Autocomplete Text field similar to InputfieldPageAutocomplete

I have a scenario where I have a need to store text in a field that may be reused subsequently, but sometimes may be just a one off.

I could use a page reference field with InputfieldPageAutocomplete, configured to allow adding new items on the fly, but there are likely to be times that the text input will never be used again for another record.

I guess I'd call it InputfieldTextAutocomplete, and it would work pretty much like InputfieldPageAutocomplete, however rather than storing a page reference, it would store text from a specified field in the lookup page OR input custom text to the text field.

Has anyone already made a module with this functionality? I've had a browse through the module directory, and can't see anything, but I'm guessing it's functionality that might be quite handy.

A specific usage scenario: Record visitor names to a site. Some people may only ever visit a site once. Others are regular visitors and need to complete a form each time they visit. To save time, regular visitors should be able to start typing their details and have the system autocomplete, but for one off cases, someone shouldn't need to create a related record.

I can also see a version of this being useful for Form Builder, where people can start typing and pick a list option, or type something not already in the list.

@ryan any thoughts?