PW Installation Questions

Gazley

Hi,

I've started to install PW and I am seeing the following messages:

As to error 1, should these be writable for the Apache user, IOW, www-data ?

Same question again for error 2

1. Error: Directory ./site/assets/ must be writable. Please adjust the permissions before continuing.
  2. Error: File ./site/config.php must be writable. Please adjust the permissions before continuing.

Many thanks,

--Gary

This is not necessary a question which can be answered with one sentence. It depends on the setup of you web server/web host. My web host, i.e. is set up to run using suExec, which means all script languages run with my user's permissions. You might or might not have a similar setup.

That being said, as a rule of thumb (in most setups) both should be writeable for the web server user.

hello forum,

i've just installed pw in a shared hosting environment and was prompted the same errors. i've set chowner for /site recursively to www-data in order to proceed with the installer. after that i've changed chowner for /site/config.php back to my ftp-user and set chmod to 0644.

however, i'm still concerned about www-data being the owner of the whole /site directory.

my question: would it be sufficient to give pw write permission only for /site/assets/? or does pw needs write permission for /site and all it's subdirectories?

unfortunately in my hosting environment changing chowner is the only way to give a php-script, that has been created by an installer, write permission.

thanks for your time.