Limited Module Edit

Robin S

Limited Module Edit

Allows non-superusers to edit a limited selection of modules.

Of course, there are good reasons why non-superusers are normally not allowed to access the configuration screen of modules so use this module with caution.

Usage

1. Install Limited Module Edit.

2. In the module configuration select one or more modules in the "Modules enabled for limited editing" field.

When you enable a module here a corresponding "lme" permission is installed. For example, if WireMailSmtp is enabled here then a permissioned named "lme-wire-mail-smtp" will be installed.

lme-1

3. For any role that you want to allow to configure the previously selected modules, enable the "module-admin" permission and the "lme" permissions for any module they may configure.

lme-2

4. Users with these permissions will now see a special Modules section in the main menu that provides links to configure only the modules they have been given permission for. These users are not allowed to install modules nor are they allowed to uninstall the modules they have permission to configure.

lme-3

https://github.com/Toutouwai/LimitedModuleEdit
https://processwire.com/modules/limited-module-edit/

• Like 12

This does the business nicely, but I wonder whether the 'Modules' menu item could be optional or modifiable. I want to include the module config links on a webmaster's dashboard - which I can do easily (and include a &collapse_info=1 param, which I think makes sense in this context), but then I don't really need/want the 'Modules' menu item.

Edit: Maybe something like a config field "Menu name" with "Modules" as the default. Blanking it would remove the menu, or a different name could be used.

Edit2: And maybe an option to collapse the info section 😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MarkE said:

This does the business nicely, but I wonder whether the 'Modules' menu item could be optional or modifiable. I want to include the module config links on a webmaster's dashboard - which I can do easily (and include a &collapse_info=1 param, which I think makes sense in this context), but then I don't really need/want the 'Modules' menu item.

Sounds quite specific to your particular use case, but it was easy to support so in v0.1.2 I've added a checkbox in the module config to not show the menu.

2 hours ago, MarkE said:

maybe an option to collapse the info section

Thanks for pointing this out - it's now collapsed in v0.1.2 as that info isn't something that non-superusers need to be bothering themselves with. I forget that PW has this open by default because I use the AdminOnSteroids option that automatically collapses it.

2 hours ago, MarkE said:

Maybe something like a config field "Menu name"

Too niche to bother with in the module config. It can be translated if needed, either in the core translations for multi-language sites or via wireLangReplacements() in site/ready.php

wireLangReplacements([
	'Modules' => ['My menu title', 'LimitedModuleEdit'],
]);

• Like 4