Going to be without internet access for a few days

ryan

I'm going to be at sea without internet access for a few days (till about August 9th). Though I'm hoping to come across some random wireless networks here and there, but that's uncertain. Adam and Antti are running the forum, and please click on their +[karma] links when you get the chance. :) Hope everyone has a great week, and I look forward to officially replacing PW 2.0 with PW 2.1 in August.

...don't think about work or PW please, we've got it covered :)

Unless you have a laptop and you really want to :D But no, seriously, have a good break from it all.

Thanks guys, I'm about to get cut off the internet till Sunday... Though today is the first I've been online since we left (I'm on a cell phone).. We were in Orlando for the last couple of days and now on board a ship called the Disney Dream. We're at a port in Cape Canaveral (can see the shuttle launch pad). I've never been on one of these things before and hoping I don't get seasick! Can already feel the boat moving and we haven't even left port. Apparently the Internet is crazy expensive and doesn't even work half the time, so probably not going to try once the 3G signal gets out of range. Our baby is sleeping so I'm just chilling on the cell phone trying to be quiet. :) Thanks again for keeping an eye on things here.

Just don't think about the motion of the ocean and you'll be fine. You get used to it after a while and then it's land sickness you have to worry about when you get back ashore ;)

Have fun!

I'm back! Had a great trip. Thankfully, I didn't get seasick–actually really liked being on the ship. The last day we hit that hurricane Emily in the Bahamas and the motion of the sea became a little more noticeable. Actually I still feel like I'm on the ship as my mind seems to think everything is still rocking back and forth. :) Kind of fun actually. Here's some photos from the trip. http://goo.gl/IQ1ma

Thanks all for keeping an eye on things here while I was gone. And thanks especially to Adam and Antti for running the forum! I'm hoping to get all caught up with email and forum posts over the next 2 days.

Thanks,

Ryan

• 2 weeks later...

Several new messages I want to reply to came in since Friday night here. Apologies I've been unable to reply yet. My wife and daughter are very patient with me during the week, but don't like me near the computer on the weekend. So I've been reading on my phone but can't properly reply till  back in my office at my computer. So thanks for being patient with me this weekend and I'll reply by Monday (or tomorrow if anyone takes a nap at my house) :) I just didn't want anyone to think I was ignoring their message--my computer access is just limited on the weekend, some weekends more than others.

You don't have to apologise for having a life ryan ;) I think I probably spend an unhealthy amount of time in front of a computer, but since I might have an additional family member next year at some point I'm kind of determined to get some things done website-wise whilst I still have a chance to throw some extra time at them!

Thanks Pete! I did the same thing before our little one arrived–got as much work done as possible. My work hours pretty much got cut in half afterwards. But it's definitely worth it.

I just like to keep up with the forum as much as possible. I don't like killing anyone's momentum by making them wait days for an answer on a simple question. Luckily I've got a few minutes at the computer this morning, so hoping to get caught up. :)

• 1 year later...

This thread was started for a different trip, but figured I'd re-use it since it was already here. :) I'm back in town finally after a great vacation. Thanks to everyone for keeping things running smoothly here. It looks like it's been an exciting week here with all that's going on with the Wiki and some cool releases. I look forward to getting caught up! Today I'm just unpacking and such, but will be back in the forum and email tomorrow. It may take me a few days to get fully caught up. To people that have posted messages directed at me or emailed me, thanks for your patience. I will be sure to get caught up on every thread and email.

• Like 3

Welcome back Ryan! You will sure have a lot to read

I'm down to 2 pages left in my "View new Content" tab!

You went away for five minutes and it's like we all went hyper.

Good to see! In the past when I've left town, things quieted down a bit for a couple days. This time it did the opposite. I think we've reached a good critical mass here with the forum. I need to take more vacations now. :)

Welcome back! I apologize for adding so many posts to the forum in your absence. In my defense, I will say that Joss's output over the past week was at least double that of mine.

You and Joss have very high post-to-like counts (aka: folks really like your posts). That means you should stop apologizing and we should thank you guys for your contributions here. But post and like counts are not a factor anyone here watches other than for a friendly high five. Unless someone is here to spam, they should post whenever they want. That's what this forum is here for. Keep posting as much as possible! The ProcessWire project is lucky to have you guys here.

• Like 1

...post and like counts are not a factor anyone here watches other than for a friendly high five.

So, it being almost the end of the year (and in the UK we have just had SPOTY, won by the mighty Bradley Wiggins), it's time for some friendly high fives!

The results are in and the top three posters' (with > 100 posts) likes-to-posts ratios are -

1. nik
  2. Joss
  3. MadeMyDay

Notes

1. There is a difference between clicking 'Like' and actually posting to thank someone for an answer, one takes more effort and probably replaces the other, but likes are easy to quantify.
  2. As Ryan rightly points out above, MathewSchenker (92 posts at the time of writing) would be 3rd if he had made 100 posts, with or without any more likes.
  3. Ryan should have a much bigger score than he has, see note 1 above. If someone counted actual thanks posted in replies, it would be no contest.

Hmm, I am being likened to Sports Personality of The Year?

If you saw my current shape you would realise how incredibly inappropriate that is!

(And anyway, Ryan has been messing up the count by just hitting Like for absolutely everything in a desperate attempt to wade through it all.... :) )