AutoUpdate

Nico Knoll

Today I finally had time to add my modules to the directory. And while I did it I found a module I never published in his foru only in the webchat and on github: AutoUpgrade.

(Click here to see it in the modules section)

------------------------

AutoUpdate

This module will notify you if a newer version of ProcessWire is available and give's you a link which will redirect you to a "upgrade" page where you just have to press the "Upgrade" button to upgrade your system.

screenshot1.png

WARNING: It's in alpha mode. So you can use it to try it but you shouldn't use it in a bigger project or similar.

INSTALLATION

This module's files should be placed in /site/modules/AutoUpgrade/. It's really important that it is in a separate folder!

--------------------

I would love to get some feedback on this and if it's working for you or if it breaks.

/ Nico

• Like 2

Okay, feature request before even testing the module ;) (which I will do locally): this should be configurable. In a production environment, one might not want to be notified of any small change in GitHub. It's perfectly valid to only want to do the major version upgrades, I guess.

Yay, success! I just installed this in a not-up-to-date installation, it did report an available update and the update to 2.2.3 did work. So the basic functionality seems to be working just fine. :)

However, I think there's room for improvement in terms of usability in addition to the GitHub/major release setting.

It would be great if this could display a changelog so people could see what actually changed in new versions. I have yet to experience a PW update which was mandatory, so it would be great if there was some kind of way to check out whether an upgrade is actually necessary. Not sure how to implement this, but I can not help with that anyway. ;)

Also, after successfully performing an upgrade, the AutoUpgrade page still says "Click on 'Upgrade' to start the upgrade. etc." That's pointless. If there's no newer version, the page should just say "No upgrade available." or something.

Another configuration detail: it would be great if it could be configured to display or not display the upgrade notifier on every page. This can get quite annoying. :)

Still, a very handy module!

• Like 1

Another configuration detail: it would be great if it could be configured to display or not display the upgrade notifier on every page. This can get quite annoying. :)

What about to make an option to show it only after successful login along with other warnings?