To create a new gitlab issue, I'd like to send an Email to the following email address using FormBuilder: 

incoming+account/repository@incoming.gitlab.com

unfortunately, the / in the email gets striped by the sanitizer:

wire('sanitizer')->email(incoming+account/repository@incoming.gitlab.com'); 
// output: incoming+accountrepository@incoming.gitlab.com

Is there any way to configure the sanitizer? Any other Ideas how to send the mail to this address?

Ps.: I can not define the email format as it is defined by gitlab. The format is also kind of "common" and known as email-alias in the form of emailaccount+alias@domain.com – gmail uses it to label mails…

https://help.wodify.com/hc/en-us/articles/234441508-How-Do-I-Create-an-Email-Alias-

Weird. I've never seen a forward slash in an email address.

If I enter the above address in the TO field in Gmail, it's being converted to incoming@incoming.gitlab.com

https://www.jochentopf.com/email/chars.html says it's "maybe" allowed:

The forward slash is often used in email addresses used by X.400 gateways. Example: 'PN=Joe/OU=X400/@gateway.com'. Because the slash is used as a directory separator in UNIX and other operating systems, it is probably not a good idea to use it in local parts. If you ever want to save the mail in a mailbox named after the local part, you will have problems.

As I said, I have no control over that part… It works in my email client and is what gitlab provides for inbound issues… The one end I can change is my implementation of PW 😉

Sadly, gitlab has known that the forward slash is problematic for quite a while now but the resolutions keeps being pushed from milestone to milestone. There are a lot of mail servers and webmail clients out there that can't deal with these slashes (MS Exchange and Debian's exim default configurations are such examples), so any solution likely involves moving to more common delimiters in the local part of such gitlab addresses, which in turn means that PHP's built-in email sanitizing filter (which $sanitizer->email uses) will then be sufficient.

To speed things up, it might help to upvote the corresponding gitlab issue.

• Like 1

I've just read this quickly. Maybe for now your options are:

1. Sanitise separately: i..e, do the email itself bit then append your incoming+account/
  2. Use your own regex to sanitise the email (e.g. using $string = $sanitizer->match(string $value, string $regex);  Docs are here)
  3. Sanitise as you are doing then re-insert your / afterwards using string replace or similar.

Like I said, I read this quickly, so, I might be missing the point 🙂.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now