Sign in to follow this  
louisstephens

Sending ajax data from multiple page to one template

So I have a project where multiple pages are sending POST data to 1 single template page.  All was working well (well, at least with one ajax post), but now I have hit a stumbling block. I figured  the "best" way to handle the request were to use url segments and then use the following in the status page:

if ($config->ajax && $input->urlSegment1 == 'add-bookmark') {
// some code here
}

However, this doesnt seem to really work (as I assume the the request isnt being posted to /status/ but rather to /status/add-bookmark/). What is the best way to actually handle this?

have you tried logging the POST request to both the URL and the URL with the Segment - it should be the same unless somehow URL segments are not activated on that template. The idea should work, I can't think of any reason why segments would not work on an ajax service page; if you keep hitting up against issues you could go for query parameters instead.

You may also need to check if there is a URL segment present, like if(strlen($input-urlSegment etc.. ; and make sure to also do the regular sanitization of the $input, as well as return 404 for unused segments...

• Like 2

Thanks Macrura for the help. To be honest, I am still wrapping my head around ajax, so I completely overlooked logging the POST requests etc. As it turns out, I had a "wonderful" typo in my code, and forgot the "()" on $page->save() that was causing the issue. 

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By karian
      I don't know why multiple instances (repeater_repeat_columns1, repeater_repeat_columns2, ...) of my repeater field are displayed inside Template field (see image).
      Is there a way to clean/reset it ?

• By psy
      I'm combining two PW sites into one, Site A into Site B.
      At each step, I did it bit by bit as the 'all at once' approach failed.

First, I exported all the fields from Site A and imported into Site B. Any field types not supported by import/export, eg FieldtypeOptions I manually recreated. All good.
      Next I exported all the templates from Site A and imported them into Site B and copied across their associated template files. All good.
      Finally I exported the pages I needed from Site A into Site B - again, bit by bit to ensure it all went smoothly.
      From the admin side, it all looked and worked perfectly.
      Front end was a totally different story. All existing pages in Site B worked as expected. NONE of the pages imported from Site A displayed. They all ended in a redirect loop with no errors in the PW logs or Tracy Debugger.
      After some trial-and-error, I finally got it working with:
      - create a new template in Site B admin with no associated template file and just a title field
      - import the fields from the imported Site A template into the newly created template (both on Site B)
      - copy the Site A php template file into a new file that matched the new PW Site B template name and save in Site B site/templates
      I can deal with the above workaround. Just curious to know if I did something wrong or if the template import/export feature is problematic?

### Solution:
      While the export/import was a slow process, turned out the front end redirecting issue was unrelated. For reasons unknown, all templates marked as HTTPS only were the ones redirecting, ie all templates from Site A. Finally solved it by changing the $config->https to true in site/config.php
      Now the pages display correctly as https whether the template forces the issue or not.

• By louisstephens
      I have a repeater with a text field where I would like to use hanna code (to make it easier on the user) so the user can define the action of a image that is in the repeater. For example:
      1. The image should have an external link:
      - the user can just type in the url
      2. The image, when clicked, should be printable (using print.js)
      - the user can just type [[print_image]]
      That works just fine, but I am running into an "issue". The code I need to use to print is:
      onclick="printJS({printable: 'path_to_image', type: 'image'});" I can put that into the hanna code as plain text, but I have no idea how to get the image from the repeater item and pass to "path_to_image". Is this even possible?
    • By louisstephens
      So I was going to build a todo tracking app for myself to test/broaden my knowledge of processwire, and so far it has been taxing 😓.  My Site structure is:
      - Project One - Phase One - Task - Task - Task - Phase Two - Task - Task - Task So far it was pretty easy, I can easily foreach through the Project and get the phases with their tasks. However, it gets a bit muddled when I have more than one project as I was trying to have a dashboard where the content switches out to the selected project as opposed to accessing each project via their own url. How would yall handle this?
      My next hurdle is each task has a select field (for project status) that I want to update via ajax (for the smooth transitioning).
      Scenario: You finish a task, change the option from "new" to "completed", and an onclick changes the status drop down background to green (which I have working), but then posts/saves a field on the backend to the new option.

I have a page called "Actions" set up with url segments using
      if ($config->ajax && $input->urlSegment1 == 'change-status') { //save update field on admin } However, I am a little fuzzy on how to actually pass the current page along with the new selected status to actually update the page (task). I guess I am not very far into my endeavor. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    • By Sten
      Hi,
      I have a lot of difficulties with getting a field value.
      First I created a template, inside I created several fields
      two fields are a dropdown select box So I have a value and a label for each line.
      Then I want to get the field value in _init.php or in the template to display it. How can I get the value of a field for the page ? I need to understand the flow through which data goes.
      Could someone help me ?
      Thank you