bcartier

Change default language for homepage

you can do it after the install, if you have installed a single language site profile.

Most of us have created their personal starter site profile, I think. It has all settings for default language (inkl.language pack), and the modules, one never can miss, etc.

To export a site profile is easy with the site profile exporter module.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, horst said:

Most of us have created their personal starter site profile, I think.

Thank you for the directions.  Exactly what I needed.

I just re-installed the multi language option.  Renamed the default language English (en) to Dutch (nl).  Installed a dutch language pack over the old English one.  Deleted the German and Finnish pre-installation and I installed French as the second language.  Before I forget: I changed the page names on the homepage too (in the settings tab).
Except for some minor translations issues that can be fixed, there is no sign of English anymore.

• Like 2

On 13/03/2015 at 9:29 AM, horst said:

A bit OT, but if you can plan the languages hirarchy right from the start of a new site, you can do it this way:

• enable languages support

• set Title / Label of the default language to your desired none english native language, (e.g. 'Deutsch' (German))

• drop in the none english language pack (for admin backend) into the default language, (e.g. german langpack)

• add a new language to it and drop in a language pack for any none english language or simply don't drop in a language pack to get the english version (but not as the default one!)

As a nice sideeffect every new user in your system gets the native language per default without have it to select from the list.

So, yes, this is no solution if you once have set it up and need to switch the default language afterwards, but just want to note it.

Thanks horst. Couldn't work out how to do this, and was early enough in the process to re-start.

• Like 1

Hi. It is middle of 2019 and I wonder if there any new solutions to change default language in PW? I use v.3.0.123 and tried the module from above with no luck.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By snobjorn
      Here's my Norwegian language pack for ProcessWire. I've been adding translations over some time, to suit my own projects users needs.
      Last updated:
      2020/06/29 (June 29, 2020)
      Not yet complete. Translations that non-superusers will see is prioritized.
      Name:
      ProcessWire-Norwegian-Language-Pack-nb-NO
      Translated using:
      ProcessWire 3.0.161 dev
      Number of files:
      202 wire files and 97 site files – ranging from just started to completely translated. The site files includes translation some free and some pro modules, see the complete list in the README.md at GitHub.
      Available at GitHub:
      https://github.com/snobjorn/processwire-norwegian-language-pack-nb-no
    • By Sten
      Hello
      Till now I hacked something with the twig template but it works no more with new PW versions so I look forward to create a module. I am working on a site in multiple languages : French, English, Italian, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Hebrew, Russian. The new posts are entered in any language with a field for language. Till now, I got twig files to get the translations with constants defined for each part of the pages.
      So I'd like to create a module to include theses files added according to the url /fr/en/...
      Have you some observations to do before I begin about the direction to take ?
      Thank you
    • By ICF Church
      Hi 👋
      Anyone else having this problem?
      Requirements:
      - Repeater (matrix & normal) with mutlilanguage fields (text, textarea…) 
      - Backend language set to something other than default (ie. German) 
      Reproduce:
      - Add a new repeater Item (ajax, I found no way to possible to disable it with matrix)

(Notice how the default language tab is active instead of the backend language…)
      - Write something into the (default language) field
      - Try to save, if field is required, this will not work. If not required, then when reloading, the content will be inside the backend language field, instead of the default language field who was (presumably) active
      Analysis:
      When  loading  a new repeater element with ajax, the default langue tab is active, but the backend language inputfield is visible (with no visual indication). When writing into the field, it will populate the backend language. When manually clicking on the default language tab (which is already active), the field will switch to the actual default language field (which is [now] empty) (that can now be populated…)
      Also Notice, the labels of the elements to be added are in default language as well instead of the translated label (images instead of Bilder)…
      ProcessWire 3.0.148, Profields 0.0.5…
      Is it my system configuration, or does anyone else have the same issue? This is a screen recording of the problem:
      Issue: https://github.com/processwire/processwire-issues/issues/1179

Screen Recording 2020-02-25 at 14.18.31.mov
    • By horst
      Change Default Language to be None-English | Walk Trough
      When you start a new (single) language site and the default language shouldn't be English, you can change it this way:
      Go to the modules core section:

Select the Language ones by the filter function:

We have four language related modules here, but for a single language site in none english,
      we only need the base module, named "Languages Support". So go on and install it.

After that, you can leave it, ... 

... and switch to the newly created Language section under SETUP:

Select the default language

Enter your new language name or its Shortcut and save the page.
      I will use DE for a single language site in german here as example:

Now I go to the ProcessWire online modules directory, down to the subsection for language packs and select
      and download my desired (german) one: 

After downloading a lang pack as ZIP, I go back into my SETUP > LANGUAGES > default language page in admin,
      select the downloaded lang pack ZIP and install it:

After the ZIP is uploaded, the files are extracted and installed, most of my screen is already in
      the new default language. To get all fully switched, we save and leave that page, ...

... and completely logout from the admin.

Now, of course, we directly login back, ...

... and see, that now also the cached parts of the admin have switched to the new default language. 🙂

That was it for a single language site in none english.

If you want to have a multi language site, just add more languages to the SETUP > LANGUAGES section.
      When using a multi language site, I think you also want to use multi language input fields, and maybe different page names for your language page pendents. If so, you need to go into MODULES > CORE > filter LANGUAGE and install what you need or want to use of it, (if not already done).
      Thanks for reading and happy coding, 🙂