Render HTML in field descriptions?

alan

Would it be easy to allow HTML into field descriptions to be rendered? Right now a link tag for example is sanitized down to it's component characters.

Why would I want to do this? I think I can see times when I might want to educate the content editor on what they should type in a field, such as a field used to populate meta description, and the ability to include a link to a help article would be cool.

No I don't think so but thanks for the suggestion — the place I'm looking to have HTML rendered is

Admin > Setup > Fields > Edit field: whateverField

and then the

Description text

so that when the field is saved and it's description (not its input field) is viewed in a template, the Description text can include rendered HTML such as a link.

alan, you can use markdown or textile syntax in description fields. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Markdown

This was mentioned here: http://processwire.c...__fromsearch__1

Markdown is a module in PW by default (textformatter), textile version is also existent.

you can, using markdown, simply do this to make links in field description :

[linktext](someurl)

O0

corrected some

• Like 3

Steve, that's not it. This is only for text field output.

This is about the field description text, that's shown in the fieldset of the field when editing.

Alan, I don't know really, I think Ryan knows better. I was also looking if there's a "field" setting that you could chose which textformatter, but no luck.

Thanks @Steve and @Soma. OK, I understand, markdown is 'hard-coded' in as a supported way to add links and that is AOK by me.

I was really only looking for the ability to add links rather than other markup and although I know Textile and not markdown, learning the syntax for links in markdown is something even I can do ;)

• 10 months later...

I've noticed that when adding a markdown style of link in notes or description by default a target="_blank" is added. Is there any way to circumvent adding the target="_blank" tag?

For now I've added some jQuery to remove the attribute, but it would be nice to have an option whether to use target="_blank" or not.

$(function(){
        $(".Inputfield_yourname .notes a").removeAttr("target");
});

• 2 years later...