Process Tools Create Pages (WIP)

Soma

(Note: Module name temporary and will change)

As recently mentioned here I am recently working on a little module. This module gives you a new admin page under "Setup" to create pages in a "batch" mode.

What does it do

- You can select a parent page where you want to create your pages. Then it will give you a list of templates you can chose from. Those should be permission and template setting aware. Also only parents that really can have children will work, else it will give an alert.

- Add as many pages you like by clicking "+add Page". You can set the pages published or hidden status. Sort or remove the pages.

- After you entered a template and at least a title you'll be able to klick "create Pages". If successful it will append the list of pages you just created with an open in page tree or edit link, and also the parent.

- You can add pages and repeat the process to add pages to the pages you created simply by changing the parent page in the field above the table and go on. It's all ajax and not page load. Also the links of the created pages that get appended below will stay in the document and only the form entries get cleared.

This is still work in progress, but I thought enough to share and if you like you can try/test/use it.

Download: ProcessTools.zip

Screen:

post-100-0-21074300-1352854373_thumb.png

• Like 15

Great module Soma! Tested it out and worked nicely.

Only thing I'm wondering about is the name: ProcessTools? How about something that better describes what it does, like ProcessPageAdder or ProcessBatchPages or something like that?

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses guys!

Will the module allow to remove bunch of pages with one click after marking them (with checkboxes for example)?

No, this is a create pages tool and not remove pages. This would be another mini app maybe. :)

Thanks Soma, batch editing is definitely a useful feature to have on board. I wonder whether it may expand one day to offer like a Quick Edit in WP though to be fair it's already very useful as it is!

Thanks, the outcome of this is still pretty unclear as it was primarely a little trying out knockout.js and turned into this. What do you mean with quick edit in WP? I don't know it, but a extra link beneath the created pages that open the page in fancybox would be easy. I also prefer to CMD+click on edit link to open page in new tab for quick editing.

Great module Soma! Tested it out and worked nicely.

Only thing I'm wondering about is the name: ProcessTools? How about something that better describes what it does, like ProcessPageAdder or ProcessBatchPages or something like that?

Thanks Ryan. Yeah it was a little adventure and I wasn't really taking care of the name much. Definately will change to something else.

Since ProcessTools gave me a broader scope of what I could do and had some idea to make this a page with a set of 1-3 tools for different tasks who knows. Might aswell just let it as is and add 1-2 features to this. I also had the idea to add yet another action button on the page list tree that opens something like this tool in an overlay. Might be even better, but can't get myself around adding another button...

Thanks for the responses guys!

No, this is a create pages tool and not remove pages. This would be another mini app maybe. :)

Thanks, the outcome of this is still pretty unclear as it was primarely a little trying out knockout.js and turned into this. What do you mean with quick edit in WP? I don't know it, but a extra link beneath the created pages that open the page in fancybox would be easy. I also prefer to CMD+click on edit link to open page in new tab for quick editing.

Thanks Ryan. Yeah it was a little adventure and I wasn't really taking care of the name much. Definately will change to something else.

Since ProcessTools gave me a broader scope of what I could do and had some idea to make this a page with a set of 1-3 tools for different tasks who knows. Might aswell just let it as is and add 1-2 features to this. I also had the idea to add yet another action button on the page list tree that opens something like this tool in an overlay. Might be even better, but can't get myself around adding another button...

Yeah, essentially a dropdown where you could make some (basic) changes without actually having to open up the page. That and any batch processes, it's all going to help speed up developing in the back end. Just idea though, it's already a great addition :)

• Like 1

Since ProcessTools gave me a broader scope of what I could do and had some idea to make this a page with a set of 1-3 tools for different tasks who knows.

I was actually thinking of adding a "Tools" menu to ProcessWire admin (in addition to Pages, Setup, Modules, Access). The reason for it is that we've now got a lot of tools that don't necessarily fit the definition of "Setup", so thought it might be handy to come bundled with another place like that. PW1 had such a Tools menu like this.

• Like 4

Ryan, ProcessWire1 seemed to have many great features 2 is still missing :P

Based on the insane development speed of ProcessWire 2, I assume "version 2" is just Ryan teasing us and releasing the ProcessWire 1 in small pieces for wider audience :) "Oh, they want form builder? I have build it nine years ago..."

• Like 2

I like the idea of tools, one small frustration is having to occasionally go through two menus to get one thing done. Eg: Setup->fields, Setup->templates but it's no biggie but I guess a drop down may be a solution.

I also like the idea of "Save & New", "Save & Return" buttons etc when creating new pages, templates and fields.

Anything that can help with the natural flow in the backend.

It's no biggie though :)

Ryan, ProcessWire1 seemed to have many great features 2 is still missing

I wouldn't call a page named "Tools" a feature. :)

PW1 may have had some features that aren't yet in PW2, but PW2 is overall a superior system. PW1 existed for a longer period of time so naturally grew in feature set over time. The same will be the case with PW2, and it won't be long till we blow way past the feature set in PW1.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...