bluemagicon

Upload doesn't work

Hi together!

After installation i tried to install a language pack, but after dragging the file into the field i got an error with the following message:

"Error writing to /tmp. Please define $config->uploadTmpDir and ensure it is writable."

I tried to edit the config.php in the dir site and add the following line:

$config->uploadTmpDir = dirname(__FILE__) . '/tmp';

But that is also not a solution. Does anybody know a solution for this problem? I have the problem with every kind of uploading a file.

I am happy about every answer.

Regards, Bluemagicon

Hi and welcome to Processwire forum.

I had similar problem before on one older server hosting. Their server needed writable directory "tmp" in root of web ad this directory was not there. I fixed it simply with creating that /tmp folder and set write permissions without messing with $config->uploadTmpDir variable.

There is another thread i found in forum too.

Wish there was an answer to this. After upgrading to 2.4.0

I try to upload image and it says:

Error writing to /tmp. Please define $config->uploadTmpDir and ensure it is writable

I do have tmp directory at the root and it is writable (0777) . If someone knows how to fix this please share!

When you say you have a tmp directory at the root, do you mean the root of your site, or the root of your server? It needs to be the latter.

Otherwise, have you tried following those instructions?

Create this folder: /site/assets/uploads/ and set its permissions appropriately.

Then in your config.php file, enter this:

$config->uploadTmpDir = dirname(__FILE__) . '/assets/uploads/';

That should work - let us know how you go.

PS alternatively, you could point that config directive to the /tmp directory if it is at the root of your site.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By ICF Church
      Hi 👋
      Anyone else having this problem?
      Requirements:
      - Repeater (matrix & normal) with mutlilanguage fields (text, textarea…) 
      - Backend language set to something other than default (ie. German) 
      Reproduce:
      - Add a new repeater Item (ajax, I found no way to possible to disable it with matrix)

(Notice how the default language tab is active instead of the backend language…)
      - Write something into the (default language) field
      - Try to save, if field is required, this will not work. If not required, then when reloading, the content will be inside the backend language field, instead of the default language field who was (presumably) active
      Analysis:
      When  loading  a new repeater element with ajax, the default langue tab is active, but the backend language inputfield is visible (with no visual indication). When writing into the field, it will populate the backend language. When manually clicking on the default language tab (which is already active), the field will switch to the actual default language field (which is [now] empty) (that can now be populated…)
      Also Notice, the labels of the elements to be added are in default language as well instead of the translated label (images instead of Bilder)…
      ProcessWire 3.0.148, Profields 0.0.5…
      Is it my system configuration, or does anyone else have the same issue? This is a screen recording of the problem:
      Issue: https://github.com/processwire/processwire-issues/issues/1179

Screen Recording 2020-02-25 at 14.18.31.mov
    • By horst
      Change Default Language to be None-English | Walk Trough
      When you start a new (single) language site and the default language shouldn't be English, you can change it this way:
      Go to the modules core section:

Select the Language ones by the filter function:

We have four language related modules here, but for a single language site in none english,
      we only need the base module, named "Languages Support". So go on and install it.

After that, you can leave it, ... 

... and switch to the newly created Language section under SETUP:

Select the default language

Enter your new language name or its Shortcut and save the page.
      I will use DE for a single language site in german here as example:

Now I go to the ProcessWire online modules directory, down to the subsection for language packs and select
      and download my desired (german) one: 

After downloading a lang pack as ZIP, I go back into my SETUP > LANGUAGES > default language page in admin,
      select the downloaded lang pack ZIP and install it:

After the ZIP is uploaded, the files are extracted and installed, most of my screen is already in
      the new default language. To get all fully switched, we save and leave that page, ...

... and completely logout from the admin.

Now, of course, we directly login back, ...

... and see, that now also the cached parts of the admin have switched to the new default language. 🙂

That was it for a single language site in none english.

If you want to have a multi language site, just add more languages to the SETUP > LANGUAGES section.
      When using a multi language site, I think you also want to use multi language input fields, and maybe different page names for your language page pendents. If so, you need to go into MODULES > CORE > filter LANGUAGE and install what you need or want to use of it, (if not already done).
      Thanks for reading and happy coding, 🙂

• By snobjorn
      Here's my Norwegian language pack for ProcessWire. I've been adding translations over some time, to suit my own projects users needs.
      Last updated:
      2020/05/08 (May 8, 2020)
      Not yet complete. Translations that non-superusers will see is prioritized.
      Name:
      ProcessWire-Norwegian-Language-Pack-nb-NO
      Translated using:
      ProcessWire 3.0.155 dev
      Number of files:
      191 wire files and 95 site files – ranging from just started to completely translated. The site files includes translation some free and some pro modules, see the complete list in the README.md at GitHub.
      Available at GitHub:
      https://github.com/snobjorn/processwire-norwegian-language-pack-nb-no
    • By rushy
      Hi. I've been using Processwire for a few years now and installed it on a few different shared hosting servers without issues, but I'm now running into an issue on a Fasthosts shared server that I've not seen before. The installation goes ok and I have a working default site profile but I am unable to complete any uploads of images. It just hangs at the progress spinner during the upload. I thought it might be a priviledge issue so have temporarily set the dir / file privs. as 777 / 666 just to test that but it made no difference. I have no errors in the wire log. In server error log I have:
      set_time_limit() has been disabled for security reasons in ....htdocs/wire/core/ImageSizerEngine.php on line 1035 and i note in the assets/file dir. where the image is being stored the date on the file being created has a year of 1970 and 0 length. If I leave the page this file disappears and nothing has been stored. 
      Does anyone know how I can enable set_time_limit if this is likely to be the problem? 
      Many thanks! Paul
    • By Fanni
      Hi all, 
      I am having some issues uploading a PDF to our website (a problem we’ve had before).
      I have tried reducing the size of the PDF but the problem seems to be with generating the thumbnail image because the upload works under the Fallback mode but the thumbnail is terrible (see attached). 
      Does anybody have any advice about this? Please note that I'm not a developer. 
      Thanks!