Which version should I start with

mel47

Hi,

I'm in process to convert my existing website to another CMS. After extensive searches and trying tons of demo, I found this one. I played the demo and also create a local install. It seems great, and will probably fit my needs, mostly because of the built-in multilingual support.

I currently tried the 2.7.2 version but I was wondering if I should start developing on the beta version? Is it to a level enough stable or I should go with something more stable but without the new functionnalities? I expect to work for the next weeks (maybe all the summer) on my website, since I have to learn, build the skeleton and I have a lot of content to transfer. 

Thanks

Mélanie

Hi Mélanie and welcome to ProcessWire!

Since you are starting a new project, I would definitely go with the devns branch which is the upcoming 3.x version. It is quite close to being released as the new stable version and many of us are using it on production sites, including processwire.com

Don't be shy about asking questions as you start to dive in - I am sure you'll love it :)

• Like 7

Welcome, Mélanie!

It seems like almost everybody here tend to move to the latest dev release as soon as it is possible. Maybe it is because so much new tasty features are in almost every dev release, or maybe because almost every dev release is as stable as master. I would definitely encourage you not to be afraid of the dev status in most of the cases. Maybe not for a billion-visit-per-day sites, but in most cases)

P.S. But backups are still a must, you know.

• Like 1

If you take the red pill and go deep down the dark path of using devns....just kidding

This module is definitive the best way to go http://modules.processwire.com/modules/process-wire-upgrade/

(Since every week there is a new dev version - upgrading with the module is a very easy thing and you could complete roll back.)

Using the actual devns for a upcoming project and i think i'll be finished if the 3.x stable is there - then i will upgrade to stable and leave it on this version until i need other features or have a problem...but that are just my thoughts.

regards mr-fan

• Like 1

For the time being it's fine to use 2.7.2 – that's our latest stable release after all – but if you're just now starting a new project, and especially if it's going to be under development for a while, I'd strongly suggest basing it on either 2.8 or 3.x devns.

If you're feeling slightly adventurous and choose to go with 2.8 or 3.x, the choice between these two depends mainly on whether you plan to make use of external libraries etc. in your project. 3.x includes namespaces, 2.8 doesn't – other than that they're essentially the same and will remain so thanks to the fact that Ryan has mostly automated the process so that updates to 3.x also get applied to 2.8.

While namespaces are cool for serious development and can make it a) easier to pull external libraries into ProcessWire or b) pull ProcessWire into other projects, in my experience most site projects don't benefit much from them. If the idea of namespaces makes you uncomfortable and/or you have no idea what they are, it's absolutely fine to go with 2.8.

For the most part the built-in FileCompiler in 3.x hides namespaces from plain sight, but if you just want to build a regular site with ProcessWire and don't want to worry about all that namespace stuff at all, you'll probably feel more at home with the 2.x branch :)

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your answers. I decided to give a shot and try version 3. To be honest, I don't really know what is namespace and what to do with it but since I start from scratch, it may be better to go with the future stable version.  I don't think I will really need modules other than the core so it shouldn’t be a problem.

Next step is now finding my design...

• Like 1