Catamaransailing Site www.a-cat.nl

OllieMackJames

Here's my first processwire site: www.a-cat.nl ported from modx, the design was already ported from wordpress to modx.

HTML Kickstart is used for the basic structure. I had someone do the porting from modx.

There are still a number of layout issues with it, having to do with html kickstart margins mainly, but all in all this site is pretty much as I like it.

The amazing and awesome apeisa thumbnails module is used to make all the images that are used all over the place in this site, that really makes a difference in speeding up writing new articles, I used to crop the images offline, but now it is a snap.

The site also uses the ProCache module, so tell me how fast it feels.

Any suggestions welcome!

I am sooo happy I found processwire, I come from modx evolution which was/is absolutely great. Processwire is what I hoped modx would grow into. If you want to know why I now went for processwire read the former leading german modx guy who really nailed it for me in this page where he explains why he left modx and went for processwire.

With processwire I might have to learn a bit more about php, but from what I see so far processwire really delivers on speed, flexibility and simplicity..

• Like 6

Great site! The design really compliments the nautical/sailing photography quite nicely. It makes me want to go sailing. I wish I could… But we have no big lakes, rivers, or any large bodies of water in Atlanta… well except for in my basement when it rains.  :undecided:

• Like 2

Hey Ollie! I like it! And it loads pretty fast, so no complaints here... Just one thing right now: For me as a designer there is a bit too much Arial in there. ;) Why not testing a few webfonts? This could make the whole site a bit more characteristic, more elegant. At least for your headlines...

Here are many good and free webfonts available for download:

http://www.fontsquirrel.com

Great find! Do I need typekit.net to have these fonts showing up on my webpages ?

Typekit and FontSquirrel are two different technologies.

Typekit uses webfonts. FontSquirrel uses @font-face.

Check out their FAQ:

http://www.fontsquirrel.com/faq

Basically you can browse their site and download a font. Turn around and use their Font Generator.

http://www.fontsquirrel.com/tools/webfont-generator

It creates web friendly fonts variations for you to use in a ZIP file, along with a sample demo page.

Here is a small example on how to use @font-face.

http://css-tricks.com/snippets/css/using-font-face/

Personally I bought a year subscription with Typekit, because they offer some commercial fonts that are not allowed to use with @font-face.

• Like 1

We use both - typekit and @fontface. Depends on which fonts we want to use.

typekit has 1 disadvantage: once typekit is down, your fonts wont show up as planned. 2 days ago typekit had a downtime . but only 30min. in the late (central european) evening. 

But the wide variety of typekit makes it still a no-brainer!

Ollie, it is stunning fast.

Just out of curiosity, what selector are you using to get the "Ook op deze site..." carousel? Cause the pages it is referring to use different templates/parents I guess..

$pages->find('template=article, article_images!=, sort=random, limit=10, id!='.$page->id);

Quite simple (as most things in PW) :-)

Hey Ollie! I like it! And it loads pretty fast, so no complaints here... Just one thing right now: For me as a designer there is a bit too much Arial in there. ;) Why not testing a few webfonts? This could make the whole site a bit more characteristic, more elegant. At least for your headlines...

Here are many good and free webfonts available for download:

http://www.fontsquirrel.com

Thanks Georgson for the suggestion, will look into that!

$pages->find('template=article, article_images!=, sort=random, limit=10, id!='.$page->id);

Quite simple (as most things in PW) :-)

Thanks for chiming in Jeroen, btw, Jeroen ported this design from modx evo to PW, did a great job while at it, so Jeroen, thanks again!

Ollie, it is stunning fast.

Just out of curiosity, what selector are you using to get the "Ook op deze site..." carousel? Cause the pages it is referring to use different templates/parents I guess..

Thanks, glad to hear it is fast on your end as well, kudos to Ryan for the procache module that drives that!

• Like 1