Jason Huck

404 Page Missing From Admin Page Tree

When logged into the admin as the superuser, the 404 page appears in the page tree per usual. When logged in as a "site administrator" (a custom role), the 404 page is missing. The 404 page uses the basic-page template and hasn't been edited or altered in any way. Under "who can access this page", it shows the expected permissions (site administrators can definitely edit basic pages), and in fact, if a site administrator navigates directly to the edit screen for the page, it works fine. So it's not a permissions issue per se, it just doesn't show up in the page tree for users in that role. It is a multilingual site, and English is not the default language, in case that's relevant. Any thoughts?

• Like 1

The 404 page is a system page like the trash and therefore only visible to superusers.

• Like 1

I see, thanks. I wonder if there's any way to circumvent that, especially since there's nothing preventing non-superusers from actually editing the page if they know the link (or guess the ID). I didn't realize the Trash also only appears for super users. I would think that would be useful to other types of users as well.

Regarding 404, there has been some earlier discussion in this issue: https://github.com/ryancramerdesign/ProcessWire/issues/809. In my opinion this is not a very good design decision, but currently this is not easy to circumvent.

Trash is another issue, and for that you should check out Trashman. Allowing access to trash is another design decision I find less than optimal, but luckily Trashman provides a viable alternative for that.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jason Huck said:

I see, thanks. I wonder if there's any way to circumvent that, especially since there's nothing preventing non-superusers from actually editing the page if they know the link (or guess the ID). I didn't realize the Trash also only appears for super users. I would think that would be useful to other types of users as well.

Just change the template of the 404 page from basic-page to a dedicated 404 template and restrict editing via the template Access tab. I honestly thing PW should have a separated template for the 404 page by default.

These are hardcoded in the ProcessPageList core module, so probably not. On the reasoning behind it you'll probably have to wait for Ryan to answer.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Peter Knight
      Hi guys
      is there a checklist of items I should consider for diagnosing a series of pages which display a 404 error?
      Basically I have built a Blog and all my posts are under a folder called 'Posts'. Some of these pages successfully display while others display a 404 page. 
      This is what I have confirmed so far...
      1. All pages are within the same root folder 'Posts'
      2. All pages have the same template and fields completed
      3. All pages have the same properties under Settings > Who can access this page
      4. Pages have no redirects in place
      5. Pages have no special characters or anything funky in the URL slug
      There are no errors showing in the log either so I am stuck 😕
      Thanks
    • By quickjeff
      Hi Guys, 
      I have been debugging a site for the last 2 hours and cannot solve the issue. 
      I have a site running on 3.0.148. 
      I installed the Kongondo Blog module and was updating the templates to include the website style. 
      Once everything was set and done, I checked the page tree to see an error appear. 
      Template must be assigned a name before 'filename' can be accessed
      The same error appears in templates. 
      Debugging Steps
      I checked the templates in the server to ensure I didnt accidentally delete the namespace.  Deleted cache in browser and server under assets Still no go. 
      Any help is appreciated. 
      Thanks! 
    • By Andi
      Getting a little deeper into the ProcessWire state-of-mind here. I seriously think I wouldn't have come back to webdev if it wasn't for this wonderful little gem of a CMS.
      I have an "Options" field added to all users on a site. If the user has anything other then "default" selected, I would like to show a permanent message in the admin like the one in the screenshot, only so that the user can't close it. As a friendly reminder that he changed that option from default to something crazy 🙂
      I've read up on how to send messages to users, but where would I hook into to make this show up all the time in the backend?
      https://processwire.com/api/ref/wire/message/
      Thanks in advance!

• By BitPoet
      Here's a small new module that adds a "Manage tags" button to the template list, just like the field list already has.
      Easily add, remove and change tags for your templates.
      https://github.com/BitPoet/TemplateTagsEditList

• By Noel Boss
      👋 PW Pros…
      I have some hooks that I need to bind at the init phase (or even __construct) and I was wondering, and I couldn't find a good and simple way to determine if I'm in the admin. Would be nice if there is a reliable short option to do so, but I can't seem to find one… Is there a coherent way to tell this no matter where I am?
      Right now, I use the following method inside one of my modules:
      public function isAdmin($page = null) { if ( strpos($this->input->url, $this->urls->admin) !== false || $this->process instanceof ProcessPageList || $this->process instanceof ProcessPageEdit || ($page instanceof Page && $page->rootParent->id == $this->config->adminRootPageID) ) { return true; } return false; } @ryan wouldn't it be nice to have something like wire()->isAdmin(); like wire()->user->isLoggedin(); to tell if we are in admin – very early on (probably even in __construct() phase of modules?