Ecotec.de

totoff

Hi forum,

I got a new one online last week: www.ecotec.de

A fully responsive website for a German consulting firm specialized in cost-cutting strategies for industries with high energy consumption. Again based on my - evolved - Unsemantic Site Profile which allows for responsive sites compatible down to IE7.

The site incorporates a former stand-alone WP blog which has been integrated into the new site. For this I used the new Migrator and Wordpess Migrator modules and got grandiose personal support from adrian and nico. Thank you guys, you were extremely helpful and patient.

Other modules used:

However, though I learned a lot from this project and improved my coding skills, I didn't fall in love with the site. In particular I'm unhappy with the purple/gray color scheme. Originally the project scope included a - soft - redesign of the brand appearance. But while the process was ongoing, my client somehow realized that he was still in love with his logo, his Futura font (buh!) and his purple primary color (buh, buh!). We had some very tough discussions about this in the middle of the project, but what can you do? At the end, here we are: in a purple dream. I hope I made the best out of it.

One last thing (no, not what you think): The front page doesn't validate. The validator claims open elements in the blog posts section of the front page. For heaven's sake, I can't find an error in my code. So, if someone finds out why, please let me know.

Cheers

• Like 13

Oh, I like violet!

On the blog side of things, since you migrated, what have you done about re-routing incoming links to blog posts on the old WP installation?

I need to migrate a couple of my old ones, and that is something I was thinking about.

Nice, clean site, though! :)

what have you done about re-routing incoming links to blog posts on the old WP installation?

Hmm, can I speak to my lawyer please?

Honestly, simply a 301 from the former TLD to /blog. The perfect way would have been a 1:1 redirect for each post - somewhat less than 80 at the time of migrating. Considering the tight budget I decided to set other priorities.  :rolleyes:

However, this is a very particular business the client runs. It won't take long to rank perfect for the relevant search terms ...

Really like the page. Great layout and it's clear what they do. 

One small suggestion: Maybe you could replace the logo on the top-left with a retina/high resolution one? Everything else on the site looks nice and clean on my macbook. (Yes, I know. People with high density screens are the minority but we're growing fast ;) )

• Like 1

Good work on the site - nice and clean :)

On mine, I am going to try and replicate links if I can so I don't actually have to do any redirects. But it might take a little adventure with URL segments, I suspect ... :)

301 redirects are perfectly reasonable though Joss - you could just use that handy module by Antti: http://modules.processwire.com/modules/process-redirects/

One last thing (no, not what you think): The front page doesn't validate. The validator claims open elements in the blog posts section of the front page. For heaven's sake, I can't find an error in my code. So, if someone finds out why, please let me know.

You don't close the <ul> of your blog posts (2nd error). 3rd error is a following error because of that.

1st error is a common html5 boilerplate thing which shouldn't concern you. 

One thing in general: Put the Javascript to the bottom and I don't know the CSS framework underlying, but using CSS expressions for responsive web design seems a bit outdated ;-)

Besides that: The site looks good and does fit to the topic. I know your struggling with given font and colors, but you made the best out of it!

• Like 2

Error Line 1, Column 219: Bad value x-ua-compatible for attribute http-equiv on element meta.

…="x-ua-compatible" content="ie=edge" /><meta name="viewport" content="width=de…

You can avoid the first error. Place this in the htaccess instead of a metatag.

http://www.456bereastreet.com/archive/201103/x-ua-compatible_and_html5/

• Like 1

Honestly, simply a 301 from the former TLD to /blog. The perfect way would have been a 1:1 redirect for each post - somewhat less than 80 at the time of migrating. Considering the tight budget I decided to set other priorities.   :rolleyes:

You have me thinking - I bet I could have Migrator create these automatically, so long as the Redirects module is installed :)

I'll look into it.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your kind comments. And sorry for my late reply - I was offline for a week.

@MadeMyDay

You don't close the <ul> of your blog posts (2nd error). 3rd error is a following error because of that.

The issue here is ul.recent-posts - but it is closed (check for yourself with Firebug). That's why I don't understand the validation error.

I don't know the CSS framework underlying, but using CSS expressions for responsive web design seems a bit outdated ;-)

The framework is Unsemantic. The only responsive grid I know that offers backward compatibility down to IE7 - a feature I need as I have many clients in the health sector. I assume that's why the expressions are there.

Put the Javascript to the bottom

Will do. :-)

• 2 weeks later...
The issue here is ul.recent-posts - but it is closed (check for yourself with Firebug). That's why I don't understand the validation error.

Well, browsers always try to fix invalid markup themselves. You have to check the generated source code (Right click -> view source code), not the "live" source code from FireBug.

The framework is Unsemantic. The only responsive grid I know that offers backward compatibility down to IE7 - a feature I need as I have many clients in the health sector. I assume that's why the expressions are there.

Hm. I don't understand why one should offer a responsive version to a browser which cannot handle media queries. Also IE8 and IE7 are not used on mobile devices, so the only group you target are people with a very small desktop screen. Or am I missing something? ;)

Hm. I don't understand why one should offer a responsive version to a browser which cannot handle media queries. Also IE8 and IE7 are not used on mobile devices, so the only group you target are people with a very small desktop screen. Or am I missing something? ;)

The point probably is to serve the same content to any browser and be sure it is possible to view the content right. Most of the grids simply break on IE8-.

Unsemantic can work without media queries with adapt.js.

Most of the grids simply break on IE8-.

Usually they don't break but display the mobile version if a "mobile first" approach is applied. If IE8- should be supported, I would rather polyfill the media queries for them. But I think this is a more a religious question :)

• Like 1

I guess serving mobile version to a considerable amount of clients is not a good idea. So using Unsemantic seems like is a good decision. Skelton is the other thing that could do the job, but it is a framework, not just grid system. And it is not fluid as Unsemantic is. I am sure you are aware of all this. Just for the record ))

And no holywars, of course. Those should have ended in 11th century for good.

Well, browsers always try to fix invalid markup themselves. You have to check the generated source code (Right click -> view source code), not the "live" source code from FireBug.

Thanks, you made my day ;-) The code was inside a function, that's why I didn't find the error first.

Unsemantic can work without media queries with adapt.js.

That's the point. Unsemantic doesn't break and IE7 gets a viewable desktop version.

I guess serving mobile version to a considerable amount of clients is not a good idea.

Yupp.