EyeDentify

Confused about Markup Regions in PW? Read this!

I as have been a bit confused for some time about how the "Markup Regions" functionality in Processwire worked.
But i have know read a bit more and think that i am getting to grips with it. And Markup Regions is going to be huge.

To aid me in understanding Markup Regions better i started to read the Source code for the new "Regular" theme in conjunction with the Blog about the markup regions.
It helped me a great deal to understand the basics and more fine details of it.

A tip is to open both links and use the Source code of the "Regular" theme while reading the blog post.

The Source code:

https://github.com/processwire/processwire/blob/dev/site-regular/templates/_main.php

The Blog post:
https://processwire.com/blog/posts/processwire-3.0.62-and-more-on-markup-regions/

I hope this could help others starting out with markup regions.
Just take it slow and read it a couple a times and soon you will see the greatness of markup regions.

/EyeDentify 

• Like 2

I'm actually more confused about an apparently new (to me) way to use the API... I've never seen code writen like this before:

$home = pages()->get('/'); // instead of $home = $pages->get('/');

I see in the config file 

$config->useFunctionsAPI = true; 

Is that the reason? Do you happen to know when this was introduced or announced? Can it do certain stuff faster/better or different than the old-school PW API syntax?

25 minutes ago, dragan said:

my bad, of course searching before posting would have been more clever - I found it:

https://processwire.com/blog/posts/processwire-3.0.39-core-updates/#new-functions-api

No Worries. Indeed its a fairly new API.

You can also check it out in the source code at:
https://github.com/processwire/processwire/blob/master/wire/core/FunctionsAPI.php

For more details. Hope you find it useful.

Cheers.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By DooM
      Hello,
      I'm working on something like "structure generator" for my own needs which is run after clean installation of PW to create basic structure, fields, install modules, remove unnecessities, etc.
      I'm trying to remove site/templates/scripts and site/templates/styles folders, but I'm out of ideas already. When I try PHP's unlink function, it says that the path doesn't exists, which is obvious, because it will try to delete those folders under FileCompiler folder. This is probably because PW compilation process? I'm initializing this mine "structure generator" in ready.php.
      Do any of you guys have any idea how to get rid of those folders? My styles and scripts folders are separated, so I don't need those two inside templates folder.
      Thanks for every advice. 🙂
    • By MateThemes
      Hello everyone!
      I am trying to add my repeater matrix fields to the search selector, but unfortunately nothing seems to work for me.
      I have following search code in my search.php:
      <?php namespace ProcessWire; // look for a GET variable named 'q' and sanitize it $q = input()->get('q'); // sanitize to text, which removes markup, newlines, too long, etc. $q = sanitizer()->text($q); // did $q have anything in it after sanitizing to text? if($q) { // Make the search query appear in the top-right search box. // Always entity encode any user input that also gets output echo '<input id="search-query" value="' . sanitizer()->entities($q) . '">'; // Sanitize for placement within a selector string. This is important for any // values that you plan to bundle in a selector string like we are doing here. // It quotes them when necessary, and removes characters that might cause issues. $q = sanitizer()->selectorValue($q); // Search the title and body fields for our query text. // Limit the results to 50 pages. The has_parent!=2 excludes irrelevant admin // pages from the search, for when an admin user performs a search. $selector = "title|body~=$q, limit=50, has_parent!=2"; // Find pages that match the selector $matches = pages()->find($selector); } else { $matches = array(); } // unset the variable that we no longer need, since it can contain user input unset($q); ?> <main pw-replace='main'> <?php include('./includes/_pageheadersearch.php'); ?> <div id='content-body' class='uk-section uk-section-large uk-section-large'> <div class='uk-container uk-container-small'> <?php // did we find any matches? if(count($matches)) { // yes we did, render them echo ukAlert(sprintf(_n('Found %d page', 'Found %d pages', $matches->count), $matches->count), "default", "check"); echo ukDescriptionListPages($matches); } else { // we didn't find any echo ukAlert(__('Sorry, no results were found'), "danger", "warning"); } ?> </div> </div> </main> I have tried to add my fields to the selector code (repeater_matrix.aboutsblock_repeaters.mytextfield) . But I didn't get any results.
      What I am doing wrong?
      Thanks for your help!
    • By rushy
      Hello. I have recently adopted PW markup regions and really like this way of working. However, I am also trying to learn how to use Ajax and I am not sure of a good way to use the two together. Has anyone got any experience, tips or hints on using them together? For ajax -  I've used a simple scheme where I have a "webservice" template and page that handles Ajax requests and returns the appropriate content wrapped with some markup for the requesting page. I have markup regions enabled and all my pages (bar webservice) include a _main.php which brings in the headers, a default body and the footer. My javascript intercepts the page links and does my ajax call to webservice and that sends back the appropriate markup which is then placed by in the div #body defined in _main.php.  Does this seem a reasonable way to work? I guess I am looking for some advice before I invest too much time going the wrong way!
      Any guidance, remarks,  comments, or a nudge in the right direction greatly appreciated.
      Paul
    • By Moritz Both
      Greetings!
      For our PW project we use markup regions and, for one template, url segments. The documentation recommends throwing a new Wire404Exception() from the template when the code concludes that the url segments from the request are invalid, and so we do.
      However, the 404 page is not displayed properly. Viewing the page source in the browser we can see that the original, unmodified markup region contents from our _init.php file is prepended to the correct html output, messing the whole page up.
      Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    • By Robin S
      This module corrects a few things that I find awkward about the "Add New Template" workflow in the PW admin. I opened a wishlist topic a while back because it would good to resolve some of these things in the core, but this module is a stopgap for now.
      Originally I was going to share these as a few standalone hooks, but decided to bundle them together in a configurable module instead.
      Add Template Enhancements
      A module for ProcessWire CMS/CMF. Adds some efficiency enhancements when adding or cloning templates via admin.

Features
      Derive label from name when new template added: if you like to give each of your templates a label then this feature can save some time. The label can be added automatically when templates are added in admin, in admin/API, or not at all. There are options for underscore/hyphen replacement and capitalisation of the label. Edit template after add: when adding only a single template, the template is automatically opened for editing after it is added. Copy field contexts when cloning: this copies the field contexts (a.k.a. overrides such as column width, label and description) from the source template to the new template when using the "Duplicate/clone this template?" feature on the Advanced tab. Copy field contexts when duplicating fields: this copies the field contexts if you select the "Duplicate fields used by another template" option when adding a new template. Usage
      Install the Add Template Enhancements module.
      Configure the module settings according to what suits you.

https://github.com/Toutouwai/AddTemplateEnhancements
      https://modules.processwire.com/modules/add-template-enhancements/