Hosting to recommend?

Marco Ro

Hi everyone,

Do you have a Hosting that uses Apache in Europe to recommend?

At the moment I'm using Sitegroud the Cloud hosting version 3CPU 4G di RAM, but I don't like it, they have made updates and it always gives me problems.
Also, they use NGINX and I seem to understand that it doesn't combine well with Processwire

Yes sure @netcarvermanaged possible with include not less than 4CPU and 8G Ram, and that can carry a heavy load of PHP processes.
Our site is a bit heavy I'm trying to move some client side processes and also changing the markup by putting less php rendering and more html, but the website still heavy.I just add proCache but on some pages the server response times remain long.

Thank you @rick, I know ovh. I only used it once, it seems like a good service, but I did have problems with customer support and one time the server broken down bad for hours. I built this site on it: medipet.it, it is a Processwire + Padloaper. It's over a year old and I don't think it has ever had any maintenance, but it still good.

5 minutes ago, Marco Ro said:

I know ovh. I only used it once, it seems like a good service, but I did have problems with customer support and one time the server broken down bad for hours.

Well then I'll remove ovh option. ? I haven't used ovh, it was the only other European provider I could think of at the time.

Nice site!

If I needed that spec, cheaply (ie. self-managed), I'd consider Contabo's cheapest plan at ~Euro5/month + tax.

Otherwise I've never had trouble with Digital Ocean's droplets or Hetzner's VPSs but the prices are much higher for that spec (US$40/month + tax on DO and ~Euro15/month for Hetzner + tax.)

You didn't mention your bandwidth requirements so you'd also need to look at what's included in those plans and budget accordingly.

• Like 1

Me too was looking to Digital Ocean's, is so interesting service. But I didn't experience and It seems a bit complex to use.

I did not know Hetzner's, it is very interesting the MX93-HDD plan would be what we need even if it is a bit more expensive than what we pay now which is 79€

Thank you so much, I will take them into consideration.

1 hour ago, Marco Ro said:

Me too was looking to Digital Ocean's, is so interesting service. But I didn't experience and It seems a bit complex to use.

If you don't want to get into server management/installation of lamp stack i'd recommend Ploi, Runcloud, Serverpilot or one those to skip that part. I've alway felt it is worth every penny. 

• Like 1

https://www.planethoster.com/en/
https://www.planethoster.com/en/World-Hosting (see more details below the reviews. Example: "a pool of resources and you decide how to distribute them".)
(But you also have https://www.planethoster.com/en/HybridCloud-Servers if needed.)
Servers in France (Paris) and/or Canada (Montreal).
8 CPU - 16 GB RAM - 16 MB/s I/O
cPanel and now also N0C.
Several languages, several database types, etc.
Free domain name.
Cheaper if you take 2 or 3 years instead of one.
Several important and interesting discounts available:
https://docs.planethoster.com/guide/facturation/code-promo-rabais-remise-promotion (In French but you can google-translate it if needed. I can't find it in English.)
Random example among others: "7- Obtenez la période restante prépayée chez un compétiteur en mensualité(s) gratuite(s) PlanetHoster."
Also: https://www.planethoster.com/en/Affiliates
But you cannot accumulate discounts (from code-promo-rabais-remise-promotion or Affiliates).
Normally you automatically have a 15% discount that is activated when you are a new client/customer (or you can copy a promo code manually).
Several currencies.
Free World Lite.
VIP option: Includes all the features of the World Platform - Free private WHOIS for all your domain names - Free premium VPN (multiple locations!) - LITESPEED  + LSCache
Etc.

Added: PHA-awin (promo code to have 25% currently. I don't know how long it will be valid. This one already existed before.)
Non-profit entities."25 % de remise/rabais pour les organismes à but non-lucratif (OSBL)". Then the second year and more: -10%.

Edited by Christophe
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Marco Ro said:

I'm using DO with basic setup, and it's easy to manage. One droplet for web and one for the database.
To manage the database, I use Heidi SQL and PuttY for the app.

I've been with Krystal.uk for the last 18 months and they are absolutely amazing, it's an independent UK based business.
They usually respond to support queries in minutes or couple of hours max.
They use LiteSpeed but it's a drop-in replacement for Apache with htaccess support and all, not to mention the improvements such as HTTP/2 and LSCache.
I'm on their shared hosting but their performance still runs circles around any other host I used, they also offer managed or unmanaged VPS. As far as I know all their hardware runs on 100% SSD too.

You can't beat DigitalOcean pricing but with them you are on your own. Krystal's pricing is transparent though, and they give you a lot of things as standard that you would pay extra for with others.