DropboxAPI

psy

ProcessWire DropboxAPI on GitHub: https://github.com/clipmagic/DropboxAPI

This module is a wrapper for Kunal Varma's Dropbox PHP SDK https://github.com/kunalvarma05/dropbox-php-sdk

It was created to perform a specific function for a client, ie upload PDF files on a PW website to a specific Dropbox account folder.

The PDF files, created using @Wanze's excellent PagesToPdf module using the WirePDF functions, are generated from Formbuilder forms completed by front-end site visitors.  Works a treat!

There's more that could be done to allow ProcessWire to take advantage of all the features of the SDK, eg downloads, multiple Dropbox accounts, etc. You are welcome to request changes and/or fork the GitHub project to extend the feature set.

Enjoy!

System requirements

• PHP 5.6.4 or greater
  • Composer
  • The PHP mbstring extension

General information

This module enables you to access a single Dropbox (www.dropbox.com) account to upload files from a ProcessWire website.

All kudos to (https://github.com/kunalvarma05/dropbox-php-sdk) for the PHP API.

First steps

• Visit (https://www.dropbox.com/developers) and read the documentation.
  • Log into Dropbox and create a new application. It's recommended to limit ProcessWire App access to a specified folder
  • Make a note of the App key, the App secret and the name of the Dropbox folder

Installation

• Download the zip file into your site/modules folder then expand the zip file.
  • Next, login to ProcessWire > go to Modules > click "Refresh". You should see a note that a new module was found. Install the DropboxAPI module.
  • Configure the module with your App key, App secret and your Call Back URL

You need to generate a Dropbox access token to enable your site to communicate with the nominated Dropbox account. Dropbox will generate a token for you or you can create a page for the front end of your ProcessWire site with a template to submit the token request to Dropbox, eg:

<?php namespace ProcessWire;

$drop = $modules->get('DropboxAPI');

if ($input->get->code && $input->get->state) {
        $code = $sanitizer->text($input->get->code);
        $state = $sanitizer->text($input->get->state);

//Fetch the AccessToken
        $accessToken = $drop->getAccessToken($code, $state);

echo "Copy/paste this code into the module configuration: " .  $accessToken;

} else {
        echo  "<p><a href='" . $drop->getAuthURL() . "'>Log in with Dropbox</a></p>";
    }
    ?>

Once you have entered the token in the module configuration, you can unpublish this page.

Usage

Read the dropbox-php-sdk documentation!

An example template for sending a file to a Dropbox App folder from ProcessWire:

use Kunnu\Dropbox\Dropbox;
    use Kunnu\Dropbox\DropboxApp;
    use Kunnu\Dropbox\DropboxFile;

// send pdf to Dropbox
    $app = new DropboxApp($drop->app_key, $drop->app_secret, $drop->authorization_code);
    if ($app) {
        //Configure Dropbox service
        $dropbox = new Dropbox($app);
        $dropboxFile = new DropboxFile('/path/to/myfilename.pdf');
        $file = $dropbox->upload($dropboxFile, "/myfilename.pdf", ['autorename' => true]);
        //Uploaded File meta data
        if ($file) {
            $success = $file->getName() . " uploaded to Dropbox";
            $drop->log($success);
        }
    }

• Like 13

Thanks for sharing this module, @psy! Will definitely give this a try soon.

Just one observation at this point: only Process modules should have the Process prefix in their name, and since this isn't a Process module (i.e. it doesn't extend Process), I'd suggest considering another name for clarity. Perhaps just dropping the Process prefix? :)

• Like 3

@teppo

Thanks for the tip. Was a bit confused about naming conventions. The module doesn't render anything so not Markup, and to me, it was a 'process', although granted, not a PW process. 

Done. Let me know if there are any problems relating to the name change.

• Like 3

At this point my best suggestions would be DropboxAPI, just plain Dropbox, or perhaps DropboxUpload... though that last one only if you are sure that you'll never add anything other than upload support for it :)

3 minutes ago, teppo said:

At this point my best suggestions would be DropboxAPI, just plain Dropbox, or perhaps DropboxUpload... though that last one only if you are sure that you'll never add anything other than upload support for it :)

Changed it to DropboxAPI :)

• Like 2

Tip:

By default the Dropbox App is in Development mode and allows only one user - you. When you apply for a token you may get a Dropbox notification saying you need more users. Simply go back into your Dropbox App configuration and click on the button to the right of this setting. You'll automatically be granted 500 development users.

Should you need more than 500 users, you'll need to apply to Dropbox for Production status for your App and totally outside the scope of this ProcessWire Dropbox API module.

• Like 3

Hi!

Great module. Two requests:

• Could the token step be incorperated into the admin settings or a required Process module?
  • I've been thinking for ages to whether it was possible to view the contents of a folder from dropbox on your site and create public links to files - use case: upload your resources to this folder in dropbox and they'll automatically appear on the site?

Thanks!

• Like 1

@benbyf

Thanks Ben

• The token request could be on the admin side BUT the Dropbox call back URL must be a publicly viewable page to receive the token. I chose to put both the request and response on the same page and then unpublish the page once I'd received the token.
  • According to the documentation, https://github.com/kunalvarma05/dropbox-php-sdk/wiki/Working-with-files the answer is yes. The PW module really does little more than authenticate the user and allow you to create the $dropbox object (as in example above for sending a file). Add all the appropriate "use" namespace statements in your template and you'll have full access to the API, including the ability to List Folder Contents
  • Like 3

@benbyf 

On 14/08/2017 at 0:43 AM, benbyf said:

I've been thinking for ages to whether it was possible to view the contents of a folder from dropbox on your site and create public links to files - use case: upload your resources to this folder in dropbox and they'll automatically appear on the site?

Tested and confirmed you can do this. Simple example (no paging although that's possible too):

//Configure Dropbox Application
$app = new DropboxApp($drop->app_key, $drop->app_secret, $drop->authorization_code);
$listFolderContents = $dropbox->listFolder(""); //root folder is the folder you nominated in the Dropbox App config. Refer doco
$items = $listFolderContents->getItems();
?>
<ul>
    <?php foreach ($items as $item) : ?>
       <li><?=$item->getName()?></li>
    <?php endforeach; ?>
</ul>

As for download links, you could use the Dropbox Chooser https://www.dropbox.com/developers/chooser#javascript or create your own with javascript.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi sorry not big PHP dev (mainly front end) and none of the module makes sense to me (lots of namespaces). getting errors like this: Class 'Kunnu\Dropbox\DropboxApp' not found in /srv/users/serverpilot/apps/fabricacapital/public/site/templates/dropbox.php:8 on the public pages implementing either of teh code demos above. Any help would be ace!

Also I mamanged to get a app code directly in the dropbox developer portal, so no need for the token generating step above.

Hi @benbyf

Yeah, the namespace stuff did my head in too! Adding them at the top of the page template under <?php namespace ProcessWire; was the only way I could get it to work. Once they're there, and the PW module is loaded, it's a matter of following the dropbox-api-sdk documentation to the letter.

Ooops! Just realised the GitHub version of the module has an error. Will upload fix.

Did you do the upgrade to DropboxAPI.module ? The original version in GitHub looked for the wrong path to the autoload.php of the SDK files. This is what it should be:

require_once dirname(__FILE__) . '/dropbox-php-sdk/vendor/autoload.php';

From what I can gather from the error you mentioned, the SDK files aren't being loaded. The updated code should fix that.

10 minutes ago, abdus said:

@benbyf are you using composer? Or manually downloading the packages?

vendor directory and autoload.php is created when you require a package with composer. 

Good point, not needed to use composer with Processwire yet, so didnt reach for it this time. I'm guess thats the problem then? Also no mention in teh installation notes either but might because i dont know what to look for maybe?

Am i right in saying using composer also makes a module incompatible with the PW admin module installer?

Just in case its useful for anyone, this is my function for creating a folder list with public links to files:

//Configure Dropbox Application

// get folder from user
$folder_path = "";
$folder_path = $user->folder;

// get items from dropbox folder
$listFolderContents = $dropbox->listFolder($folder_path); //root folder is the folder you nominated in the Dropbox App config. Refer doco
$items = $listFolderContents->getItems();

function listItems($items, $dropbox, $depth = 0){

$out = "<ul class='depth-{$depth}'>";

foreach ($items as $item){

// get file name
        $name = $item->getName();

// getPathLower
        $path = $item->getpathLower();
        $thumbPath = "no thumb";
        $thumbHasExt = strpos($path, '.');

// file
        if($thumbHasExt && $path){

$file = $dropbox->getTemporaryLink($path);
            $link = $file->getLink();
            $ext = substr($path, $thumbHasExt+1);
			// fontawesome file name icons
            $icon = "fa-file-o";
            switch ($ext) {
                case 'png':
                case 'jpg':
                case 'gif':
                case 'psd':
                case 'tiff':
                    $icon = 'fa-file-image-o';
                    break;
                case 'pdf':
                    $icon = 'fa-file-pdf-o';
                    break;
                case 'mp3':
                case 'wav':
                    $icon = 'fa-file-audio-o';
                    break;
                case 'mov':
                case 'mp4':
                case 'm4a':
                    $icon = 'fa-file-video-o';
                    break;
                case 'doc':
                case 'docx':
                    $icon = 'fa-file-word-o';
                    break;
                case 'xls':
                case 'xlsx':
                    $icon = 'fa-file-excel-o';
                    break;
                case 'ppt':
                case 'pptx':
                    $icon = 'fa-file-powerpoint-o';
                    break;
                case 'zip':
                case 'rar':
                    $icon = 'fa-file-archive-o';
                    break;
            }

$out .= "<li><span class='{$icon} fa'></span><a title='click to download' href='{$link}'>{$name} {$ext}</a></li>";

// folder
        }else{
            ++$depth;

$out .= "<li><span class='fa-folder-open-o fa'></span>{$name}";

$listSubFolderContents = $dropbox->listFolder($path);
            $items = $listSubFolderContents->getItems();

// get list of files in subfolder
            $out .= listItems($items, $dropbox, $depth);

$out .= "</li>";
        }
    }
    $out .= "</ul>";