2012 Critic’s Choice CMS Awards

diogo

Mike, thanks for setting this up. Glad to see that ProcessWire got listed in the nominations for best open source CMS and best budget CMS!

One question that comes to mind as I look at the voting system (WP-Polls) is if it supports any one of these?

• Require a validated email address. Meaning the vote doesn't count till they submit it and click a link in their email confirming it.
  • Require each vote to be associated with a facebook or twitter account.
  • Require people to include a brief text review (a sentence to a paragraph) qualifying their choice.

The reason I ask is because anything that doesn't add some kind of qualification is vulnerable to the same thing afflicting the opensourcems.com rating system, here's more details of the problem. To summarize, these systems (that determine uniqueness by IP and session/cookie) are easily manipulated by proxy servers and blind submissions. Adding a qualifier (like one of the above bullets) drastically reduces or eliminates the problem.

• Like 1

This is a quantity-based vote, so even with a perfect voting system of this type, I would still expect the results to be strongly weighted by community size over any other factor. But it's a real honor to be listed next to these other systems, all of which have been around a lot longer, and are far more known, than ProcessWire. But that puts us at a real disadvantage given our relative age and community size, so I hope that people don't take the ultimate results of this too seriously. But just being listed in this poll is a nice honor for ProcessWire and hopefully a way that more will discover ProcessWire.

• Like 2

I am pulling down the existing polls and redoing them with list.ly. Will be back up in a moment. You will need to resubmit your votes. Apologies for the inconvenience. Votes count for the people's choice segment, not for the critic's choice ones. I created two so that community size wasn't a factor.

• Like 1

For some reason I can't see Processwire in Best Free CMS category. Why so?) I'd like to vote for it in this category too

Me too, but I think this is either because we didn't have enough nominations in that category… Or there are multiple similar categories (Best Open Source, Best Free, Best Budget -- which could all be potential synonyms), to spread the love and give more platforms a shot. Seems like a good idea IMO. One CMS can say they are the best Open Source CMS, another can say they are the best Free CMS, and another can say they are the best Budget CMS -- 3 winners on equal footing rather than just 1. This seems to work given that there isn't much crossover in what's listed between the categories (except for Concrete 5, in the categories mentioned).

Awards like these are more like voting competitions than actual "which cms is best" competitions, but very nice to see many smaller projects getting nice coverage there. Actually quite a few cms that I wasn't aware of before. Great work Mike!

Awards like these are more like voting competitions than actual "which cms is best" competitions, but very nice to see many smaller projects getting nice coverage there. Actually quite a few cms that I wasn't aware of before. Great work Mike!

Normally they are voting contests yes but as I mentioned, I'm doing this in two ways .. One for People's Choice in which case, voting counts and another which is Critic's Choice in which the judges will decide and votes won't matter.

I'm not looking to become another Packt Open Source Awards type deal. That's one of the reasons I started these, so smaller systems or communities have equal chances.

• Like 4

I missed that critic's choice thing earlier, great thing and really looking forward to it! Of course the question of which cms is best is still very subjective. It would be great to have little bit more descriptive categories, like "Best cms to build small product catalog type of site (project budget under 5000$)" or "Best cms to build large (over 1000 pages) multi-language site for big organisation." etc... I don't see much value putting open source and commercial cms in different categories, if we have some kind of project budget in those categories. Also those categories could change every year, so it would give nice change to winners also (I assume).

Because I have my PW forums bookmark pointing at the new content, I saw only now that there is a badge for the awards on the main page of the forum. Can I suggest that there is also one in the other pages?

post-88-0-03191300-1350317404_thumb.png

We need one at the top of every f**** page! We're falling behind in both categories. Still an honor to be listed, but since we're on the list it would be great to win in at least one category! I will spam my family to vote as well. Pay it forward!

I will add it to some more pages. But the reality is that the ones rated above us will likely remain rated above us simply because their audience sizes are a lot larger and they've been around longer.

Thanks Ryan. I guess that's true, but these kinds of awards do shine on your CMS even if it's only a nomination. So a couple of more votes will let others know ProcessWire is a CMS to consider in their toolbelt. That's why I'm bringing in the family :) .

• Like 1

Personally, I have to say I'm quite surprised as to how many votes everyone is getting, but we've got lots of time.

Something worth pointing out is that some people are voting multiple times using different accounts (they might vote once with facebook, once with linkedin, once with twitter and once with google+) and it will make the votes look padded but when I do the final tally, those 4 votes will only count for 1. You can see who votes and the duplicates by clicking on the number beside the thumbs up.

So regardless of what the numbers really look like, there will be some corrections. This is one of the reasons I am using list.ly is it makes people log in to vote.

I think everyone will find it fair in the long run.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Only 340 votes to go until the end of the day

I never expected we could complete on votes with projects like Concrete5 and the others that were above us. In terms of size/age, I thought it very likely that we would come in last, despite [iMO] being the best product with the best community. So I'm very proud of how well we did, with somewhere between 110-120 "thumbs up" votes in both categories, last I checked. Despite being the smallest (in project age and user base), we were far from last in votes. I think we did great.

The fact that we came in above both ModX and ExpressionEngine in "Best Budget CMS" was also great I thought. Though all it would have taken is 1 tweet from EE or ModX, and I'm sure they would have gone to 1st, based purely on size of user base... so I'm glad they never participated in that way. :)

Thanks to everyone who voted! Also want to thank Mike for running this. I feel like we've gained a lot of new users here since these awards started, and I think that may have something to do with the exposure ProcessWire has been getting there.

• Like 1

I feel like we've gained a lot of new users here since these awards started, and I think that may have something to do with the exposure ProcessWire has been getting there.

Ryan, can you share some google analytics stats with us?

This graph already looks promising, though compared to other CMS's we are still quite small: http://www.google.com...e#q=processwire