VeiJari

Sanitize input->get()

Hello forum, this is my first security related post, so I'm a bit of a newbie.

I understand that when I have direct front-input from user I should sanitize the input, but how about when I use a secret key for showing a API for a third-party supplier? Should I sanitize the input->get() key?

I've tested this issue and I tried ?key=<?php echo $page->field; ?> And without adding any sanitization it comes back: /?key=<?php%20echo%20$page->field;%20?>

So can I rely on this, or should I still use $sanitizer just in case?

Thanks for the help!

14 hours ago, VeiJari said:

I understand that when I have direct front-input from user I should sanitize the input, but how about when I use a secret key for showing a API for a third-party supplier? Should I sanitize the input->get() key?

I've tested this issue and I tried ?key=<?php echo $page->field; ?> And without adding any sanitization it comes back: /?key=<?php%20echo%20$page->field;%20?>

So can I rely on this, or should I still use $sanitizer just in case?

What you're seeing there is just what happens between browser and server, i.e. spaces getting replaced by %20. If you're echoing the value, it won't get executed as PHP code (you'd have to call eval or something similar to get that effect), but it could still allow HTML or JavaScript through – which is probably also something you don't want to allow. For an example, see what happens if you set the key value as <script>alert("hi")</script> instead.

The general rule of thumb is to always sanitize user input 🙂

That being said, if you're certain that you're only reading the GET variable and comparing it to some pre-defined value, and you'll never store or output it as-is, then there's no real harm in not sanitizing it. As you've proven yourself, it won't get evaluated as PHP code.

• Like 3

On 8/5/2019 at 7:34 PM, teppo said:

What you're seeing there is just what happens between browser and server, i.e. spaces getting replaced by %20. If you're echoing the value, it won't get executed as PHP code (you'd have to call eval or something similar to get that effect), but it could still allow HTML or JavaScript through – which is probably also something you don't want to allow. For an example, see what happens if you set the key value as <script>alert("hi")</script> instead.

The general rule of thumb is to always sanitize user input 🙂

That being said, if you're certain that you're only reading the GET variable and comparing it to some pre-defined value, and you'll never store or output it as-is, then there's no real harm in not sanitizing it. As you've proven yourself, it won't get evaluated as PHP code.

Thank you, it's only to compare it to a backend field that only admin's has access to.

I understand the basic principle now.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By nuel
      Dear PW Community
      Let me shout out my question here, I really don't know where to start and hope someone can give me a hint or tell me to resign and go home and cry.
      I want to create a subpage that is only accessible to people with unique access codes. It's gonna be an online concert streaming page (thanks Corona!). People who buy tickets through a local ticketing service should be able to access and stream the show with their individual access code. These codes should work only for this person and show. If someone in the «audience» closes and reopens the page, they should get in again, but not their friends who were given the code of course, basically just like in a club with a ticket and a stamp on the wrist.
      Now, is there a possibility to achieve that with more or less basic Processwire skills? In my imagination I have a field where I list the given access codes, another two to add start and ending date/time of the show, maybe one for a unique ID/title of the show.
      Is there an existing module for something like that? Should I get into the module development field and create that? How?? Haha. Any comments are welcome here.
      Thanks,
      Nuél

• By theoretic
      Hi guys and ladies! And thanks for Processwire!
      It appears i've got an interesting issue concerning the template-settings-based PW redirects dealing with access control. Any PW template has some access control options i.e. "Login redirect URL or page ID to render". If this option is used for a page having a template with this option filled, a redirect will occur if user is not logged in and/or has insufficient access rights.
      I like to hook PW events. In one of my current projects i decided to write an addHookBefore('Session::redirect', ...) which should store the page we are being redirected from. With "regular" redirects like $session->redirect('/somewhere/') this hook works like a charm. But it was strange to see that it doesn't work with the template-settings-based redirect.
      I'm too dumb to dive deep inside PW and to examine the whole PW session mechanism. But it could be rather logical if ANY redirect ( no matter template-settings-based or using $session->redirect() ) could be hooked in the same manner.
      Okay okay i can forget about template-settings-based redirect and write my own. Just a couple of lines of code, and it works. But it's less elegant than hooking the template-settings-based redirects.
      So am i missing something? It this behavior a bug, or is it intended by PW team? Thanks in advance for any comment!
    • By ngrmm
      My clients wants a modal to show up on every page. But when a user clicks inside the modal -> a session-cookie is set and the modal gets a class.
      // user clicks on modal button $('.modal_button').click(function(){ // 1. set PW session cookie // 2. toggle class $('.modal').toggleClass('off'); }); I know how to set a cookie on page-load via PW-API. But the click on the modal button does not force a page-load. So i have to set the cookie through javascript. Is there a way to do that?
    • By VeiJari
      Hello,
      I'm trying to create a page via api and populate values to it. I can populate everything except user pages to a page reference array.
      Code: 
      $dataUsers = $data->project->users; foreach($dataUsers as $dataUser) { $newProject->projectUsers->add(wire()->pages->find('template=user, id=' . $dataUser->id)); } I'm receiving my data via JSON.
      Is there something I'm missing?
      Thanks for help
    • By VeiJari
      Hi, this is the first we are trying to make a page that has only one type of user that has access to every page. 
      The other users should only have a given access to specific pages, not to the whole template.
      My structure
      -Field -Organisation -Project -Report I want that the "measurer" role only has access to "project x" and it's children, but no view access to every project, organisation or field. I've tried to do this with https://modules.processwire.com/modules/page-edit-per-user/ but it still needs a view access to the whole tree to see the "project x" page. Or is there something I haven't figured out?
      Maybe I have to make it via the API: a select field in the "organisation" template where the admins could add the users and then I use hook to update the privileges?
      Have you done something like this and how did you accomplish it?
      Any help would be appreciated.