PHP for beginners, free on Laracasts.com

Sergio

Jeffrey Way, from the excellent Laracasts.com, just published a free series for PHP beginners: 

https://laracasts.com/series/php-for-beginners

From the website:

We all start somewhere. When it comes to web development with PHP, well, your first stop is this series. Designed specifically and exclusively for beginners, here, you'll learn the fundamentals of PHP - all the way down to defining variables and arrays.

If you feel somewhat unprepared for the content at Laracasts, this "PHP for beginners" series should be your next stop. New lessons are published every Thursday, so don't fall behind!

Jeffrey is a great teacher so if you are learning PHP, no better place you'll find. :)

• Like 7

Jeffrey is the man! He is doing something free for laracasts now, but his paid PHP Fundamentials are already a classic! If you can not buy the subscription - steal it from some pirate torrent or something O0!

P.S. Just kidding. You should not steal or attemp to get something for free which is not. It's wrong. Support the thing that you like instead! And go to pirate torrents only if you absolutely need something and have no chance to get some money to pay for it. And it is still no excuse though.

P.P.S. Hope this little ad is some kind of excuse...

Thanks for posting this Sergio but learning php for beginners is abundantly available on the net. Processwire api learning for beginners is more looked for than php. Even more if you consider how the processwire api possibilities have grown since processwire 3.0.x I have seen posts where coders show the amazing possibilities of the api but they are all spread over the forum. Some api beginners course with things like the use of page table, filling a variable with a webpage with .=, etc. etc.

@pwired This topic was moved to the dev section for exactly the reason of those tutorials not being about processwire. Also the thing is, as long as you don't understand php those fancy processwire snippets will always be a black box of magic and you won't be able to use them much more than for the exact use-case it was created for. Whereas with getting better at php you also start to see where those nice pw api abilities come from and how to use them on your own. It's not that black and white with learning things. 

• Like 6

Hi Lostkobrakai,

. . . those tutorials not being about processwire.

I was clearly referring to api tutorials and not php so now you are actually saying that processwire api tutorials are not being about processwire ?  Anyway I dont see how your reply is going to be any helpful to make processwire more available for beginners. I havent seen you around here in the forum since the days of processwire 2.4 when a lot of beginners where entering the forum. So you might not have noticed the drastic decline of beginners entering the forum after around processwire 2.7. Fortunately there are still attempts being made to make processwire more available for beginners. For example we have been successful to make processwire more available for beginners without confronting them with less, sass and node js. Simply by making pre-compiled bootstrap and foundation templates available:

I am sure we are also going to find likewise successful ways to make the api more available for beginners.

@pwired, I'm having trouble to understand all of your interventions in this thread. How did a simple post about a PHP tutorial suddenly became another of those "making PW easier for beginners" discussions?

Hi Diogo,

See my first post. But if you think that PHP for beginners and making Processwire available for a wider audience (what I had in mind) are not related I am sorry for that and feel free to move them elsewhere. Yes I agree sometimes things are overlapping each other. It would be therefore good to make a distinction between Processwire for beginners, PHP for beginners and making Processwire available for a wider audience. Since the latter is both a returning topic and not the least important for Processwire, (reaching more people and increasing beginners) maybe opening a channel for this in the forum would be an idea ?