Page Field Edit Links

Page Field Edit Links

This module is based on--and is the successor to--Macrura's AdminPageSelectEditLinks (https://processwire.com/talk/topic/8477-adminpageselecteditlinks-module-for-enabling-edit-links-on-multipage-selects/)

Page Field Edit Links adds modal editing capability to ProcessWire's Page fields in the admin editor, allowing editors to easily view and edit the content of any page(s) that have been selected, as well as create new pages without leaving the current screen. Edit links are updated in real time when new pages are added to the field. Compatible with all available types of Inputfields including Select, SelectMultiple, Checkboxes, Radios, AsmSelect, PageListSelect, PageListSelectMultiple, and PageAutocomplete.

post-449-0-43262100-1431099269_thumb.png

• Like 22

Hi BernhardB - The "Show edit links?" option should appear at the bottom of the "Input" tab in the global settings for the field. I'm a bit confused when you say "page body field" since the body field would be typically associated with a textarea and not a Page field.

Let me know if you are still having issues and I will look further into it.

• Like 1

want to say many thanks to @thetuningspoon for putting this together, and doing all the work of submitting to the directory. It's surely a useful module (use it almost every site), and we hope that all y'all will like it..

• Like 4

There is a small glitch with the version number that leads to a version mismatch in ModuleManager, which interprets it as 0.0.2 and 2.0 and permanently wants me to update. I am not a module coder but I think that 

'version' => 200, 

would fix this.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I've a minor suggestion. It would be nice to make the link not wrap between the icon and the text. 

so you mean put the

<i class='fa fa-edit'></i>

before/outside of the anchor element?

@thetuningspoon: thanks for module! very appreciated thing!

However current limitations don't give me a change to use it in production.

Do you plan to fix specifically this: "When using PageListSelect, PageListSelectMultiple, and PageAutoComplete, if there is more than one page field on a given edit page and at least one of them has the edit link feature enabled, all of the Page fields using those inputs will show the edit links."?

Also, I'd kindly ask to leave opportunity to edit locked visibility Page fields as "locked" here means that field cannot be changed, not content of its page. 

Hi valan,

Have you tested the module yet to see if it will work for your needs? I'm not sure I fully understand your question, but it sounds like you want to be able to set the visibility property of a particular page field to "Open when populated and not editable (locked)" but still have the edit link show? Is that correct?

The issue with this and with the other limitation you asked about is the fact that PW doesn't always provide the necessary CSS/JS hooks to be as granular as I would like (strangely, it does for some of the inputfields but not others). Ryan may have fixed this in 2.6, but I haven't had a chance to look at it again. I would like to fix this at some point, if possible!

• Like 1

@thetuningspoon: yes, I've tested module. Limitations stop broad usage of such needed module in production env. May I suggest you to request Ryan needed hooks? I guess Ryan should be aware/agree and put it in "todo" list first. I'm sure all PW devs will support prioritization.) Thanks!

• 1 month later...

hi,

this feature would fit perfectly in a project i'm developing right now on 2.6.13 with a autocomplete pagefield. unfortunately it does not work with the new condensed format of single page selects! https://processwire.com/blog/posts/new-ajax-driven-inputs-conditional-hooks-template-family-settings-and-more/#improvements-to-the-page-autocomplete-input

on multiple selects it works as expected and it's really helpful!!

thanks for the module and i hope there's an easy fix for that :)

edit: what do you think about a link to a modal to ADD a new page to a defined parent. i know one can define "allow adding of pages" but i think there are situations where that is not really user friendly or even not possible because you have some required fields that you can't populate in one line of a pagefield. at least in my scenario (invoicing app) it would be great to have the possibility to create a new invoice, select the receipient and if it's a new client have the possibility to click on "create new" and it opens a modal where you can fill in all the necessary data.

in this scenario it would just need an additional field for storing the parent of the newly created pages. but maybe a more flexible solution would be to define the parent dynamically (like "return $page->siblings('title=clients');" or the like)

what do you think? dreaming of something like "page field enhanced" :D;)

• Like 1

Hi BernhardB,

I'm aware of the issue and actually have an update to support the single page autocompletes which I'm already using on one of my projects, but haven't gotten around to merging it with the Github project yet.

Believe it or not, I've also been experimenting with adding an "add new" link just like you suggested here. The biggest problem I'm having with this is figuring out how to automatically populate the field with this new page once it's published. I'll have to study how Ryan does this when creating a new field in the template editor.

• Like 1

sounds good :)

Believe it or not, I've also been experimenting with adding an "add new" link just like you suggested here. The biggest problem I'm having with this is figuring out how to automatically populate the field with this new page once it's published. I'll have to study how Ryan does this when creating a new field in the template editor.

i've not even thought about updating the pagefield automatically when one has added a new item, but that would definitely make sense. good luck with ryans code ;)

Ok, updates!

• Regular asm inputfields now work dynamically without the need for a page save
  • Compatible with the new singular autocomplete fields
  • Links are now fully configurable on a field-by-field basis
  • Implemented preliminary "Add New" functionality to enable adding pages via modal window right from the field
  • Changed "Edit" link labels to "View" (just my preference... but maybe this could be made configurable down the road)
  • Code cleanup and optimization

Note that after you upgrade you may have to re-set your page fields (just the edit link checkbox, not the whole field).

post-449-0-59535900-1439865375_thumb.png

post-449-0-08167000-1439865392_thumb.png

• Like 6