Deployment issues

artaylor

Hi,

I have deployed a PW 2.4 site to a shared domain as an addon domain. The URL is http://www.upasana.ca. I have run into the following issues:

1. If I use the .htaccess file that ships with PW 2.4 I get an "Internal Server Error". I have PW 2.3 sites as addons and they are working. If I copy the .htaccess file from PW 2.3 the site appears to work. The main site is a PW 2.3 site so I don't know if there is a conflict between the addon domain having PW 2.4.

2. I am getting an unstyled login and admin system. I think this might be permissions. When I check the permissions for the /wire folders they are 755 and files are 600. I do not know if the files should be 644 but I don't want to mess with the wire folders unless I know what is supposed to be there.

Thanks,

Anthony

@adrian: Thanks for the suggestion.

I just heard back from the hosting support. It was the "SetEnv HTTP_MOD_REWRITE On" line that needed to be commented out.  So that solves issue number one. I still have the unstyled admin problem.

It does seem to be file permissions. I changed the file permissions in the /wire/modules/AdminTheme/AdminThemeDefault/styles from 600 to 644 and now I am getting some styling. My question is, can I just CHMOD all the files in all the folders in /wire to 644 or is this going to create a problem?

644 is standard for files on most server configurations. I am curious why they ended up as 600 in the first place though?

In case you don't know, and you have terminal access, this will recursively set all files to 644:

find . -type f -print0 | xargs -0 chmod 644

and if you ever need to do any changes to just folders, this will do the trick:

find . -type d -print0 | xargs -0 chmod 755 
  • Like 1

@adrian. Thanks again.

I thought this was the case, but I did not want to open up the site for security problems by changing file permissions in the wrong place. I will go do this.

Thanks for the commands as well. I appreciate you taking the extra time!

No problem,

Having given you those commands, please remember that permissions are not the only thing that must be considered. You must also take into account the owner/group of the files, which is why some web hosts will need different permissions to others for things to work as expected. The typical setup however works with the 755/644 that you are used to seeing.

This is a reasonably decent writeup of things if you are interested in a read:

http://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/309527-understanding-linux-file-permissions

• Like 1