Sign in to follow this  
louisstephens

Sending ajax data from multiple page to one template

So I have a project where multiple pages are sending POST data to 1 single template page.  All was working well (well, at least with one ajax post), but now I have hit a stumbling block. I figured  the "best" way to handle the request were to use url segments and then use the following in the status page:

if ($config->ajax && $input->urlSegment1 == 'add-bookmark') {
// some code here
}

However, this doesnt seem to really work (as I assume the the request isnt being posted to /status/ but rather to /status/add-bookmark/). What is the best way to actually handle this?

have you tried logging the POST request to both the URL and the URL with the Segment - it should be the same unless somehow URL segments are not activated on that template. The idea should work, I can't think of any reason why segments would not work on an ajax service page; if you keep hitting up against issues you could go for query parameters instead.

You may also need to check if there is a URL segment present, like if(strlen($input-urlSegment etc.. ; and make sure to also do the regular sanitization of the $input, as well as return 404 for unused segments...

• Like 2

Thanks Macrura for the help. To be honest, I am still wrapping my head around ajax, so I completely overlooked logging the POST requests etc. As it turns out, I had a "wonderful" typo in my code, and forgot the "()" on $page->save() that was causing the issue. 

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By louisstephens
      So I was going to build a todo tracking app for myself to test/broaden my knowledge of processwire, and so far it has been taxing 😓.  My Site structure is:
      - Project One - Phase One - Task - Task - Task - Phase Two - Task - Task - Task So far it was pretty easy, I can easily foreach through the Project and get the phases with their tasks. However, it gets a bit muddled when I have more than one project as I was trying to have a dashboard where the content switches out to the selected project as opposed to accessing each project via their own url. How would yall handle this?
      My next hurdle is each task has a select field (for project status) that I want to update via ajax (for the smooth transitioning).
      Scenario: You finish a task, change the option from "new" to "completed", and an onclick changes the status drop down background to green (which I have working), but then posts/saves a field on the backend to the new option.

I have a page called "Actions" set up with url segments using
      if ($config->ajax && $input->urlSegment1 == 'change-status') { //save update field on admin } However, I am a little fuzzy on how to actually pass the current page along with the new selected status to actually update the page (task). I guess I am not very far into my endeavor. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    • By Sten
      Hi,
      I have a lot of difficulties with getting a field value.
      First I created a template, inside I created several fields
      two fields are a dropdown select box So I have a value and a label for each line.
      Then I want to get the field value in _init.php or in the template to display it. How can I get the value of a field for the page ? I need to understand the flow through which data goes.
      Could someone help me ?
      Thank you

• By louisstephens
      So this is more or less just a question regarding best practices, and how to actually achieve this. I have an internal tool I built awhile ago that has just gotten very "trashed". The naming conventions are all out of whack due to trying to get something completed, and pages are just everywhere. The fields got really out of hand as well, but I believe I have found a much cleaner field structure with the Repeater Matrix and a few other ProFields.  I decided recently to rewrite the template structure and the fields from scratch to keep everything nice and neat, but then it hit me that I would need to move all the previous data over and populate the new fields etc.
      The current tree looks something like:
      Group Title - Section A (template "section") - Category One (template "category") - Category Two (template "category") - Section B (template "section") - Category One (template "category") - Category Two (template "category") Etc etc... The structure is pretty good, and I am thinking of keeping it as it serves my purpose. However, I now have about 140 Sections with child pages that I would hopefully like to move to different templates, as well as changing the child templates/mapping data to the new fields. The only fields I need to worry about are a few textareas, text fields, options field,  as well as 1 image filed.
      I guess my real question is, what is the best way to go about this "migration" via the api while keeping the parent/child structure. It would be ok to leave it as is and chip away at it if I were the only one using it, but unfortunately that is not the case. 
      I guess one approach would be to copy over the entire structure and make the move to the new templates/fields. Once we have verified all the data/templates are correct, we could remove the old structure and possibly rename the new to mirror the old. However, this might just be too complicated.
    • By louisstephens
      Currently, I have a page set up listing all child pages using a foreach loop and outputting some information (thus far, it is all gravy). However, I ran into a slight problem. I have a "button" on each item being rendered that when clicked needs to send the page id to another page for processing via ajax. I thought I could just save the item id like :
      <?php $itemId = $item->id; ?> And then encoding it below in my javascript:
      var itemId = <?php echo json_encode($itemId); ?>; var data = { itemId: itemId, }; $.ajax({ type: "POST", url: "/intra/status/", data: data, success: function(){ console.log(itemId); } }); However, it is only posting the last page's id rendered by the foreach. Have I just overlooked something simple on this?