Selectors can only be strings, newlines make selectors buggy

theoretic

Hi there! And thanks for Processwire!

It appears that i've found something interesting about PW selectors. They should only be strings! Here's an example of SQL-like syntax for selector:

$my_complex_selector = "
name='some name',
parameter=123,
other_parameter=[subparam>=subvalue]
";

Trying to use this selector lead to a very buggy PW behaviour. It appears that newlines are treated in a very special manner by PW selector engine, preventing the newlined selectors from working as expected.

I cannot imagine a situation when an unescaped newline could be a part of selector or selector value, so stripping newline symbols from selector could be a good idea for further PW development. And, currently, another good idea is to write complex selectors as PHP arrays:

$my_complex_selector = [
"name=$name",
"param1=$param1",
];

and to implode them into a single line before using find() and other functions which use selectors.

Sorry if i wrote something trivial, but having this post already present at support forum could save me a couple of hours. Hope mine will save that tame for someone else ?

@Zeka, thanks! The built-in selector array representation is good for relatively simple queries. But i couldn't find any example of correct select array syntax for cases like

my_repeater = [ my_repeater_field1=value1, my_repeater_field2>value2, my_repeater_field3%=value3 ]

I suppose that there's some array syntax for cases like this but i could'n find it.

8 minutes ago, theoretic said:

@Zeka, thanks! The built-in selector array representation is good for relatively simple queries. But i couldn't find any example of correct select array syntax for cases like

my_repeater = [ my_repeater_field1=value1, my_repeater_field2>value2, my_repeater_field3%=value3 ]

I suppose that there's some array syntax for cases like this but i could'n find it.

You might find what you need in this post: https://processwire.com/talk/topic/19024-selector-arrays-with-page-reference-fields-with-and-not-or/

• Like 2