Module for Calculating SERP Display Width of Meta Titles & Descriptions

Posted (edited)

This is my first module. It is primitive, like my neighbor who loves to fire up his new Makita breaker hammer after 21:30h. Please, feel free to do whatever you want. I don't promise I will add better functionality but maybe... If you do, please ping and send me back. Thanks!

It loads every page on the backend. It calculates the text width in two fields. In my case, the fields are named "seo" and "desc." The first is for the meta title, and the second is for the meta description. If you have other names for these two fields, you have to edit the JavaScript and CSS file and manually change part of the IDs. I hope it will help! If there are any updates, I will post them here. Happy ProcessWiring!

PS: These measurements are specifically for desktop and Google's SERP (Search Engine Results Page). 

UPDATE on 15 May 2024: Google started to calculate (truncate) the meta title for 20px Arial yesterday. The Module has been updated.

Here is the link to download the latest version: https://github.com/Leftfield1/SeoTextWidth/tree/main

EDIT: The version 0.0.4.

PROVE IMAGE: You can check the meta title, which was measured with 18px Arial and it was less than 512 pixels.

Screenshot 2024-05-14 231125.png

Edited by Leftfield
Updated version: 0.0.4
  • Like 8

Silly me. I thought calculating width would be simple. Just tested, Google is truncating meta titles by 18px and meta descriptions by 13px. I need to take some time (busy ATM) to fix this in JavaScript, and will update again. It is updated.