Automatic text translation by support for Deepl translation API

bartelsmedia

"Deepl" is an unbelievably good (paid) text translation service, that mops the floor with Google Translate.

They have an API and it would be awesome, if there would be a module, that would integrate it for easy content translation.

It could be a right-click context menu on the language tab:

2019-03-04_1927.png.358400528f9ab9cda33a480d54dc7782.png

It should ask from which of available other language it shall take translate from.

What do you think?

• Like 1

I am not the right person to really comment on this given that the only abilities I have in a second language is a smattering of travel Spanish, but this does seem pretty cool and makes you sound a lot less silly ?

DeepL

image.thumb.png.5614adcfc3790fd46f2825ec64599d73.png

Google

image.thumb.png.41b0687d7c8d077ac8b1bbe5eb10d419.png

So, a DeepL module sounds like a pretty cool idea to me.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, bartelsmedia said:

It's less ideal with single words, definitions or short terms.

Without context such things very often can have various meanings and due to the nature of the differences between languages they cannot be translated "blindly". In these cases only a human translator can put them into context in order to properly translate them.

Indeed. Nonetheless, DeepL is of awesome help to translate my website content. I use it as a basis and tweak the result. It saves tons of time. The only missing thing would be more comfort to save me from this copy from Processwire, paste to Deepl, copy from Deepl, paste to Processwire.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I looked into this and one of the limitations that their website does not say is that this API is not available to anyone purchasing access from the U.S. This basically is a dealbreaker for a lot of people and the implementation would mean it's limited to a very small number of people. Modules essentially would only be useful to someone that can purchase using billing addresses in the EU. I briefly considered some sort of credit card fraud... but passed haha.

I was really interested in DeepL and went to sign up for the API to get access to it and only found out that I couldn't buy access to it when I went to enter my CC information. Very disappointing that they did not say this anywhere on their website (I checked). I spoke with them this week so the information is up to date on this finding.

I sent an email to their staff and they said they are working on making it available outside of the EU but that it isn't due to "tax reasons". They didn't give any sort of timeline so until some point in the future this would only be available to users there.

Big bummer.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

That looks like it's only good for Payoneer to Payoneer payments where both parties have an account.

Kind of a bummer- I had already started working on a module before I ran into this problem. I'll pick it back up if/when the service becomes available in the U.S.

14 hours ago, usualCommission said:

I sent an email to their staff and they said they are working on making it available outside of the EU but that it isn't due to "tax reasons". They didn't give any sort of timeline so until some point in the future this would only be available to users there.

Is this a technical or a legal limitation?

DeepL is such a strange company. Arising like Phoenix from the Ashes with a beyond mind-staggering service but sales/marketing appears quite autistic for my taste. Apparently, they seem not to be looking for the small fishes. If I would be them, I would offer an affiliate business, motivating guys like you making a module and participate from each use.

Conspiracy theory: DeepL actually is a Google front. Perhaps for legal reasons. Just wild speculation. Mark my words. You read it here first. ?

That could be one reason or maybe their backend isn't that powerful and scalable by now as they might need it to be. 

Or... building reputation, some clients, enough press and BUZZ that Google or Microsoft take a closer look and maybe even buy them. Wouldn't be the first time.

In terms of affiliate business... yes... that could be a great opportunity. Similar to GorillaROI. And they offer a quite small service but it seems to work out pretty well for both sides.

• Like 1

I think @wbmnfktr may have a good point on scalability and load handling.

It's curious because they have been around long enough to break into the American market and their performance is so good that I'd have expected an acquisition by now. Very odd indeed.

Whether technical, financial, or bureaucratic, the fact stands that they've been around long enough to go into the American market- they just haven't. If they're citing tax purposes either it's a f****-off answer, or they're just trying to do it now. I'm an American and I run VPSs in the EU with a subscription model which would be similar. There's too many variables here to even guess.

• 1 year later...

@bartelsmedia Back with good news a year and a half later...

I am working on a ProcessWire DeepL integration. I just posted details about it today with a full rundown, screenshots, and an alpha version download.

This thread stuck with me and I kept checking back with DeepL to keep tabs on their API availability and as of spring 2020 they are allowing subscriptions from within the US. It only costs $5.49 per month and is worth every penny. I'm going to be launching a new website for our company in the next few weeks so I'll be using it in production and refining it. Really glad this came in time for that project because it's going to save a lot of headaches!

If anyone wants to spend a couple of bucks on an API subscription, download the module, and help out with testing it would be great to get feedback.

Read more about it here on this post

• Like 3