$_POST array is empty when sent via ajax

cpx3

Hello everybody,

I try to send data from a formbuilder form with ajax (to verify a mail address). Everything works fine, but as well $_POST as $_GET are always empty. Any idea what I am doing wrong?

$("#Inputfield_email").on("blur", function (e) {
    e.preventDefault();

// Get the form data as an object
      var postdata = $("#Inputfield_email").val();
      alert(postdata); //Works fine
      // Send an AJAX request to the server to retrieve the selected format
      $.ajax({
        url: "/ajax/ajax-is-newsletter-subscriber/",
        type: "GET",
        data: {daten: postdata},
        success: function (result) {
		// Works fine to, but result (print_r($_GET) is empty
          alert("OK" + result);
        }
        }
      });
  });

EDIT: When I use my own php file which is outside Processwire, everything works fine. So the problem seems to be that the GET and POST data gets deleted on the way.

1 hour ago, cwsoft said:

Hi and welcome,

How does your PHP script look like, what does it return as result on success or failure?

it looks like print_r($_GET) and the result is an empty array. The problem occurs only if I use a Processwire page to handle the request.

Any reason for not using PW's own $input variable? https://processwire.com/api/ref/wire-input/

First of all, your example code should probably be a POST request as you are submitting data and not requesting a page for instance.
Then you can simply log the received data with something like this, in order to get the content from your object {'daten':'...'}, and validate it as email.

$email = $input->post("daten", "email");
if ($email) {
	//... do what you need to do. For instance create a record, and echo some valid JSON as a status message to display to the user. 
}

First, a million thanks. I tried it that way, too, but without success. GET, POST, everything. The only thing I mentioned is the fact, that when I use get the /?name=value part gets deleted. When I use a page outside Processwire, it works perfectly...

• 2 weeks later...

$_POST is an associative array of variables passed to the current script via the HTTP POST method when using application/x-www-form-urlencoded or multipart/form-data as the HTTP Content-Type in the request. Not when using application/json. For json, you'd typically do something like this:

$data = json_decode(file_get_contents('php://input'), true);

AJAX is Javascript, and Javascript libraries often use the JSON method. I'm not sure if jQuery does, but I had the same issue when working with AngularJS in the past.

• Like 2

Actually, the answer is much simpler. I had the same problem with another script. When I call the page with "url: '/ajax/captcha-verify'", the data gets deleted, with url: '/ajax/captcha-verify/' it works. Thanks to everybody!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, cpx3 said:

Actually, the answer is much simpler. I had the same problem with another script. When I call the page with "url: '/ajax/captcha-verify'", the data gets deleted, with url: '/ajax/captcha-verify/' it works. Thanks to everybody!

Ah that is a classic mistake I also made in the past. Page paths always have to end with a backslash in ProcessWire (but that is adjustable in the template settings!).

When you call up an URL you can leave the backslash - this will work - but in that case theres a redirect going on that leads to the data-loss when submitting form data.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Actually that was no solution for that problem as the data get deleted at another site, too. It is a simple AJAX POST, works, when I send it directly (I tried it with get) and all the data is deleted when I do it inside a Processwire templates directory. I made a new directory outside and now it works perfectly, so there cannot be any problems with my code.