Module: ProcessWire Core Upgrade

ryan

21 hours ago, wbmnfktr said:

No automated updates (I am not an adrenalin enthusiast)!

If you end up writing something with github action / webhooks / etc to automate things on a staging setup, and rockmigrating rolling back if your written test cases fail, please do not hesitate to share it with us  (I am not sending subliminal messages) 😄

12 hours ago, monollonom said:

non tested code written from my phone

I would like to be able to give you more likes 👍😹

• Like 3

On 5/13/2023 at 10:27 AM, monollonom said:

Something like:

$wire->addHook("LazyCron::everyMonth", function(HookEvent $event) {

1st thought: Wow, that is brilliant!!!

2nd thought: We have to build a module from/for that!!

3rd thought: Hm... How would I actually use it. What fields would we need to have? Would I actually want to update, just because there are updates? Isn't it actually more dangerous to update modules than to just leave them untouched? I mean - I'm also keeping all modules up to date usually, but in general that happens during development so I'm hands on that project and I instantly see if something breaks. So how are you thinking to use that @wbmnfktr and others?

I'm also happy to read about RockMigrations, though I wonder if the use case would be a good one for RM... It's actually built more for the opposite of reverting changes. It's really good add adding/changing things, but I'm usually reverting things just by git reset and/or "php rockshell db-restore"

I really like the idea of having some kind of PW Assistant (or copilot) that notifies the admin about important things. It would be to define thought what those important things could be. I could think of several things like monitoring file count, file size, db site, file permissions etc. of an installation. Maybe also a 404 monitor or such. Maybe I'm already too many steps ahead, but I think if I really wanted to add something like this it would need to be something really useful and just updating for the sake of being up to date is just not enough for me 🙂 

Edit: Related: https://processwire.com/talk/topic/28499-automation-hooks-make-life-easier/#comment-232765

• Like 3