Forum Upgrade 10/09/17

Pete

I've just upgraded the forums due to an important security patch being released.

There was a bit of a dilemma in that the forum upgrade was guaranteed to break the theme that blended the forum software into the rest of the site design as it was a fairly major release that contained the fix. I chose to upgrade the forums anyway as the security issue was big enough to warrant a little discomfort in the short-term.

Please bear with me over the next 24 hours as I get things looking back to normal again.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 7

There's just a few weird things really - a border to get  rid of around all the content and the top of the screen not lining up too well. I'll get the most glaringly obvious ones sorted tonight.

Okay, I think the main offending items have been dealt with in terms of odd/broken layouts since the upgrade aside from one or two things like new fonts creeping in.

If you spot anything that I've missed that looks obviously broken, please post it here. It may be that some are new design choices by the forum software developers but please list them anyway and I'll look at each of them as soon as possible.

• Like 1

Hey Pete, thanks for doing the upgrade. I guess not much has changed from an appearance point-of-view. My only gripe is the reactions bar - I now I have to click Like twice, and the chances of me using other reactions is very slim (this isn't a social network, after all). Any chance it can be disabled? Unless anyone has any objections...

Also, this issue is still present (really long initial tag):

1505133981401screensave.jpeg.86881fb8785bdf99081c0368c85716ee.jpeg

Thanks!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, bernhard said:

for me it is only one click on the heart

For me too but I hate that fact that user names are no longer displayed initially. We need to lick and wait to see even the first users who have already reacted. Is it possible to get back the previous behavior?

I also vote for "like" only :P

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bernhard said:

for me it is only one click on the heart (also have to get used to that ^^)

Interesting... Still not for me. One click to open the reactions bar (unlike Facebook's hover) and then another click to Like (as in, select from the reactions bar).

3 hours ago, szabesz said:

For me too but I hate that fact that user names are no longer displayed initially. We need to lick and wait to see even the first users who have already reacted. Is it possible to get back the previous behavior?

They do appear to be shown initially for me.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Mike Rockett said:

Ah, I see. Doesn't do that for me. Well, it does the first time, but quickly disappears and then I have to click on it to open it.

It did happen to me a few times too, but after a while the like icon appeared and since then it stays like that. 

By the way, the new way of previewing post is rather misleading, at least most of the time, eg:

Here, I wanted to recommend @LostKobrakai's post which is about API variable access and was written as a side note, not as the actual reply to the topic.

Including – even worse highlighting! – the topic makes the false impression that my intention was to link to the topic "Custom PHP code selector" but it is not the case. And this situation will not be rare.

This new feature will not be helpful in a lot of cases, rather it will add confusion :( 

Edited by szabesz
typo
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I just noticed that it’s not possible to turn off email notifications for private messages. The tooltip for the relevant toggle-switch says that an administrator has disabled it. @Pete, would you mind re-enabling it? I sign into the forums every day, and so an email notification of a private message is practically redundant.

• Like 1