// output register form
echo $fu->render();

This is de code i've been using and on the page "gegevens" I just show the username if logged in, and "You're not logged in" when

users aren't.

Could somebody please show me how to get this to work?

thanks!

Gr,

Bram

// prepare register form
$fu->register();

// Default parameter
$fu->register(array('username', 'email', 'password'));

Remove one off the lines above. You prepare the form twice ;)

Take a look at the cheatsheet / API documentation. login()  need login credentials!

$session->login($name, $pass)

So you have to prepare username and password variables before you call login method.

Thanks for the hint in the right direction,

after a few hours of searching I finally found the right syntax somewhere in the forum.

I couldn't find this specific call anywhere in the documentation on FrontEndUser?

This is how I logged in my user after a successfull login:

// Login after succesfull registration
$fu->addHookAfter('save', function($event) {
    $user = $event->object->form->fhValue('username','text');
    $pass = $event->object->form->fhValue('password','text');
    $this->session->login($user, $pass);	
});

• Like 1

How to add/remove css classes to rendered form?

I want to change how it's rendering, I can hide <li> through css, but how to add another class to form input field? 

Hi Guys,

I've been trying to translate the registration form to dutch and I've managed to do so with Username and Password.

But I don't know which field to call for the password description field. 

Does anybody know which field to point to to change this?

"Password must be at least 6 characters and have at least 1 letter and 1 digit. Password may not have whitespace."

$usernameField = $fu->form->get("username");
$usernameField->label = "Gebruikersnaam";

$passwordField = $fu->form->get("password");
$passwordField->label = "Wachtwoord";

Thanks! :)

Bram

Before you can modify fields the login / register form have to be created first by execute $fu->login() method with or without optional parameters.

After that you should be able to get form / fields and modify as needed.

hi pwFoo,

thanks for your reply. I have indeed executed the register en login forms, and they work perfectly fine, the only problem I have is that I don't know which field to target to be able to change the password description text. Would you happen to know which one that is?

Bram

Hi,

fields are just PW form api fields. should be something like

$usernameField = $fu->form->get("username");
$usernameField->description = "this is my description";

Take a look here: https://processwire.com/talk/topic/7903-add-description-to-form-field-object-method-missing/

There are many great posts about PW form api here in the forums. Also link to Soma's post again ;)

https://processwire.com/talk/topic/2089-create-simple-forms-using-api/

Yes! SOLVED

This is what I was looking for, quite obvious! But thanks alot :)

// update password field attributes in a login or registration form

$passwordField = $fu->form->get("password");
$passwordField->label = "New password label";
$passwordField->description = "Password description";
  • Like 1

I've to write a little love letter!

I just play the whole day with your modules and i've to say that i'm very very overtaken by your simple modules with a real big benefit to rule API forms and user managment things!

Thumbs up for your input on this topic!

Until now, all i've done worked and i will use this for my first bigger community project website (about several hundred frontend users) and will report how fu() will work.

But this modules follow PW basic rules - simple - easy to use so i don't see any rough edges...;)

Just wanna say a real big thank you and make the suggestion to put the modules from "alpha" state to "beta" ...since many things are fixed the last few months and i think theese modules are indeed in production use...

Best Regards mr-fan

• Like 3

Thanks!  :D

FormHelper and FrontendUser are my first PHP modules. Written with a really basic knowledge of PHP and also PW (just after my first steps with it ;) ). That's why the first approach ignored the PW hooks and used custom code for that...

I learned how to use the power of the PW API and PW hooks. I surprised about the powerful and simple module creation with the PW API and PW hooks!

At the moment I moved to some other topics (Linux, Docker, change IDE,  ...). But I'll come back to PW soon, because I love PW and also the awesome community here!

• Like 6

How do I check whether the user who wants to register has entered a username that does not contain accents, spaces, and any other characters that are not allowed? Can it be achieved server-side with a hook, or do we have to use something like "InputfieldPageName.js" from the core on the frontend?

The issue I'm having is that if someone for example enters a space in his or her username, it will be converted into a dash (which they wouldn't realize unless we indicate it to them specifically), and they wouldn't understand why they can't log in after registering.

Using FrontendUser and FormHelper modules on dev 3.0.18 here without problems...

• Like 1

Using FrontendUser and FormHelper modules on dev 3.0.18 here without problems...

@mr-fan, thanks for the good news.

There was a little adjustment to be compatible with 3.0 in the past. 

@mr-fan

Thanks for helping out with support here :)

• Like 1

Oh i forgot one little problem...you mentioned....https://processwire.com/talk/topic/9811-frontenduser-login-logout-and-register-users-members/page-6#entry108578

i changed the module that the registration with emailverification works again:

// Load the plain / html email templates
$emailContentHtml =
'<html>
	<body>
		<p>'.$vars['content'].'</p>
		<!-- empty line and comment only lines works as a linebreak with plain emails -->
		<p>Internetseite: <strong>'.wire('config')->httpHost.'</strong></p>

<p>Benutzername: <strong>'.$vars['username'].'</strong><br />
		Email Adresse: <strong>'.$vars['email'].'</strong></p>

<p>Freischaltcode: <strong>'.$vars['token'].'</strong></p>

<p>Link zur Registrierung:<br />
		<strong>'.$vars['url'].'</strong></p>
	</body>
</html>';

so the mailbody is generated directly in the module and not loaded via render->template - i think there is a little change in the 3.x render methode...so it doesn't work?

@pwFoo i'm glad to help here since i use this module for a bigger project and dig deep into - for now i've a little deadline but after it i could provide some snippets and detailed examples of usage...

Best regards mr-fan